Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anais Nin (1903-1977): Her Journals and Mine

Default Anais Nin (1903-1977): Her Journals and Mine

Anaïs Nin(1903-1977) first began publishing expurgated versions of The Diary of Anaïs Nin in 1966, the year I graduated from university. She was 63. The editions of her diaries that began to appear omitted many of the more intimate details of her personal and love life. In 1986 after virtually everybody mentioned in her diaries had died, including Nin herself, her widower began to publish what are now termed the unexpurgated versions of Nin’s diary. These unexpurgated versions of the diaries are more sexually frank than the versions published in the 1960s and 1970s. They also provide a fuller picture of her life. The new material, for example, casts her incestuous relationship with her father and her relationship with writer Henry Miller in new light.

In volume 2 of Nin’s diary, she has just arrived in New York. This volume is filled with the stories of her analytical patients. There is a shift in emphasis in this diary from volume 1 as she becomes aware of the inevitable and complex choices facing the artist in the modern world. Sensitive and frank, this volume of her diary is a dialogue between flesh and spirit, as one reviewer described it. This volume finds this madly scribbling femme fatale trying to get away from her doggedly loyal husband and from adored lover Henry Miller and to indulge her fancy for analyst Otto Rank.

Nin is blithely honest about her profound dishonesty, admitting that she loves telling what she calls marvellous lies to the men who desire her. She tires of Rank just as Miller and her husband catch up with her; then, suddenly, she enters a whole new realm of potent romance with a fiery man of Inca descent, Gonzalo More. Gonzalo More, a man of conscience and lyrical intensity, inspires Nin to new poetic and mystical heights.-The Diary of Anais Nin: Volume 2 or Volume 3 of the unexpurgated edition, American Library Ass’n, 1995.

The unexpurgated volumes are of particular interest to readers of the original published versions in those 1960s and 1970s because they fill in so many puzzling omissions. They are remarkable for their audacity and prolificacy. Just one page of Nin's extraordinary diaries contains more sex, melodrama, fantasies, confessions, and observations than most novels. They also reflect much about the human psyche, a psyche we strive to repress and one we would also like to understand. See, for example, Nearer The Moon: From "A Journal of Love" The Unexpurgated Diary of Anais Nin 1937-1939 with a preface by Rupert Pole, her widower, and with biographical notes and annotations by G. Stuhlmann, Harcourt, Brace & Company, NY, 1996.

Only Leo Tolstoy kept a diary longer than you,1
    Anais…..His entries were not as erotic as yours
    going for all those years of the tempest2…Your
    Journal of Love written in the first years of the
    Plan3 would still turn our generation on & help
    the young at heart find some sense of who they
    are as they helped you find out who you were--
    at least that was part of the idea, eh Anais, eh??

Such a long road of experimentation, Anais…
    trying to put it all together, as we all do in this
    changeful life, as the tempest blows harrowing
    up the souls on our planet….bewildered, often
    so agonized and helpless, they watch...it seems
    this great and mighty wind of God sweeping the
    face of the earth—its driving power gaining in
    range and momentum; its cleansing power……
    however much undetected, increasing with
    every passing day and humanity gripped in the
    clutches of its devastating power….How did you
    survive? How did you survive? Dear Anais……
    how on earth did you survive those years….with so
    little idea of the origin, outcome or the significance
    of all that chaos & confusion decade after decade??

1 In the complete set of his works the diaries of Tolstoy occupy 13 volumes. He began them in 1847 at the age of 19 and continued making entries until the end of his life in 1910.
    2 Her diaries began at the age of 10 in 1914 on the outbreak of WW1 which, in some ways, saw the beginning of the tempest in modern civilization, a tempest which is far from over.
    3 The formal implementation of Abdul-Baha’is Plan in 1937 by the North American Baha’i community.

Ron Price
    19 July 2010
    married for 44 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 12 and a Baha'i for 52(in 2011)

You always stick numbered random shit in at the end of your rambling crapfest?

Teacher for 35 years? I pity your students.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Who is this person and what bridge did he crawl out from under?
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

his webpage is a blathering sack of nonsense.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Plus it's fucking hard on the eyes.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    That made me chuckle

why is everyone so antagonistic and rude?

Why does Ron go around the internet posting his essays and never interacting with people on boards where he inflicts his "writing"? It isn't rudeness, it's literary criticism! If I were to come here once every few years and post some "poetry" then leave, I'd damn well hope that people would be "antagonistic".

ok gotcha. it was sort of interesting. i never knew she had an incestuous relationship with her father.

You always stick numbered random shit in at the end of your rambling crapfest?

They're footnotes, aren't they? And if people were this antagonistic, I wouldn't interact with them either, I get where Straight is coming from. But I suspect our arguing is all for naught, it seems fraught with crazy more than anything...

Still, now I'm thinking about reading up on Anais Nin some more.

i never knew she had an incestuous relationship with her father.
    Oh yeah.

Wrote of it in a book called "House of Incest."

Here is a cheap and tawdry wiki link of what I am making reference to...

House of Incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the link...

As was eventually revealed in the 1990s when the unexpurgated versions of Anaïs Nin's diaries were published, Anaïs Nin claims to have had an incestuous relationship with her own father during her late 20s. It has been claimed that this incestuous relationship was encouraged by one of her therapists, who suggested that in retaliation for her father's abandonment of her during her childhood, Anaïs Nin should seduce her father in adulthood and then abandon him. In theory, this was supposed to leave Anaïs Nin feeling empowered.
    It has been written that at the time of the publication of "House of Incest," which took place at around the same time that Anaïs Nin was having an incestuous relationship with her father, some members of the Nin family who knew about the incestuous relationship were "horrified" to know that Anaïs Nin was writing a book with this title. They assumed that the book was going to be an exposé on the father/daughter incestuous relationship

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    And if people were this antagonistic, I wouldn't interact with them either,
    Nope. He just does this posting of his "thoughts" everywhere. When he first did it, it was just ignored. There was not antagonism and there was no interaction then either.

Baha'i Apologetics Anyone?
    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/lov...tml#post860617

I read all of the diaries years ago. The woman can drone on but there is a lot of hotness in there! She was definately a wild spirit.

Nope. He just does this posting of his "thoughts" everywhere. When he first did it, it was just ignored. There was not antagonism and there was no interaction then either.

Baha'i Apologetics Anyone?
    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/lov...tml#post860617
    He's not selling anything, insulting anyone, or starting shit, so I don't see why not interacting draws antagonism. Maybe it would be better off on a blog, true, but I still think it's harmless, honest-to-goodness cray-cray that fancies itself an academic and is boring at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I don't see why not interacting draws antagonism.
    It doesn't. It's the content that does!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information