Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading? (2.0)

Default What are you currently reading? (2.0)

Cleaning up the megathreads so new book post!

I just finished the entire Song of Ice and Fire series and am probably going to be picking up some light junk books for vacation next week.

Of Human Bondage. I love it so far, though I'm short on leisure time and it's such a behemoth, so it's taking me a while.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Cleaning up the megathreads so new book post!

I just finished the entire Song of Ice and Fire series and am probably going to be picking up some light junk books for vacation next week.
    For candy fluff for the brain:
    I do not recommend Chealsea Chandler. The uganda whatever entertained me for 10 minutes and then it read like again on a plane, again xanax, again cocktails, agian my knee, every chapter, every country.

I am currently reading (and listing to) the Jane Austin Series and find them highly entertaining. It is a genre I rarely read but I clicked on Pride by mistake and now I am enjoying them a lot.

Almost finished the Giver quartet. These books are so beautiful and charming, although they could easily be three times as long and just keep going. I do appreciate how and when they end, though. I've just started Son, the last of the four.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Gold Member

Reading "Sense and Sensibility" .. enjoying it so far and am about halfway through.
    kasippu likes this.

1977 The War for Memphis by Mark James

very insightful book on the real life feud between Nick Gulas and Jerry Jarrett.

Nick promoted in the Nashville-Chattanooga TN market. Jerry promoted the Memphis end. (Memphis, Kentucky, Arkansas, Mississippi & parts of Indiana)

This was during the time when pro wrestling had as many as 30 different promotions in the US.

Jerry was lead to believe he had purchased 50 percent of the company and therefore could run things his way. Well Nick let him know that he in fact had purchased the right to buy part of the company and not the Memphis end of the company.

Jerry found out one day when Nick wanted Jerry to book his son George on the Memphis end of the territory. heh.

George was perhaps one of the worst if not the worst wrestler to ever lace a pair of boots.

Jerry refused to book George as he knew it would kill business quickly just as it had done for Nick and the Nashville-Chattanooga end.

Nick Gulas still operated as if it was 1957 not 1977. No one in their right mind would ever buy George as a top babyface. He was no match for Memphis heels like Jerry Lawler, Mongolian Stomper and etc.

For several weeks Jerry and Nick both ran cards in Memphis after their split. Jerry unfortunately was relegated to using the much older Cook Convention Center. Nick had had an exclusivity clause with the Mid South Coliseum at the time.

Jerry and his stars found a home on WMC TV-5 very quickly. Nick had none as WHBQ quickly canceled the wrestling show when Jerry and Nick split.

The book provides you with a great look at the many stars and storylines throughout 1977. Many of the old programs and newspaper clippings have been reproduced for the book too.

Tinnosea even in the 70s was racist. Wrestler Jim White was fired for dating a black lady in the early 70s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Going to start Pan by Knut Hamsun today, now that I finally finished Of Human Bondage.

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    Reading "Sense and Sensibility" .. enjoying it so far and am about halfway through.
    You probably have finished it by now. I am at the part that Eleonor finds out about who's hair is in the ring.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    You probably have finished it by now. I am at the part that Eleonor finds out about who's hair is in the ring.
    I did finish it a day or two ago. This may be my favorite Austen novel. Enjoy

Picked up "Lord of the Flies" today since I've never read it.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

Fast Food Nation...fascinating. Our command master chief lent it to me and I'm rethinking my thoughts about fast food.
    InigoMontoya likes this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

^I loved that book, it was very interesting. Salt Sugar Fat is great too, for looking into the processed food industry.

Started some short stories by Leonard Michaels, but I'm going to have to stop. I need something happy and light, and a book of short stories that starts off with a girl killing herself after being raped is... not happy at all, and definitely not light. Reading about rape/suicide may work for my downtime once and a while, but this is not that while.

Edit: I'm going to read All That Is by James Salter instead, it's been on my bookshelf for 2 years now and I haven't gotten around to finishing it, but I bought A Sport and a Pastime the other day (along with Atwood, Bulgakov, and Woolf books that I've wanted! All for $22!) and am excited for it, and want to get All That Is out of the way before I read A Sport. It's my least favorite of what I've read of his so far, though (I loved Last Night and Dusk). It's still not something happy but eh, neither am I.
    Last edited by Brah; March 5th, 2015 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Fast Food Nation...fascinating. Our command master chief lent it to me and I'm rethinking my thoughts about fast food.
    I am sure. I did not read it or see it but the recent documentary I saw about food made me rethink our menu.

I gave up (real) sugar and decided to go for more candy fluff for the brain. Shopaholic to the stars. I read some shopaholic books before but this one is not good at all. It is just too dumb and not entertaining at all.
    Should have stayed with Jane Austin. Enough with the romance.
    Picked up IS everyone hanging out without me, Minda Kaling, and maybe I am having a real bad week because I heard it was so funny and I am not liking it. Maybe bossypants ruined me for that kind of books.

Cecilia Ahern - one hundred names. Lovely; she is my favourite if it comes to that kind of genre.
    InigoMontoya likes this.

Marathon-ed through Surfacing by Margaret Atwood earlier this week, and now started Focus by Arthur Miller. It's excellent so far.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information