Default Marie's 2007 Book Log

Lani gave me the idea of writting my own book log for 2007. Thanks Lani

Books read in 2007

Title: The Summer Garden

Author: Paullina Simons

Genre: Historical, romance

Rating on a scale of 1 to 10: 9

Synopsis: from http://www.paullinasimons.com/summerg.htm
    From the bestselling author of The Girl in Times Square, comes the magnificent conclusion to the saga that was set in motion when Tatiana fell in love with her Red Army officer, Alexander Belov, in wartime Leningrad in 1941.

Tatiana and Alexander have suffered the worst the twentieth century had to offer. After years of separation, they are miraculously reunited in America, the land of their dreams. They have a beautiful son, Anthony. They have proved to each other that their love is greater than the vast evil of the world ... but they are strangers. In the climate of fear and mistrust of the Cold War, dark forces are at work in the US that threaten their life and their family. Can they make a new life for themselves in this new land? Can they be happy? Or will the ghosts of yesterday reach out to blight even the destiny of their firstborn son?
    Epic in scope, masterfully told, The Summer Garden is a novel of unique and devastating emotional power that spans two thirds of the twentieth century, and three continents. The Summer Garden. For what once was ...

My thoughts: Massive book, the first 100 pages or so were a bit long but the rest was great. Wraps up the trilogy quite nicely. Answers alot of questions regarding the previous 2 other books and Tatiana's past.

Title: Queen of Babble

Author: Meg Cabot

Genre: Chick-lit

Rating on a scale of 1 to 10: 8

Synopsis: from http://www.megcabot.com/queenofbabble/qob.php

Big mouth. Big heart.
    Big problems.
    Lizzie Nichols has a problem, and it isn’t that she doesn’t have the slightest idea what she’s going to do with her life, or that she’s blowing her college graduation money on a trip to visit her long-distance boyfriend (of three months) Andrew, instead of using it as the down payment for the cute little Manhattan apartment everyone is expecting her to rent after finding a well-paying job in the city.

Where she’s going to live and how she’s going to support herself in the fall are really the least of Lizzie’s problems right now. Not when she’s got to deal with the fact that she’s done it again. See, Lizzie can’t keep her mouth shut. It’s not just that she can’t keep a secret—she can’t keep anything to herself.

But this time when she opens her big mouth, her good intentions get Andrew in major hot water. Now Lizzie’s stuck in London with no boyfriend and no place to stay until the departure date written on her non-changeable airline ticket.

What’s an American girl with a big mouth—but an equally big heart—to do?

Fortunately there’s Shari, Lizzie’s best friend and college roommate, who’s spending her summer in the south of France, catering weddings with her boyfriend Chaz in a sixteenth century chateau. One call to Shari, and Lizzie’s on a train to Paris. Who cares if Lizzie’s never traveled alone before in her life, and speaks only rudimentary French? One glimpse of gorgeous Chateau Mirac—not to mention gorgeous Luke, Chateau Mirac’s owner—and she’s smitten…

But while most caterers can be trusted to keep a secret, Lizzie’s the exception. And no sooner has the first cork been popped than Luke seems to hate her, the bride is in tears, and it looks like Chateau Mirac is in danger of becoming a lipo-recovery spa. As if things aren’t bad enough, ex-boyfriend Andy shows up looking for closure (or at least a loan), threatening to ruin everything, especially Lizzie’s chance at ever finding real love…

…unless she can figure out a way to use that big mouth of hers to save the day.

My Thoughts: This book was a fun and light read. I really enjoyed it. Reminds me a bit of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series.

Title: The Boy Next Door

Genre: Chick Lit

Rating on a scale of 1 to 10: 7

Synopsis: from http://www.megcabot.com/boyseries/bo...oynextdoor.php

To: You (you)
    Subject: This Book

Dear Reader,
    This is an automated message from the Human Resources Division of the New York Journal, New York City’s leading photo-newspaper. Please be aware that according to our records you have not yet read this book. What exactly are you waiting for? This book has it all:
    • Humor
    • Romance
    • Cooking tips
    • Great Danes
    • Heroine in peril
    • Dolphin-shaped driftwood sculptures
    If you wish to read about any of the above, please do not hesitate to head to the checkout counter, where you will be paired with a sales associate who will work to help you buy this book.

