Thread: Oliver Sacks, eminent neurologist and author of 'Awakenings', dies aged 82

Elite Member

Default Oliver Sacks, eminent neurologist and author of 'Awakenings', dies aged 82

Oliver Sacks, eminent neurologist and author of 'Awakenings', dies aged 82

www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/oliver-sacks-eminent-neurologist-and-author-of-awakenings-dies-aged-82/ar-AAdLakh?li=AA4RE4&ocid=

The Guardian
    Mark Tran 1 hour ago

AP Photo/BBC, Adam Scourfield Oliver Sacks, the best-selling author of 'Awakenings' and 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat'.

Oliver Sacks, the eminent neurologist and writer, has died at his home in New York City. He was 82.

The cause of death was the cancer, Kate Edgar, his longtime personal assistant, told the New York Times, which had published an essay by Sacks in February revealing that an earlier melanoma in his eye had spread to his liver and that he was in the late stages of terminal cancer.

The London-born academic, whose book Awakenings inspired the Oscar-nominated film of the same name, wrote: A month ago, I felt that I was in good health, even robust health. At 81, I still swim a mile a day. But my luck has run out a few weeks ago I learned that I have multiple metastases in the liver.

Sacks was the author of several books about unusual medical conditions, including The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat and The Island of the Colourblind. Awakenings was based on his work with patients treated with a drug that woke them up after years in a catatonic state. The 1990 film version, starring Robert De Niro and Robin Williams, was nominated for three Oscars including best picture.

His books are so interesting and entertaining. I was so sad to find out he died; he did great work and helped a lot of people. I especially love his book Hallucinations, because I have hypnagogic hallucinations.

Also, he was a hottie when he was young:

Awakenings is one of the few movies that makes me bawl uncontrollably.

Thread Information