Thread: Figuring out the ending by page 22

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Figuring out the ending by page 22

I'm still in my chikc lit phase and either I've got the formula down and should have a go at writing one myself or else this is the worst book ever. I'm reading Debutate Divorceé and have just gotten halfway through page 22 and I swear I can tell you exactly what is going to happen. Maybe not all teh twists and turns but the general gist of the thing is wildly apparent. It's worse than a Jackie Collins novel, which actually sucks the intelligence out of you. Does anyone else hate this? Thank god the book was a gift. I would have been pissed had I spent money on it myself.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    It's worse than a Jackie Collins novel, which actually sucks the intelligence out of you.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I love Jackie Collins books, theyre just all about graphic sex, money and greed. Sometimes predictable topics but still interesting ones. Chick lit, I'd venture that sucks the intelligence out of you more than Jackie Collins'too. From the few chick lit books I've read it's a lot of clothes, shoes, and dating jerks.

Funny how both chick lit and Jackie Collins are kind of addictive, though. Both literary junk food, but irresistable nonetheless!

i just can't do chick lit. i'd rather read jackie collins or any other trashy romance novel. at least they don't pretend to be anything other than raunchy guilty pleasures. but chick lit authors seem to be under the delusion that they are real writers. with the exception of the first bridget jones, any chick lit book i've tried to read just infuriates me to the point where i feel like burning the damn thing and i get angry at myself for being such a masochist that i can't just chuck a book i don't like, i force myself to trudge along even though every page is cliché-ridden, faux-introspective, unfunny torture.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Didn't Jackie just put a new one out?

You know when you buy it whats going to happen! The plot is the same with minor details vamped up! This ok if you need an occasional brain rest. That is the very point of the book! That's it's job!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Didn't Jackie just put a new one out?
    I think Jackie's always got something new coming out. Does she even write the things herself?

I looked it up and "Drop Dead Beautiful - The Continuing Adventures of Lucky Santangelo" will be out June 26 in the US.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

SVZ

I can not stand romantic novels. They have to be written by virgins because they have no understanding of romance/sex/love/whatever. And why does EVERY change of emotion have to be prefixed by "Her steely grey eyes darkened and became stormy"

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    I can not stand romantic novels. They have to be written by virgins because they have no understanding of romance/sex/love/whatever. And why does EVERY change of emotion have to be prefixed by "Her steely grey eyes darkened and became stormy"
    Exactly. Used to, ALL the covers had a differnt girl running in front of a different mansion. I called them "Girl in Front of the House "books.
    the plot :indentical , except for who turned out to be the hero.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I like a lot of chicklit but some of it really gets on my nerves with all of the name dropping and casual references to celebrities by their first (but not last) names as if the author actually got permission to include them in this BS story. A typical sentence in most of these would be something like, "Kendra put on her Mac Lipglass limited edition shimmer and then grabbed her Balenciaga bag off of the Ethan Allan couch and slipped into a pair of Christian Louboutin heels before getting into her Mercedes G-Wagen to meet Sarah Jessica at the Ivy."

There are two plot options: The girl meets a cute "out of her league" guy, embarrasses herself, avoids him, and then runs into him again awkwardly, leading to a reunion... they get back together and he professes his love for her.

OR she has has a crush on a hot, but unavailable or asshole guy. He screws her over and she ends up with her cute, male best friend who has always been secretly head over heels in love with her.

Thread Information