Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading survey

Default Reading survey

So here is a little reading survey for you guys

1. Do you read alot?

2. What type of book do you prefer?

3. How many books do you own?

4. Do you buy books or do you get them from the library?

5. Who's your favorite author?

6. Do you earmark the page to keep track of where you are or is that a big no-no for you?

7. Do you prefer hardback or paperback?

8. Are you a member of a book club?
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Hit By Ban Bus!

1. Do you read alot?
    Yes. I'm finishing up my 2nd book in 2007, plus a playscript. I've also been reading Math and Physics books on the side.

Anything that falls into my hands.

A lot. I honestly don't know.

Since Brazil is probably the only country in the world that has taxes blended into the book prices they get rather expensive. I occasionally buy them (hey, money's short... I own a lot of 2nd hand boks), but most I get as gifts. I also borrow a lot of books from people. I mainly use the library for scientific publications.

Not faithful to a single author, since I appreciate a variety of styles.

6. Do you earmark the page to keep track of where you are or is that a big no-no for you?
    Big no-no. When I don't have a bookmark or piece of paper at hand, I memorize the page I stopped on.

Never judge a book by its cover. :p Seriously, I don't care.

No.

1. Do you read alot?
    Define alot. I read about a book or two a month, I'd read more if I had more free time.

Definitely fiction, historical fiction is always good.

Hmmm, I'm not sure - a hundred maybe.

Library all the way. Once kids college tuition is saved I'll start to buy again.

Too many to pick from really, some favorites: Clive Barker, Anne Rice, Ayn Rand, Faulkner..the list goes on and on.

If it's my book I earmark, library books get bookmarks.

Depends on where I'm reading and the size of the book. I like nothing better than a big fat hardback epic - but if I'm traveling or will be reading in bed alot I prefer a paperback. Truth be told, it doesn't make much difference as long as the words inside are the same.

Nope.

1. Do you read alot?
    I read whenever I have time, usually on the bus or something. Lately, I've been reading The Nation during my commute though.

I don't really have a preference of genre. I'm more into recommendations from people I trust.

Hmm, not sure about this one. A lot.

I buy them. Nothing like cracking the spine of a new book. Sometimes people will lend me books and I will go buy them if I really like 'em. I have this thing about re-reading favorite books. I must have read The Fountainhead over 20 times.

Oooh, that's difficult. Some of my favs are Pete Hamill, David Sedaris, and Ayn Rand.

That's a BIG no-no.

Paperback for most, hardback for my favorites.

Hmm, kind of. It's an informal thing with a few of my friends--whenever we can muster up the time.
    debauched.

1. Do you read alot? Tons

2. What type of book do you prefer? Fiction

3. How many books do you own? Thousands

4. Do you buy books or do you get them from the library? Library for the last five years, because I ran out of room.

5. Who's your favorite author? Right now, margaret atwood.

6. Do you earmark the page to keep track of where you are or is that a big no-no for you? Big no-no

7. Do you prefer hardback or paperback? Doesn't matter. Paperbacks are better for travelling

8. Are you a member of a book club? Nope

1. Do you read alot? A couple of books a week. Not as much as I'd like.

2. What type of book do you prefer? Mainly fiction with a sprinkling of mainly scientific non-fiction. I've a special weakness for hundred year old self help books. Some of them are a riot.

3. How many books do you own? Thousands. I've really no accurate idea. I tell people it's ballast so the house won't blow away.

4. Do you buy books or do you get them from the library? When I was younger, the library was my haven and second home. I was there every day after school when we lived in the city. Libraries around here are open for a couple of hours at a time and rather inconvenient hours. They stock mainly basic popular fiction and out of date nonfiction. It's quite sad really. I've taken to buying mainly second hand because I can get more.

5. Who's your favorite author? Toughest question. I'm going through a bit of a Dickens phase at the moment and I just finished re-reading Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. For now it will be a tie between the two.

6. Do you earmark the page to keep track of where you are or is that a big no-no for you? Big no-no. I use whatever flat item is on hand. I've misplaced photos that way.

7. Do you prefer hardback or paperback? Hardback for books I'll read over and over. Paperback for the ones I tote about in my purse.

8. Are you a member of a book club? I was, but it split into two factions. Trash novels (some of them were fun -literary junk food in a way) vs. Pretentious 'literature' (the more obscure and tortuous the better for that crowd). I felt like I fit in with neither and they were taking time from what I wanted to read.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Elite Member

1. Do you read alot? Constantly have two to three books on the go

2. What type of book do you prefer? I read anything and everything

3. How many books do you own? Too many

4. Do you buy books or do you get them from the library? Both

5. Who's your favorite author? Don't have one particular author

6. Do you earmark the page to keep track of where you are or is that a big no-no for you? Big no-no I am a bookmark girl

7. Do you prefer hardback or paperback? Either though hardbacks can get a bit heavy in bed

8. Are you a member of a book club? No I have thought joining one many times

Elite Member

1. Do you read alot?
    Every Day. Sometimes all day.

I'm up for anything. From Interllectual presuits just for the sake of the author presenting how smart they are to Chicklit Romantic Novels.
    I've never counted but I'd say 200+ easy.

Because I am broke if it aint at the library I wont be reading it. Thankfully I'm very friendly with the librarian there so she orders in books for me when I request them.

I Dont make lists.

Erm I go with the bookmark.

