Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By palta
  • 1 Post By Chilly Willy
  • 2 Post By levitt
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl

Thread: Three Unpublished J.D. Salinger Stories Leak Online

Default Three Unpublished J.D. Salinger Stories Leak Online

Three Unpublished J.D. Salinger Stories Leak Online

Three unpublished stories by the famously reclusive American writer, J.D. Salinger, have leaked online after appearing on an eBay auction.

The auction, which ended Sep. 23, 2013, advertised a book containing three stories, titled "Untitled or Paula," "Birthday Boy," and "The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls". The first two stories are dated 1941 and 1946, respectively, while the third one doesn't have a date.

The auction, which had the book located in Brentford, London, UK, was ultimately won for $109.88.

Now, the scan of the book has appeared on (members-only) torrent site what.CD and in the form of an Imgur album which was posted on Reddit.

The stories, while unpublished, are not completely new to scholars — they were available to read under supervision at the Princeton University library and the University of Texas's Harry Ransom Center. BuzzFeed contacted Salinger scholar Kenneth Slawenski, who has confirmed their authenticity .

“While I do quibble with the ethics (or lack of ethics) in posting the Salinger stories, they look to be true transcripts of the originals and match my own copies,” said Slawenski.

The importance of the leak is enormous. Salinger was almost completely out of public view in the last 45 years of his lilfe — he published his last original work in 1965, and died in 2010. However, throughout the years there were constant rumors that the author was actually writing all this time — including some sort of follow-up to the amazingly successful novel "The Catcher in the Rye".

One of the three stories unearthed today, "The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls," is indeed connected to that novel, as one of the characters is Kenneth Caulfield, also known as Allie and brother of the main protagonist Holden Caulfield from "The Catcher in the Rye".

Salinger's family is scheduled to publish some of the author's works in 2015 and onwards, but this particular story — as per the terms of Salinger's donation to Princeton University — cannot be published earlier than 2060.

We'll probably hear a lot more about these three stories in the days ahead. Besides the literary importance of the works, one of the burning questions is the origin of the stories, and how they ended up in the UK.

Three Unpublished J.D. Salinger Stories Leak Online - Mashable
    sputnik and MmeVertigina like this.

What??? How can that be? That crazy old man never ceases to surprise me. Anyhow, fuck the boring ass Caulfields, I want more stories about the Glass family! I've been wishing and praying for so long. Pretty please.
    Rusalka likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Me too...I'd rather See More Glass!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

fuck ethics. i'm not waiting until 2060 to read more salinger.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

If it's still in Brentford I can go rob it for us all?
    sputnik and CornFlakegrl like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Yes, please.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    If it's still in Brentford I can go rob it for us all?
    I'll send you a cookie if you do.

There was a documentary on PBS "American Masters" last night about J.D. Salinger and they mentioned these and how certain things cannot be published until 2015.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

czb

^^^ how was that documentary? i recorded it and plan on watching it in a few days.

VERY good! I wasn't going to watch it and then got sucked in. Interesting man to say the least. His fascination with teenage girls reminded me of Errol Flynn.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

fgg

my bf said the documentary was really good. he kept it on dvr so i can watch it too.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

He was just like Charlie Chaplin with the teenage girls, and coincidentally also dated Oona O'Neill, who married Chaplin when he was 54 and she was still a teen.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

czb

^^^ thanks for the info, guys. still haven't had time to watch the docu, yet ....

It was a good documentary, I love the American Masters. He was a personable and fairly sociable guy post war, he kept up with his war buddies for 60 years and was friendly to the people in his town.

I think I was too young when I read Catcher. My Dad gave me the book, I must have been 11 or 12? I read it because he gave it to me but I remember just not liking it. I never liked anything having to do with teens or coming of age unless Matt Dillon was in it.

I read 'Catcher in he Rye' when I was about 18. I still think it's one of the most boring books ever published *biiiiig smile*

Thread Information