Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do you cast in your books?

Eli

Default Who do you cast in your books?

Whenever I get serious with a book and sit down determined to read it, as I go along I find myself struggling quite a bit, distracted almosy, to have famous people I like as the characters so that it'll help me like the characters more. I do this with every book I ever read. Even Harry Potter until the movies come out (and even then... well... let's just say, Gary Oldman was a POOR choice which I'LL never imagine).

So I thought we could start a thread posting photos, or just plain telling, which famous people, or who, you may cast in your mind as characters in books you read.

That is assuming I'm not the only one.

Since it's the most popular of books these days, I thought I'd post who I see in Harry Potter, or saw until the books came out. So here we go:

First off, I can't say I'm happy with the casting of Tonks and Umbridge in the latest movie, although I can't talk because I imagined a pink-haired Keira Knightly as tonks.
    AND...
    I was enfuriated after reading the 5th book, that Dawn French replaced somebody as the woman in the painting because to me she is and always will be Professor Umbridge. Umbridge was not just vague-looking and frumpy. She also had a sort of comical air to her. This woman playing her does NOT.
    Not happy Jan.

Look! She's even played Harry Potter. Anything but Umbridge.

Who am I kidding? I still imagine Goldie Hawn as Professor Sybil Trelawney. Still, I reckon she's better than Emma "just coz she's British' Thompson, who if you ask me is completely unconvincing in that role. I reckon Goldie would have done a bang up job, even if it would have been COMPLETELY inaccurate.

"I predict you will die, Harry."

Also while we're at it, this is who I imagined as Luna, despite yet again the actress being American. (She's that funny girl Malcolm dated in Malcolm in the Middle, and is Alex on Lost, although not as cool there)

I don't know why, but I LOVED her as Luna! It really worked for me, I felt. If you saw her in Malcolm, you'd know what I mean. The only reason I came up with her in my head was because the character of Luna sounded identical to her character on Malcolm.

I also imagined, and still will if he ever returns, Tim Robbins as Sirius. Despite the fact that J.K. will have a fit if she ever reads this. I just wanted someone who's adorable, instead of raggedy and shit-faced all the time like Gary Oldman. I'm glad I made the choice.

I also imagined Nicol Williams as he was in Return to Oz as Hagrid pre-2001. And as Dumbelodre, foolishly ignoring every physical description of him in the book, I pictured that nice man who owned the Toy Store in Home Alone 2.

Funny what you conjure up in your mind when you read a book, isn't it!

Do tell yours.

I just read the book "P.S. I Love You" which they are now making a movie of starring (gag me) Hilary Swank- she's so wrong for the part it's unbelievable. I don't know if I'll even be able to watch the movie.
    My cast-
    Holly: Reese Witherspoon
    Gerry: Hugh Grant

The Lovely Bones:
    Susie: Jena Malone
    Lindsey: Emily Osment
    Abigail: Ashley Judd
    Jack: Kevin Costner
    Mr. Harvey: Tim Robbins
    Ruth: Mae Whitman

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    The Lovely Bones:
    Susie: Jena Malone
    Lindsey: Emily Osment
    Abigail: Ashley Judd
    Jack: Kevin Costner
    Mr. Harvey: Tim Robbins
    Ruth: Mae Whitman

Oh my freakin' God. I can't believe you just typed that. Did I mention Lovely Bones somewhere?
    That's so weird because Lovely Bones is what triggered this subject; and I forgot to write down my cast.
    I literally bought that today and am in love with it already! Most original book since Harry Potter!

For me (so far):

Suzie: Emily Browning
    Mrs. Salmon: Felicity Huffman
    Mr. Salmon: Noah Bennett on Heroes!
    Mr. Harvey: Steve Buscemi (shudder. I'm traumatized for life now)
    Holly: Zooey Deschanel (just coz I wanted to)
    Franny: (so far, until a description is made) Bonnie Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I just wanted someone who's adorable, instead of raggedy and shit-faced all the time like Gary Oldman.
    I can't be the only person here that finds Gary Oldman hot.

But, I'll give you this, I don't know that he'd be my first pick for Sirius, either. I always want to typecast him into the hot villian.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

This is a bit OT but recently I read a book where one of the main characters was named Tori, and I could only imagine Tori Spelling while I was reading it, and I found that I had a lot less sympathy for her character than I should have, just because I loathe Tori Spelling.

