Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Scholastic's Horrible Histories Book Series: Promoting Hate

Default Scholastic's Horrible Histories Book Series: Promoting Hate

Please read how Scholastic is promoting the Aztecs here:
    http://literanista.blogspot.com/2006...ries-book.html

I sent them an email to let them know this sort of depictment of Hispanics' ancestors is not acceptable.

Please pass on and let Scholastic know we don't want this hate-filled depiction in our classrooms.

Thanks!
    www.thefreebiedepot.com/
    http://literanista.blogspot.com/

What sort of depiction of the Aztecs would be acceptable? Have you read the book? Hate-filled? Really? In what way?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Considering they seem to relay the horrible histories of just about every race and ethnicity on the planet, i fail to see how latinos are being singled out.

Every dynasty, empire or tribe has a horrible history. Let's all get over ourselves.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

My daughter has all the Horrible Histories mags - well over 100 of them and they all depict the less pleasant aspects of various cultures, civilizations, etc from all over the world and throughout history. They focus on the 'negative' because that's what 'hooks' the kids into finding out more about it. And that's why they are called HORRIBLE Histories.

I don't think playing the race card is going to work, sorry.

PS I have a kit that removes chips from shoulders if anyone is interested.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I think it's still educational... Kids still gotta learn that there were horrible things done in the past and it happened in every culture. Life isn't always rosy, history has never been pretty.

I studied anthropology and its research methods and one of the things I learned is that you can't always write something pleasant and glamourous about a culture, the reality is that there are unethical, unjust (subjective, of course, to both the author and the readers) and even grotesque facts and you still have to report that whether you like it or not.. Anthropology is a holistic discipline, you try to understand a culture from the insider point of view while acknowledging your outsider biases and perception.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

You're right mooms - and you of all people have probably had to deal with some REALLY negative perceptions about your culture and history because it's still fresh in a lot of people's memory. I am still shocked at the openly hostile and bigoted attitude to Japan in general, and the Japanese people in particular, from certain sections of the (older) Australian community. There's no doubt the atrocities of WW2 caused long and lasting emotional and physical damage among the Aussie servicemen who served and/or became POWs, but surely it's time to Move On now? And I have to say that the most rabid 'anti-Jap' veterans, etc are still quite happy to drive around in their Toyotas and Hondas. Sheesh.

There is still a LOT of xenophobia, if not flagrant racism in this country from and against all sections of the community. It's not going to explode into riots or open hostility, but it's always there, simmering away and people still get away with making the most outrageous remarks about other races or cultures. It's so disappointing because Australia has a reputation for being laid back and relaxed about so many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My daughter has all the Horrible Histories mags - well over 100 of them and they all depict the less pleasant aspects of various cultures, civilizations, etc from all over the world and throughout history. They focus on the 'negative' because that's what 'hooks' the kids into finding out more about it. And that's why they are called HORRIBLE Histories.

I don't think playing the race card is going to work, sorry.

PS I have a kit that removes chips from shoulders if anyone is interested.
    Cool! I didn't know that they had a magazine. My kids have the books and really enjoyed them. I'm not raising little racists.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Histories: The Angry Aztecs by Terry Deary

Find out about powerful priests, weird warriors, and the cunning Conquistadors, in this book which provides the foulest facts about Motecuhzoma, Cuahtemoc and other Angry Aztecs whose idea of fun was ripping out human hearts. Part of a series of books about history with the nasty bits left in!

You guys are absolutely right, that blurb and that pic are totally not biased!
    www.thefreebiedepot.com/
    http://literanista.blogspot.com/

So you're saying that they didn't practice human sacrifice?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Well, they didn't do it "for fun" though... Ok, I kinda get where CoverGirl is coming from, she just didn't articulate it as good.

Here's another review

Because of the fact that the series contains such titles as The Terrible Tudors and the The Cut-throat Celts some will say the series is not racist and is just trying to appeal to children's natural love of the gross.

But maybe it's the fact that I found the book in the hands of a fourth grade Latino boy, a student in the New York City public school system, at a time when Latinos, especially Mexicans are being stereotyped as criminal, among other things that disturbed me. This was not a book that the child's parent's chose for him. It was a book taken from his classroom library. Still not upset? The cover of the book features the cartoon drawing of an Aztec pyramid with its steps covered in blood and corpses. The back of the books says:
    The Angry Aztecs fills you in on the foulest facts Motecuhzoma, Cuahtemoc and other people with unpronounceable names, whose idea of fun was ripping out human hearts. Want to know: Why the Aztecs liked to eat scum?
    As a parent, this is certainly not the kind of book I want my daughter to read. Not because I am pro-censorship but because it offers the stereotypical Latinos/Indigenous people as violent stereotype which can be used to justify the conquest and all the atrocities that followed. I already called out the local school that carries this book. There are other ways to make history fun without resorting to stereotypes.
    http://vivirlatino.com/2006/10/10/re...ental.php#more

I still think these books are educational and stand by that opinion (because violent past is a fact and not necessarily a stereotype in almost any culture) but I certainly hope that parents are introducing to their children other interpretations of the history and positive aspects of other cultures.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by COVERGERL View Post
    You guys are absolutely right, that blurb and that pic are totally not biased!
    Biased in what way?

Seriously, spell it out. If they're doing ALL races and ethnicities, how is this particular book ANY MORE biased compared to the others?

Can you even explain wtf you're saying? No, you can't.

Fuck i'm tired of all this racial bullshit. We've had a recent influx of idiots regarding this.

Did someone elses race-related board get shut down? Do we have to deal with this?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

IF you can't have fun taking part in human sacrifice, what's the point really?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

If anyone here wants to be offended by a kids history book then tell me your race, ethnicity or ancestry and I will find the appropriate Horrible History and post some choice 'racist' quotes for you to huff and puff about. Alternatively, you could get a life.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

hahahahahahaha...love you, A*O.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information