We here at the New York Journal are a team. We win as a team, and lose as one as well. Don’t you want to be on the winning team?

Sincerely,
    Human Resources Division
    New York Journal

Please note that failure to read this book may result in suspension or dismissal from this store.

*********This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism.*********

My thougths: Really enjoyed this book as well. It was another light and easy read. This is the second book in Meg's Boy series. The boy series is not written in the usual style. The whole book is written as Text messages and e-mails (as the above synopsis).

Title: Rachel's Holiday

Author: Marian Keyes

Genre: chick-lit

Rating on a scale of 1 to 10: 6.5

Synopsis: from http://www.mariankeyes.com/books/index.html
    The fast lane is much too slow for Rachel Walsh. And Manhattan is the perfect place for a young Irish female to overdo everything. But Rachel's love of a good time is about to land her in the emergency room. It will also cost her a job and the boyfriend she adores.When her loving family hustles her back home and checks her into Ireland's answer to the Betty Ford Clinic, Rachel is hopeful. Perhaps it will be lovely -- spa treatments, celebrities, that kind of thing. Instead, she finds a lot of group therapy, which leads her, against her will, to some important self-knowledge. She will also find something that all women like herself fear: a man who might actually be good for her.

My thoughts:
    I found this book good. It's not the type of book I normally read. Well written.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

SVZ

Cool thread Hope more people start some!

Title: Tully

Genre: drama (is that a book genre? I don't know...)

Synopsis: from http://www.paullinasimons.com/tully.htm
    Tully Makker is a tough young woman from the wrong side of the tracks and she is not always easy to like.

But if Tully gives friendship and loyalty, she gives them for good, and she forms an enduring bond with Jennifer and Julie, schoolfriends from very different backgrounds.

As they grow into the world of the seventies and eighties, the lives of the three best friends are changed forever by two young men, Robin and Jack, and a tragedy engulfs them all.

Against the odds, Tully emerges into young womanhood, marriage and a career. At last Tully Makker has life under control.

And then life strikes back in the most unexpected way of all...

Powerful, enchanting, extraordinary, Tully is one of the most exciting debut novels for many years from an astonishing young writer.

My thoughts: Quite a long book. I enjoyed it but found it quite sad. Hard to read at times and very emotional. All in all it was a good book just not one that leaves you feeling happy.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Title: Little White Lies

Author: Gemma Townley

Synopsis:
    WHAT’S ONE LITTLE WHITE LIE?

Okay, so it isn’t that little. It’s kind of a whopper. It’s just that when Natalie Raglan ups and quits her job at a Bath advertising firm, breaks up with her loser-ish boyfriend, and moves–to London! Things don’t quite turn out the way she planned. Having made the brave move to the Big City, the lifelong country mouse finds that living chic is still a long way off. Even Cressida, the girl who used to rent her tiny flat, still gets more phone calls and mail there than Nat does. Come to think of it, Cressida Langdon’s life looks pretty appealing–especially when an invitation to the posh, exclusive Soho House club arrives, addressed to Cressida.

Before she really knows what she’s done, Nat has opened Cressida’s mail . . . and taken up her life. Soon Nat’s dating a gorgeous investment banker named Simon, giving “reiki healing sessions,” wearing wonderful clothes, and partying with the A-list at Soho House. But the best part really is Simon. He’s everything Nat has ever wanted. The problem is he thinks she’s someone else. And as her life and her lies begin to spiral out of control, Nat can’t help but wonder: Will she be exposed as a liar and a fake–or be saved from ruin by simply claiming good intentions. . . .

My thoughts: A light and easy read, which was really needed after reading Tully. I enjoyed it but I found that there wasn't enough character development.

Title: When in Rome...

