Thread: Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs

A*O

Default Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs

I'm in the middle of this so no spoilers please! I just wanted to ask if anyone else had read this wannbe Da Vinci Code nonsense. I started reading Kathy Reichs when Patricia Cornwell's writing and plots got too desperate and re-cycled but I fear that Kathy is heading the same way. She pads out her stories with lots of 'showing off' technical jargon (hey, look at me, I'm a forensic anthropologist) but up until now the plots have been engaging and the 'twist' is usually pretty good. I have a horrible feeling that when I get to the end of Cross Bones I'm going to be very disappointed (just like with the Da Vinci Code).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Default Re: Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs

I think both Reichs and Brown are hacks. When I see all the talented, unpublished and struggling writers out there, it makes me want to support these boring and bad millionaire "writers" even less.

A*O

Sigh - I just finished it while pretending to watch my kids playing basketball (welcome to my Saturday mornings) and as predicted it fizzled out completely. As usual, it's ALL about the author, not the story/characters.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

SVZ

Dan Brown is a really horrible author........the idea was interesting and he struck gold with that, but read a few of his books - it's the exact same plot over and over and over and over and over.

I've read a few of Kathy Reichs books. I thought her first book was very good, but the next two I read were pretty blah, so I gave up on her. I think she's just a Patricia Cornwell imitator.

I like Kathy Reich's stuff, and while she is a lot like Patricia Cromwell, I like her stuff better, Patricia has written some really strange things lately. I actually met Kathy Reich at a book signing, and she seemed very nice and personable.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    I'm in the middle of this so no spoilers please! I just wanted to ask if anyone else had read this wannbe Da Vinci Code nonsense. I started reading Kathy Reichs when Patricia Cornwell's writing and plots got too desperate and re-cycled but I fear that Kathy is heading the same way. She pads out her stories with lots of 'showing off' technical jargon (hey, look at me, I'm a forensic anthropologist) but up until now the plots have been engaging and the 'twist' is usually pretty good. I have a horrible feeling that when I get to the end of Cross Bones I'm going to be very disappointed (just like with the Da Vinci Code).
    I read a few Kathy Reich's novels and I was disappointed too. Have you tried Anne Perry? Try her Monk series.

Elite Member

I enjoy the Sue Grafton alphabet series. I like Patricia Cornwell too, but not as much lately.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    Dan Brown is a really horrible author........the idea was interesting and he struck gold with that, but read a few of his books - it's the exact same plot over and over and over and over and over.
    True. The clues were just too contrived. The two dimensional characters should do better on screen, though. Like Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent. Crap book, decent action flick.

For a far better fictional story wrapped around the same ideas, I prefer the adventure game Gabriel Knight 3:Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Thread Information