So not Fussy

No, but I was seriously considering finding one or creating one.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

1. Do you read alot? Not nearly as much as I used to-no it's just one or two books a week, more if I'm on holiday.

2. What type of book do you prefer? I go through phases-right now, I'm in a Fantasy genre phase, and recently I was going through a classic lit phase. I enjoy the odd well-written nonfiction book too.

3. How many books do you own? I can't give you a number, but recently during a house move, we discovered that the combined volume of mine and my mother's books (which I read too anyway) was 24 big boxes-eeek!

4. Do you buy books or do you get them from the library? Usually buy them, which reminds me, I really should register with a library.

5. Who's your favorite author? Nikos Kazantzakis. He's a Greek author, probably best known abroad for The Last Temptation Of The Christ. I love his mixture of a direct, at times almost vulgar style and the philosophical themes apparent in all his work. He was also excommunicated, which automatically earns him a few cool points.

6. Do you earmark the page to keep track of where you are or is that a big no-no for you? I try not to! Only if it's a trashy paperback I know I'll give away when I'm done with it.

7. Do you prefer hardback or paperback? Paperback for traveling and the beach, though I have a spot for beautifully bound old books.

8. Are you a member of a book club? No, it sounds like fun though!

1. Do you read alot? Yes

2. What type of book do you prefer? I mostly read romance novels and mysteries.

3. How many books do you own? Over 600.

4. Do you buy books or do you get them from the library? I usually buy books. Since I live in a French city it can be hard to get english books as we only have one english bookstore that's not that big. So I usually order books off Amazon and ebay, or go to the Used Bookstore. I do get library books and if I really like the book I'll order it from Amazon.

5. Who's your favorite author? There are so many.

6. Do you earmark the page to keep track of where you are or is that a big no-no for you? That's a big no-no for me as well.

7. Do you prefer hardback or paperback? Books that I'm really anxious for them to be released I'll get them in Hardback. Others I'll just get the paperback versions.

8. Are you a member of a book club? No, I don't like bookclubs (by this I mean doubleday and literary guild) for many reasons. For one the book is practically worthless (yeah I know I'm a bit anal about my books) second is that I don't like the format of their books, third is that I find with the shipping and all it costs me less to order from Amazon.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

1. Do you read alot? All the time!

2. What type of book do you prefer? Classic fiction

3. How many books do you own? Hundreds

4. Do you buy books or do you get them from the library? I buy them online or from second-hand bookshops (I could spend all day in them!). I LOVED the library as a kid though!

5. Who's your favorite author? Ooh, that's tricky... there's far too many to narrow them down!

6. Do you earmark the page to keep track of where you are or is that a big no-no for you? Yep I do! I love the look of a well read, much loved book - I break the spine and read them in the bath too (cue gasps of horror from all those book-protectors out there! )

7. Do you prefer hardback or paperback? Paperback. Hardbacks are too heavy and cumbersome.

8. Are you a member of a book club? Yep. We meet once a month and chat online inbetween. Our read this month is 'Heart Of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad.
    Curiouser and curiouser...

1. Do you read alot?
    Yes

Fantasy/SciFi

Since I recently moved I can tell you, its 32 boxes full (the kind that copy paper comes in), plus maybe one more boxful I've picked up since then. These are just the books that i love enough to read again and probably will never throw or give away.

Both

Tom Robbins

Big no-no.

Hardback for the keepers, otherwise a paperback is fine.

No
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

1. Do you read alot?
    Not as much as I used to, but I really want to get back into it. I read alot when I was younger and didnt have the internet and other distractions.

I like autobiographies when the person has had an interesting life/or just if I like the person, and Jackie Collins and Danielle Steel's stuff.

About 50. I used to have more, but I end up lending them to people and never see them again.

Both. I like the library, and I like buying books from the market because they're cheap. And second hand book stores. I'll rarely spend over $20 on a book.

Danielle Steel and Jackie Collins

Yep, and i wish I could get in the habit of using bookmarks instead.

Paperback because i usually read while i'm lying in bed and paperbacks are easier to hold onto because they fold over.

Nope

1. Do you read alot?
    yes, though not as much as i used to as a student. i sort of read by spurts - i do a lot of reading the minute i have the time, then very little or not at all for a few days/a week when i get too busy. i usually have a few books going at one given time.

definitely fiction. there's nothing like a well-written novel.

a lot. but they're spread out because of moving too much, a lot are at my mum's, a lot i left with my sister when i moved out of canada, and i've bought a tonne since moving into my flat.

i used to go to the library more as a student but since i started working full time i don't have the time. and frankly, i prefer owning books.

i can't say there's just one, i love so many... romain gary, murakami, fitzgerald, marguerite yourcenar, michel tournier, rick moody, salman rushdie, paul auster...

if the book's mine, i earmark. i've tried not to but it just happens when i have nothing at hand to mark the page. i also underline passages in pencil.

for authors i know i love, i like to splurge on the hardback, especially when abook is new and i can't bear to wait until it's out in paperback, but i have nothing against paperback either.

8. Are you a member of a book club? [/QUOTE]
    no.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

1. Do you read alot? [/QUOTE]

nooo..i used to read quite a lot but i've somehow lost interest..now i watch movies and dance, those have become my hobbies..

i like some philosophy-type books when i do read these days...

perhaps 10 or so...

i've bought the last few from a local pasadena bookstore..

eckhart tolle

no ear-marking lol..

fine with both

not so much haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information