By Melissa Gray, CNN
    August 12, 2010 4:53 a.m. EDT

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • 'Cathy' has run in hundreds of newspapers for 34 years
    • Cathy's comic neuroses have made her a popular character
    • Creator Cathy Guisewite says it will end in October
    • Guisewite wants to spend more time with her family

RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- For 34 years, she has obsessed about food, relationships, work, and her mother -- but now Cathy the comic-strip character is about to say goodbye.
    Creator Cathy Guisewite says she is ending the comic strip in October in order to spend more time with her family and pursue new creative ventures.
    The strip, which has run in some 1,400 newspapers, will run for the last time October 3, according to Universal Uclick, the syndicate.
    "After almost 34 years of meeting newspaper deadlines," Guisewite said in a statement, "I'm facing some personal deadlines whose requirements simply exceed my ability to procrastinate any longer: an 18-year-old daughter who needs a full-time mom to help her through her last year of high school and beyond ... beloved parents I want to be able to visit more often ... and a creative biological clock, which is urging me to try something else while I can."
    Cathy has been a hit with people who appreciated her comic neuroses, which often resulted in her trademark exclamation, "AACK!" As a result, she has been featured on everything from refrigerator magnets and coffee mugs to calendars and T-shirts.
    The titles of Cathy book collections reveal the character's obsession with weight, food, shopping and shoes: Abs of Steel, Buns of Cinnamon (1997); Shoes: Chocolate for the Feet (2000); and Wake Me Up When I'm a Size 5 (1985).
    An early collection from 1982 had a cover showing Cathy on her sofa, surrounded by her TV, snacks, and a teddy bear. The title: Another Saturday Night of Wild and Reckless Abandon.
    Guisewite began the strip when she started working in the mid-1970s, said Lee Salem, president and editor of Universal Uclick.
    "Cathy Guisewite would send her mother drawings describing the latest trauma in her life as a single young career woman, and in response, her mother urged her to try her hand at a comic strip," Salem said in a statement. "The day the submission arrived in our office, we had a contract out to Cathy in return mail. Seven months later, the strip began in newspapers."
    It wasn't an immediate hit, but Cathy steadily gained popularity and eventually appeared in hundreds of newspapers. There are more than 30 Cathy books.
    "Cathy has held a distinguished place in newspaper comic sections for more than three decades because of Cathy Guisewite's skillful hand," said Salem. "Cathy balances truth and humor and speaks to women in a way that few comics have ever attempted. She is a cultural icon and her strip has earned its place among the modern greats."

Source: 'Cathy' comic strip to end after 34 years - CNN.com
    Its funny because I just so happened to recently get back into comic reading. I saw 'Garfield' was still there and 'Cathy' and thought 'My gosh, these still come out'?

Ending after 34 years is about 33 years, 364 days too late. That comic sucked.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Hit By Ban Bus!

Cathy seems like so many people I know including myself.

It stopped being funny ......... but......... I hate change and I hate endings even when they are needed

Hasn't been funny in 30 years. There was a brief period in the early nineties when the comics were funny. Bloom County, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side.. There were some that are still around but were good back then and should have died. It's a real shame that they cling to strips long past their expiry dates when there are many talented people out there who could be given a chance.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Was Cathy the comic strip about the well-dressed, ultra-secure, hard-bodied, busy mom of three?

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Ending after 34 years is about 33 years, 364 days too late. That comic sucked.
    i agree - it was awful! the funniest part about it was what's his face doing cathy on SNL during the weekend update.

Elite Member

God I hated that comic and wanted to kick it in the ovaries since Day 1. About fucking time.

I never really liked the strip honestly. Id read it in the paper but I wouldnt buy it. I do, however, have collections of 'Calvin & Hobbes' and 'Peanuts'.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Was Cathy the comic strip about the well-dressed, ultra-secure, hard-bodied, busy mom of three?

no that would be her alter ego.

I hated that Cathy too. It was the same damn, irritating thing every week.

Now Baby Blues makes me laugh out loud every single time. I swear someone has a camera linked to my house for ideas. And as a weird aside, I lived in the original Bloom County house while in college.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Hasn't been funny in 30 years. There was a brief period in the early nineties when the comics were funny. Bloom County, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side.. There were some that are still around but were good back then and should have died. It's a real shame that they cling to strips long past their expiry dates when there are many talented people out there who could be given a chance.
    i love Far Side. I have never thought Cathy was funny.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    no, no, no, and no!

I miss the Far Side, Bloom County, and Calvin & Hobbes.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

^ The Far Side, Bloom County, and Calvin & Hobbes--I agree with all of these, but I don't feel bad at all about the loss of Cathy. That comic strip sucked so bad you had to wonder why it ever got published in the first place. And who kept reading it? That's the million dollar question. Who kept Cathy alive all these years?
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

Good! Take Family Circle while you are at it.

^^^
    you mean Family Circus?
    B.C. and the Wizard of Id suck balls too, and the guy who does those is a right-winger.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information