Author: Gemma Townley

Rating on a scale of 1 to 10: 5

Synopsis:
    When in Rome, do as Audrey Hepburn would do. Failing that, run off with your ex-boyfriend, carry suspicious packages through customs, and lie to the person who loves you. . . .

Georgie Beauchamp is totally happy and in love with her wonderful, dependable boyfriend, David. So why does she always daydream about running into her gorgeous ex-boyfriend Mike? It can’t mean she’s still in love with him—especially since the cad dumped her so horribly. As luck would have it, when Georgie’s daydream actually comes true, she is dressed in unglamorous sweats and carrying a curtain rod down the street, while Mike is driving an expensive sports car and looking better than Brad Pitt at the Oscars. She longs to have the glamorous life Mike can offer—and starts to think that he might want her back in his arms.

But when he invites her for a weekend in Rome, Georgie is torn. David has always said he’d take her there for the romantic getaway of a lifetime, but his work keeps him totally tied up. So she must choose: David, all comfort and reliability, or Mike, all flirtation and butterfly-stomachs. The decision isn’t too hard to make, and faster than she can say Vespa, she’s off to Rome with Mike, full of plans to frolic on the Spanish Steps and sip wine in intimate trattorias. But when David shows up unexpectedly, this roman holiday gets a hell of a lot more complicated. . . .

My thoughts: Bah, it was okay, not great but okay. This is the second book I read by Gemma Townley and I must say I much prefer her sister's books (Sophie Kinsella). I found it odd that the whole synopsis talks about being in Rome but in the novel the time that takes place in Rome is only 50 pages so it wasn't really what I was expecting.

Title: Size 12 is not Fat

Genre: Chick lit

Synopsis: from http://www.megcabot.com/size12/size12isnotfat.php

HEATHER WELLS ROCKS! Or, at least, she did. That was before she left the pop-idol life behind after she gained a dress size or two—and lost a boyfriend, a recording contract, and her life savings (when Mom took the money and ran off to Argentina). Now that the glamour and glory days of endless mall appearances are in the past, Heather's perfectly happy with her new size 12 shape (the average for the American woman!) and her new job as an assistant dorm director at one of New York's top colleges. That is, until the dead body of a female student from Heather's residence hall is discovered at the bottom of an elevator shaft.

The cops and the college president are ready to chalk the death off as an accident, the result of reckless youthful mischief. But Heather knows teenage girls . . . and girls do not elevator surf. Yet no one wants to listen—not the police, her colleagues, or the P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives—even when more students start turning up dead in equally ordinary and subtly sinister ways. So Heather makes the decision to take on yet another new career: as spunky girl detective!

But her new job comes with few benefits, no cheering crowds, and lots of liabilities, some of them potentially fatal. And nothing ticks off a killer more than a portly ex-pop star who's sticking her nose where it doesn't belong . . .

My thoughts: I liked it alot, I've just ordered the second in the series Size 14 is Not Fat from Amazon. Enjoyable and light read.
    Can you tell I'm in a chick-lit kind of mood right now. Also I have alot of time on my hands as I'm on Maternity Leave until February.

LOVE Marian Keyes....
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Title: Captive of My Desire

Author: Johanna Lindsey

Genre: Historical romance

Synopsis: from http://www.amazon.com/Captive-Desire...e=UTF8&s=books

Gabrielle Brooks knows that finding the perfect husband isn't going to be easy. Despite the fact that her father had called in a favor from the influential James Malory, who, along with his wife, Georgina, is sponsoring Gabrielle's debut, it is already midway through the season, and most of the eligible men have been tagged by other marriage-minded misses. And if word got out that Gabrielle was the daughter of a pirate, she might as well pack her bags and return home a confirmed spinster. In spite of all these drawbacks, Gabrielle does find one man with potential: American sea captain Drew Anderson. But Drew is quite clear about his feelings about marriage and pirates. When Gabrielle unexpectedly needs to return to the Caribbean, she decides to prove exactly how much of a pirate she really is by stealing Drew's ship and taking him captive. Lindsey adds a generous soupcon of swashbuckling action and adventure to the latest captivating addition to her wickedly witty, lusciously sensual Malory series

My thoughts: The latest book in the Malory series and I must say that I really enjoyed it. A great addition to the Malory series!

