Thread: New book: Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery

Default New book: Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery

It drops names!!!!!!

July 13, 2006
    -- PASSED around hand-to-hand last week in the Hamptons was an advanced bootleg copy of Alex Kuczynski's coming Doubleday book "Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery." It drops names. The chapter headed "Harvey Weinstein's White White Teeth" comes with eight backup reaffirmation confirmations.

She tells of high-maintenance N.Y.C. ladies who work on their looks 24 hours a day, and Hollywood types who even nip and tuck private areas so those are as taut as the pulled faces, and surgery safaris where packs go together en masse for lifts-redos-chin implants-Botox-lipo-breast augmentation-breast reduction-leg deveining-Restylane-collagen-laser-microdermabrasion jobs.

Chapter one mentions savvy dermatologist Dr. Pat Wexler, whose clients, the book says, include Renée Zellweger and Ellen Barkin. It says she siphons fat from the behinds of folks like the equally savvy public relations lady Peggy Siegal and stores it - the fat not the behind - then injects a syringeful each month into whatever crinkles and wrinkles developed in the interim.

A couple of pages later, Kuczynski immortalizes an Upper East Side podiatrist, who specializes in de-bunioning and de-corning, the better to wear $1,000 sandals. Dr. Suzanne Levine quotes divorcees saying: "I need my feet to look good. I can't get in the shower with a new man with these feet." Her walls show photos of folk like Katie Couric and Joan Lunden. (Can it be that morning TV is hard on the metatarsals?)

Kuczynski is an accurate and wicked reporter. I know. I experienced both qualities when she did a New York Times piece on me. We're informed buttock lifts came in vogue with the ascent of Jennifer Lopez. We're tantalized by which top actresses might be Botox'd up the kazoo because, per the author, their foreheads barely move. She gift-wraps them as "motionless and overparalyzed."

She warns of the dangers of changing one's look, citing Jennifer Grey, whose nose job caused such drastic change in her looks that her career went to "mostly made-for-TV movies and 'Bounce,' a 2000 box-office disaster starring Ben Affleck."

She ricochets from Melanie Griffith to Dennis Quaid to Pamela Anderson. Cites doctors who give Robert Redford the sun damage award and Bill Murray the acne award. And reports writer Nora Ephron spends more on her hair than she did on her first car.

If you've finished "War and Peace," it's not a bad little read.

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/cindy/cindy.htm

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Default Re: New book: Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery

All of these people mentioned are just so hard and unpleasant looking.

Default Re: New book: Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery

I can't wait til this book comes out.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'm looking forward to this one. I've been reading so much history and serious stuff for the past year that I am now in a total brain candy phase. Rock 'n roll biographies, Jackie Collins, anything that will not tax my brain. so when does it come out?

**edit: just checked. Doesn't come out until October, which sucks, since the weather will send me straight back to the serious stuff. Perhaps I'll make an exception over Christmas.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I read a lot of serious stuff like history and biographies, too, but I'm in the mood for something light like this book. Looks like we have a long wait, though.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

We'll discuss in late October, after we've both had a chance to read it, eh?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

You bet!

I'm gonna read it too!

I just can't get over the fact that it's 15 billion dollars! Billion..........with a 'B'!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Thread Information