I find it really distracting when a character is played by someone and in a way that I had not at all imagined. Gary Oldman didn't fit for me as Sirius either. Snape was very well-cast though, he's about what I pictured. Generally when I try to "cast" some characters in a book, or in a series I like, I come up totally dry. I love for example Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series, but I have never been able to think of anyone who I think would play the roles well in a movie.

Hit By Ban Bus!

the lovely bones starts off great but turns into a big lumpy syrupy sac o' sacchrine. that writer has some serious sexual issues. i like her idea of heaven though
    jena malone would be good but susie is only 14

Yea, I read the book when it first came out and at that time, Jena Malone was younger and could have more believably played a 14 year old. I definitely think she's too old now, though. I also think Daveigh Chase might be good as Susie.

as much as i love gary oldman (and no laurent, you're not the only one that thinks he's hot), he's not my first choice as sirius either. sirius' character (probably my favourite of all the harry potter characters) is supposed to be gaunt and raggedy but i also think it should have been someone younger than gary, since sirius is supposedly the same age as harry's parents, and they had harry very young, so that would make him not even 40. he's older but actually ralph fiennes would have made a great sirius. a younger daniel day-lewis or christopher eccleston would also have been perfect for the role.
    but my number one choice is billy crudup (too bad he's not english). he'd have to get as skinny and scruffy as he was in 'jesus' son' to fit the part (though he was probably even skinnier in 'stage beauty').
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by doriangray View Post
    the lovely bones starts off great but turns into a big lumpy syrupy sac o' sacchrine. that writer has some serious sexual issues. i like her idea of heaven though
    jena malone would be good but susie is only 14
    glad i'm not the only one that thinks so. i kept hearing raves about this book, finally read it and honestly, i was disappointed. it starts off well and then goes downhill. her writing gets annoying after a while too. definitely overrated.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I also felt the book went for the cheesy angle towards the end. And I felt that Abigail's affair was unnecessary and detracted from the real story that I was interested in- Susie's.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post

But, I'll give you this, I don't know that he'd be my first pick for Sirius, either. I always want to typecast him into the hot villian.
    I LOVE Gary Oldman, and although I had someone else down for Sirius, can't remember who off the top of my head, I think he does it veeeery well in the latest movie. He's so sexy! Just as Sirius was in my head.

Jason Isaacs and Ralph Fiennes were genius choices...I have such a crush on Lucius Malfoy, just too damn sexy.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

^^^
    lucius malfoy is hawt, i thought he was a great choice too.
    and robbie coltrane is perfect for hagrid because, like his character, he is kind of endearing but also really annoying.

right now i'm reading 'until i find you' (john irving). i started it months ago and then read a bunch of other books in between and i finally got back to it last week. anyway, i keep picturing either adrian grenier or a younger, straight rufus wainwright as jack burns. now that i think about it, a younger billy crudup would work as well. but then i could find a way to cast him in anything

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    No, you're certainly not the only one!!

<----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    as much as i love gary oldman (and no laurent, you're not the only one that thinks he's hot), he's not my first choice as sirius either. sirius' character (probably my favourite of all the harry potter characters) is supposed to be gaunt and raggedy but i also think it should have been someone younger than gary, since sirius is supposedly the same age as harry's parents, and they had harry very young, so that would make him not even 40. he's older but actually ralph fiennes would have made a great sirius. a younger daniel day-lewis or christopher eccleston would also have been perfect for the role.
    but my number one choice is billy crudup (too bad he's not english). he'd have to get as skinny and scruffy as he was in 'jesus' son' to fit the part (though he was probably even skinnier in 'stage beauty').

How can you explain Alan Rickman as Snape then, since Snape and Sirius are supposed to be the same age? Alan Rickman is in his 60s and looks every minute of it!! And Snape wasn't even in Azkaban for 12 years, so he doesn't have an excuse.

Gary is a hot, sexy man and the best actor in the whole world IMO.

^^^
    i know they're supposed to be the same age, and alan rickman is too old for the role of snape, but he's so good in it that i am willing to suspend disbelief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information