Title: In Her Shoes

Author: Jennifer Weiner

Synopsis: from http://www.amazon.com/Her-Shoes-Nove...e=UTF8&s=books
    The Feller sisters are equal but opposite. Maggie is the good-looking, dyslexic little sister who knows how to get anything she wants--but not how to keep it. She "felt as if somewhere between the ages of fourteen and sixteen she'd walked off the edge of a cliff and had been falling ever since." Rose is the plump, practical, responsible older sister who knows about law but not much about her own happiness: "What did she like, besides shoes, and Jim, and foods that were bad for her?" When Maggie's latest eviction lands her in Rose's apartment, and Maggie insults Rose by seducing one of her sister's rare boyfriends, what follows is a chain of events by turns hilarious and heartbreaking. Embarrassed Rose evicts Maggie and begins a work sabbatical leading to a new livelihood and way of living. Maggie flees and runs away to Princeton. Masquerading as a student, she learns to love poetry and saves money for a trip to Miami--and a visit to a long-lost grandmother named Ella who might offer her a last shot at sanctuary. But In Her Shoes, the second novel from Good in Bed author Jennifer Weiner, is about more than the sisters' latest sibling rivalry; Maggie and Rose must sort out the childhood vulnerabilities and family mysteries that still linger two decades after their mother's death. In less capable hands, the plot might grow corny, but Weiner's humor and affection for the characters ultimately helps them transcend both neuroses and grief and learn the redemptive power of love. --Jane Hodges

My thougths: This book was made into a movie which I haven't seen yet. Now that I've read the book I'll probably rent it. I really enjoyed reading this. It was nice to see Maggie and Rose find their way.

Title: Natural Born Charmer

Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Genre: Romance

Rating on a scale of 1 to 10: 9

Synopsis: from Amazon.com: Natural Born Charmer: Books: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    In this latest installment in Phillips's romance series starring the Chicago Stars football players (This Heart of Mine; Nobody's Baby but Mine), the bestselling novelist delivers a love story wrought with delicious sexual tension and charged banter. When debonair starting quarterback Dean Robillard, on a soul-searching road trip after a serious shoulder injury, happens across Blue Bailey, walking alongside the road wearing a beaver costume, he stops to help her. Blue is far from a Barbie-esque football groupie, but broke and stranded, she needs both a ride and a job, and the football all-star (driving a sexy Aston Martin) poses an interesting opportunity. As the two travel from Colorado to Dean's new farmhouse in east Tennessee, Blue resists his advances, and both athlete and vagabond struggle with deeply rooted trust and familial issues that are soon exacerbated by the unexpected presence of Dean's mother at the farm. While the verbal sparring in this textbook case of opposites attracting feels stagy at first, the rough edges come together in an alluring way.

My thougths: I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips, she's one of my favorite authors. Therefore everytime one of her books is released I always rush to get it. I was lucky to get this one before the release date as Amazon shipped early . I loved it! It was a great book, a great addition to the Chicago Stars serie. SEP's sharp witted dialogue will have you laughing.

Title: Size 14 is Not Fat Either

Synopsis from: Welcome to MegCabot.com
    Former pop star Heather Wells has settled nicely into her new life as assistant dorm director at New York College—a career that does not require her to drape her size 12 body in embarrassingly skimpy outfits. She can even cope (sort of) with her rocker ex-boyfriend's upcoming nuptials, which the press has dubbed The Celebrity Wedding of the Decade. But she's definitely having a hard time dealing with the situation in the dormitory kitchen—where a cheerleader has lost her head on the first day of the semester. (Actually, her head is accounted for—it's her torso that's AWOL.)
    Surrounded by hysterical students—with her ex-con father on her doorstep and her ex-love bombarding her with unwanted phone calls—Heather welcomes the opportunity to play detective . . . again. If it gets her mind off her personal problems—and teams her up again with the gorgeous P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives—it's all good. But the murder trail is leading the average-sized amateur investigator into a shadowy world. And if she doesn't watch her step, Heather will soon be singing her swan song!

