Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Series That Went On Far Too Long

Default Series That Went On Far Too Long

So I'm about half way through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and omg it's like pulling teeth. I'm determined to get to the end because the core story is a good wee yarn, but there are so many peripheral characters who just don't matter, and an inordinate amount of worldbuilding, that it's taking forever in the books to do anything. For example, there's a task that a group of characters have to carry out, and it's at the top of a hill. It takes them about five chapters to get to the top of the hill, then the task is over in about three sentences. Very odd pacing.

Although I'm nowhere near finished the story, I think it could have been wrapped up in maybe four or five volumes rather than fourteen and I thought it could be an interesting wee discussion. Did you think that Harry Potter should have stopped after Azkaban (if so, please let me know so we can not be friends anymore), did you think that Anita Blake's constant weird orgies took away from her story, did you wish that Tom Bombadil would bugger off so the hobbitses could get to Mordor a bit quicker?

Thoughts?
    greysfang likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Did you think that Harry Potter should have stopped after Azkaban (if so, please let me know so we can not be friends anymore),
    No, I think Rowling wrapped Harry Potter up at exactly the right time, though I was sad to see it end. I could've happily read it forever, probably - but only if Snape had lived. It about gutted me when she offed him.

Honestly, I'm much more forgiving of book series going on maybe too long than I am tv or movies. That's where I can really tell when something has jumped the shark, but I will keep reading something that's gone past the point of ridiculousness.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I haven't read all those series but I loved every Harry Potter book and the only time I felt bogged down was when they were cleaning some old house (bit foggy on the details, was it Sirius' house?). The Sookie Stackhouse series should have ended at book 9, and even though I'm loving ASOIAF I think there is a lot of detail and backstory which may be important in future books but reads more like GRRM getting so caught up in creating his mythology that he's giving us a history of Westeros while also trying to tell a very complex story. And people are complaining he can't wrap it up in 2 more books? Cut out the filler and he could do it in one.
    Sunrider likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Another series I read is Sue Grafton's alphabet series with Kinsey Millhone. Those have been going on since the early 1980s, though I haven't been reading them that long. She's written them thirty years, but it's only gotten to about 1988 in the series. It's still entertaining to me, but it feels a smidge recycled sometimes. I do love when she reminds me of some horrible 80s trend that I'd forgotten about, though.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm pretty tolerant of book series going on too long and I'm not afraid to walk away from a series if it starts boring me. But seriously, Stephanie Plum needs to stop sucking at her job after all these years and pick a damn man and be done with it. It's gone a few books too far for her to not have grown as a person at all.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I'm pretty tolerant of book series going on too long and I'm not afraid to walk away from a series if it starts boring me. But seriously, Stephanie Plum needs to stop sucking at her job after all these years and pick a damn man and be done with it. It's gone a few books too far for her to not have grown as a person at all.
    Vouch. Same with book series(es? or is series already plural enough?) and Stephanie Plum. I think I have a problem in that I'll read all books in a series even if I don't like the sequels and think they go off on tangents and the like, after first getting invested in a story line. Sometimes, will need to take a break and pick up another author with a different writing style, but usually come back to them. The only YA series I haven't finished is The Dark is Rising series (which Rowling cites as one of her inspirations for the Harry Potter books) and the Eragon series. After the second one of that, I just couldn't pick up Brisinger.

John Sanford? Will read every Luke Davenport and That Fucking Virgil Flowers novel he puts out, even if they suck. Gave up on Stuart Woods and the Stone Barrington novels, though.

It's been a long time since I've read The Dark is Rising. I remember enjoying the first 1-2, but it just fell off after that for me. Same with The Dark Tower. Around book 4, it became a bore and I picked up the last one in the series and read most of it just for closure but said screw it to the ones in between.

Oh man, that brings back memories of teeth grinding! I got as far as 'Hard Nine'.

I stopped with Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series at 'Blowfly'. I don't accept you-know-who's resurrection. I'm still reading Kathy Reich's Brennan series, but 'Devil Bones' pissed me off so much I wanted to stop. IMHO Brennan got that wiccan man killed. I no longer really care for the character, and kinda miss the Luc arsehole. I prefer the series stay in Canada, for atmosphere.

Yeah, Scarpetta and Benton started irritating the hell out of me the last couple of books I read. I think the last one I made it through was Scarpetta or The Scarpetta Factor. They've all run together for me.
    PeaPrincess likes this.

Yeah, Scarpetta and Benton started irritating the hell out of me the last couple of books I read. I think the last one I made it through was Scarpetta or The Scarpetta Factor. They've all run together for me.
    Totally forgot about Kay. I gave up on those a while ago -- felt like Grisham's stuff; same story, different book cover.

Anita Blake series. I held on to till Incubus Dreams and couldn't even get pass the first few chapters.

It's been a long time since I've read The Dark is Rising. I remember enjoying the first 1-2, but it just fell off after that for me. Same with The Dark Tower. Around book 4, it became a bore and I picked up the last one in the series and read most of it just for closure but said screw it to the ones in between.
    I love Stephen King. So much so that after I read he said "Needul Things" would be his last set in Castle Rock, dreamed that he called and asked if I lived in X zip code, and could I tell him about the area, because "I'm looking for a new location."

But I tried, really did, with TDT and could not get into the first one.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

Bronze Member

Oh man - the biggies for me are all fantasy series: Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth and the Game of Thrones books. Made the mistake years ago of reading them all around the same time and between juggling mutliple storylines, impatiently waiting for the next ones to come out and being annoyed when unexpected deaths occurred, pretty much gave myself major fantasy fatigue - so much so I pretty much only ready dodgy vamp romances afterward to give the brain a rest.

Outside that though, like everyone else has mentioned Anita Blake, Plum, Scarpetta.

If a series is reaching double figures in the amount of books they really should take a good look at whether or not it is still fresh or not or if its just dragging out the dead horse for another beating.

If a series is reaching double figures in the amount of books they really should take a good look at whether or not it is still fresh or not or if its just dragging out the dead horse for another beating.
    For real. And if your name is Stuart Woods, you should think this too, and get back to the days of Palindrome or Under the Lake. But that's easy to say, as a fiction fan, and not a writer.

Stephanie Plum series still has three more books after #20 I stopped after 14 or 15 I can't even remember what the stories where about and bouncing from Joe to Ranger got way old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information