Thread: A Problem I Have With Reading

Eli

Default A Problem I Have With Reading

It's only become apparent since 2004, but it's obviously something I have an issue with, and was wondering if anyone knew what it was, or if they have this problem too.

Whenever I get into a book, I just find I can't be stuffed. So unless I'm REALLY forcing myself, I won't get into it. The last book I read properly, if you don't count the most recent Harry Potter book, was Holes by Louis Sachar, two days before Christmas Eve in 2003. I read that in two sittings so I reckon it ruined my ability to read for extended periods of time. Lol.

But now, there's dozens of good books which I've sat down to read, but have never bothered finishing. It's like my mind goes "Bah! Boring. Next one."
    Most recently, I got into Carrie by Stephen King, and I actually got halfway through that one because I read it during my breaks at lunch, and after and so forth... But yet again, lost interest when Gone With the Wind and The Notebook popped up.

I love reading. I just fear that it's ADD or something else. Can anyone help?
    Thanks!

Maybe you need to be very specific about what you read. In other words, it may be a question of choosing super-interesting books TO YOU. Some people will read anything. Maybe you're just more fussy.

On the other hand, do you have problems with concentration anywhere else? I have found, in the past, when I've been depressed I can't settle to ANYTHING cos the interest just isn't there.

<<Hope you managed to read to the end of my message without getting bored, LOL!>>

Good luck!

A*O

There's no shame in giving up on a book that just doesn't Do It for you. I have abandoned many 'classics' after a couple of chapters for exactly that reason, eg, Lord of the Rings zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Personally, I am not a huge novel fan. I'm more drawn to biography or 'real life' stories or general non-fiction and so that's what I tend to go for given the choice. To be honest the only novels I read are those set by my book club and I'm grateful because otherwise I wouldn't read them at all. I also enjoy crime novels (eg Ian Rankin) and also travel writers like Bill Bryson and Paul Theroux as well as more 'political' writers like PJ O'Rourke.

You have to pick which style of book you like and provided it's something that grabs your interest or attention then go for it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Wow i know exactly what you mean! I LOVE reading as well but i find that i start books, and never finish them. I know people who casn only stay with the one book once they start but i can go to the library, get a few books, come home, start reading one, then starting another one, then the others, so I'm basically reading 3 at a time- but usually i dont finish them. I do the same with movies though! It has to REALLY keep me interested- seems we just have short attention spans.

I remember at highschool i had to read Of Mice and Men in a weekend because there was a test on it that Monday. I had to really force myself and seriously, it was agony. I was so bored and i was reading the words but nothing was sinking in or making any sense because i certainly wasn't engrossed in it. One thing i hated about highschool reading was that the books were never of ANY interest to me, so it was SO HARD to get into it and answer questions on exam papers about it, or do any kind of assignment on it.

A*O

Just because a book won a prize or is accepted as a 'classic' does not mean you are obliged to enjoy it. I've tried to read countless such books and abandoned them because I didn't Get It. No shame in that. But I have a few books, famous and obscure, fiction and non-fiction, that I still remember as being the famous One Sit Read where I picked it up and didn't put it down until I'd finished it. Now THAT is a good book.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i'm the opposite. i HAVE to finish a book even if i hate it - i guess it's the virgo OCD kicking in. there are some exceptions of course - could never read more than 40 pages of tolkien.
    i agree with the others though, just because a book is a 'classic' or got good reviews, doesn't mean you have to like it. i suffered through madame bovary for school and from beginning to end, i was just waiting for the stupid bitch to die already. tedious as hell. émile zola as well and he's a literary demi-god.
    i don't know what to tell you though... even good books have parts in them that aren't as gripping as others... maybe you should limit the time you spend on a single book? sometimes if i read a book for too long, even if it's good, i get kind of sick of it and have to wait for a while to come back to it.
    maybe you could start with shorter books and work your way up? and read for 30-45 minutes at a time, every day?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

There have been very few books I've entirely given up on. In fact, I can only think of 3 when I sit down and really think about it: Neuromancer (literally put me to sleep anytime I tried to read more than 2 pages at a time), The Scarlet Letter, and Son of a Witch (sequel to Wicked, which I loved, but have started this book 4 times wanting to love it and only make it through about 4 chapters). Otherwise, I just have to keep reading.

If you have such a short literary attention span, stick with shorter books. There are some great books out there that are under or around 300 pages. If you know you can't concentrate on something long term then picking up a book over 1000 pages like Gone With the Wind is pretty much setting yourself up to abandon it.

AHA! I have this reading disorder! I just never thought of it as a real disorder. I LOVE to read, but can't just read ONE book at a time. I keep at least 2, most time 3 going. When one hits a lull I switch! I like: a suspense, a current event-type and a biography. I have just always done it. Right now: Rupert Everets Red Carpet. Nature Girl by Carl Hiaason. La Dolce Musto by Michael Musto, a series of columns he wrote. Try it-It works well for me!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

You know, when I was younger (elementary school through high school) I was addicted to reading. I was never not reading a book - I would take days off here and there of course, but I always had one "on the go". Now, I still always have one on the go, but it takes me months to get through them, rather than days or weeks. And I honestly can't remember the last time I had that "I just can't put it down" feeling that I used to have all the time.

You mentioned in another thread, Allie, that your sleeping schedule was off, is that right? I'm really starting to think my lack of enthusiasm comes from being more tired than ever, and from knowing I have to get up at 5 in the morning (I used to read into the wee hours, now if I do that I'm just shooting myself in the foot). I also have to read a lot of specific books for my English major, and they are good books but not always what I'm in the mood for; I'd imagine that plays a part.

Still, I don't know... it's really been forever since I had a book I felt like I "couldn't put down", or that I would look forward to coming home to. It makes me a little sad.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    You know, when I was younger (elementary school through high school) I was addicted to reading. I was never not reading a book - I would take days off here and there of course, but I always had one "on the go". Now, I still always have one on the go, but it takes me months to get through them, rather than days or weeks. And I honestly can't remember the last time I had that "I just can't put it down" feeling that I used to have all the time.

You mentioned in another thread, Allie, that your sleeping schedule was off, is that right? I'm really starting to think my lack of enthusiasm comes from being more tired than ever, and from knowing I have to get up at 5 in the morning (I used to read into the wee hours, now if I do that I'm just shooting myself in the foot). I also have to read a lot of specific books for my English major, and they are good books but not always what I'm in the mood for; I'd imagine that plays a part.

Still, I don't know... it's really been forever since I had a book I felt like I "couldn't put down", or that I would look forward to coming home to. It makes me a little sad.
    I am exactly the same. I don't remember the last "I just can't put it down" feeling I had. Probably with Holes, lol.
    I work full time. The last week I've been off with a neck problem, I thought I would have gotten into a bit of reading but the newly installed pay-tv has gotten me hooked.
    I wonder if it's all the DVD's I have been collecting since 2003 that has somehow managed to damage my ability to read. Sometimes I start reading and I think: "I'm booooooooored.... Let's put on a DVD."

Thread Information