My thougths: Enjoyed this book, was funny like Size 12.

Title: Every Boy's Got One

Synopsis: from Welcome to MegCabot.com
    To: Jane Harris <jane@wondercat.com>
    Fr: Claire Harris <charris2004@freemail.com>
    Re: You
    Hi, honey! It's me, Mom. I know it's a big secret that your friend Holly and her boyfriend Mark are eloping in Italy, and that you and Mark's friend Cal Langdon (the handsome New York Journal reporter with the big book deal) are going, too, as their witnesses. But I just saw Holly's mother at the Kroger Sav-On, and I thought I'd warn you: She doesn't seem to like Mark very much at all. Just wanted to let you know.
    PS I don't understand why you don't like that nice Cal Langdon! He seemed so smart when I saw him being interviewed on Charlie Rose. And so handsome!
    PPS Don't forget to wear a sweater!
    Cartoonist Jane Harris is delighted by the prospect of her first-ever trip to Europe. But it's hate at first sight for Jane and Cal Langdon, and neither is too happy at the prospect of sharing a villa with one another for a week—not even in the beautiful and picturesque Marches countryside. But when Holly and Mark's wedding plans hit a major snag that only Jane and Cal can repair, the two find themselves having to put aside their mutual dislike for one another in order to get their best friends on the road to wedded bliss—and end up on a road themselves ... one neither of them ever expected.

My thougths: The last book in the Boy series. I really enjoyed it. A light and easy read.

Title: The Girl in Times Square

Genre: drama

Synopsis: from Paullina Simons - The Girl In Times Square
    Meet Lily Quinn. She is broke, struggling to finish college, pay her rent, find love. Adrift in bustling New York City, the most interesting things in Lily's life happen to the people around her. But Lily loves her aimless life ... until her best friend and roommate Amy disappears. That's when Spencer Patrick O'Malley, a cynical, past his prime NYPD detective with demons of his own, enters Lily's world. And a sudden financial windfall which should bring Lily joy instead becomes an ominous portent of the dark forces gathering around her.

But fate isn't finished with Lily.

She finds herself fighting for her life as Spencer's search for the missing Amy intensifies, leading Lily to question everything she knew about her friend and family. Startling revelations about the people she loves force her to confront truths that will leave her changed forever.

My thoughts: Another emotional read from Paullina Simons. Personally I have to say that out of all Paullina Simons's books the Bronze Horseman trilogy is my favorite. This was a good book, although like Tully it was quite sad as well and a bit depressing.

I've been slacking on my journal...I'll post all the ones I've read but won't really go in detail as I feel lazy right now.

Title: Talk Nerdy to Me

Author: Vicki Lewis Thompson

Synopsis: from VLT - Talk Nerdy to Me

Still clutching the phone, Eve banged her forehead repeatedly against the seat in front of her. She must have fear of success. That was the only explanation for this idiotic phone call to her sister.

Fashion model Eve Dupree is fed up with being labeled “the pretty one” while her sister’s called a genius. Eve’s got loads of brilliant ideas, not the least of which is the invention she’s building in her garage. But when she turns to the nerd next door to help get it off the ground, she finds herself on dangerous ground.
    Charlie Shepherd has discovered that there’s more to Eve than meets the eye. But it’s not just her body he likes—it’s those sexy brains of hers. Romance is a complication he doesn’t need right now. The problem is, she has something he needs and he can’t seem to resist her. Keeping her creation under wraps is harder than Eve expected—as is denying her attraction to Charlie. But when a saboteur starts sniffing around her project, she questions everyone around her, even her nerd in shining armor. Can opposites attract or will they ignite a fire they can’t control?
    Last edited by Mariesoleil; March 17th, 2007 at 07:38 PM.

Title: Starfinder

Author: Patricia Potter

Genre: Historical romance

Synopsis: Couldn't find an excerpt...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information