Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite graphic novels

Default Your favorite graphic novels

Graphic novels are different than comic books in that they usually have a defined plot line and do not continued indefinitely (like, say, Archie or Batman). (well, that's my definition at least).

My favorites so far are the Sandman(Neil Gaiman) series and Lucifer (who was a side character from Sandman). I've also read Uzumaki, a Japanese pseudo-horror comic, that was amazing both plot-wise and visually.

My mom's favorites of the moment are by Rick Geary. Among other things, he illustrates true historical stories: the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.

Does anyone else here read graphic novels?

I like the Silent Hill ones. I have to admit I had to read them a couple of times to 'get' them though. Confusing stuff at times. I keep a copy of The Watchmen by my bed for some nighttime reading as well. I like the 'classics' in graphic novel format as well.

I haven't read a graphic novel in years. But back in the day, my favorites were two X-Men related graphic novels; 'God Loves, Man Kills' and 'The New Mutants.'

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

I love the Sin City ones.
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Best one I've read in recent years is Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli.

Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine is good but he's usually good. Blankets by Craig Thompson. Fun Home by Allison Bechdel.

Gosh, there's so many it's hard to choose.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

I haven't read Bechdel in ages... I think I have a copy of one of hers at my mom's house. Sometimes I catch up with them in Funny Times (monthly satirical newspaper), but everything is so character driven I can't really keep up without reading them in order.

Any time I visit my mom she drags me up to the comic book stores in Berkeley. Walls lined with comics I've never heard of. Bins filled with bagged DC and Marvel. Conans to the left of me, Swamp Things to the right of me. Big sections of awkward coming of age stories. The occasional Gothic Lolita mag and Deathnote doll. I have no idea where to begin. I've read some pretty bad comics in my day, so I'm wary of a lot of them.

I guess of the major comic producers my favorite would be Vertigo. My husband likes them a lot, and it's rubbed off on me.

Some of my all time favorites would be the...

Strangers In Paradise
    series by Terry Moore
    Bone series by Jeff Smith
    Ultimate X-Men Vol 6: Return Of The King by Mark Millar
    The Invisibles by Grant Morrison
    Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

... and Preacher by Garth Ennis, though that series had one of the suckiest and most offensive cop out endings I ever saw in my life.

i think my all-time favourite is 'jimmy corrigan: the smartest kid on earth' by chris ware

i also love:
    the watchmen
    persepolis, by marjane satrapi
    epileptic, by david b.

and i just recently read asterios polyp by david mazzuchelli and loved it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Can't forget Maus I and Maus II by Art Spiegelman.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctora Pepper View Post
    I haven't read Bechdel in ages... I think I have a copy of one of hers at my mom's house. Sometimes I catch up with them in Funny Times (monthly satirical newspaper), but everything is so character driven I can't really keep up without reading them in order.
    Fun Home is her autobiography and it's terrific. She's taking a sabbatical from Dykes to Watch Out For and is now making a sequel to Fun Home. I love Bechdel, she's great.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think my all-time favourite is 'jimmy corrigan: the smartest kid on earth' by chris ware

i also love:
    the watchmen
    persepolis, by marjane satrapi
    epileptic, by david b.

and i just recently read asterios polyp by david mazzuchelli and loved it.
    LOVE Chris Ware. I met him once. He's very unassuming, as you can imagine. LOVE Persepolis, that's a wonderful series.

French Milk by Lucy Knisley- Adorable. So cute. A wonderful read.

Swallow Me Whole
    by Nate Powell

Berlin
    by Jason Lutes- Good, old-fashioned solid storytelling about Germany unraveling in WWII.

Get A Life
    by DuPuy and Berberian- Awesome! Cute! A fun read about a guy in the neverending struggle to grow up.

Black Hole
    by Charles Burns- This one is huge and took him forever but golly, it's well done. Kids in high school who all fuck each other and share this strange STD strain that transforms them into deformed mutants. Extra mouths, tails, fur, webbed hands, things like that. Then the murders start to happen.

Lady Chatterley's Lover will always be the one for me.

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

I forgot about The Watchmen! Another favorite of mine.
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Maus of course is great - I read it time and again as a child.

I never knew they made Lady Chatterly's lover into a comic.

Black Hole sounds interesting. Drama with a tinge of sci-fi? If you liked that you might like Uzumaki or another one I read recently, the Drifting Classroom.

It's about a Japanese elementary school that switches dimensions (that's all I'll say about that). It's time travel meets Lord of the Flies, but not quite so gory. It's not perfect, and there's some sexism (the little boys are always the heroes and the little girls are the caretakers), but it's got some interesting ideas.

I also have a copy of R. Crumbs version of Genesis. It's huge, and I haven't started it yet.

Silver Member

It's mostly just a marketting term so that adults don't feel self-conscous about reading books with pictures. But I really enjoyed American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang. I also liked Bechdel's Fun Home, and Shortcomings by Tomine. Watchmen is one of a kind, though I didn't care for the ending. The Long Halloween is a favorite, and I liked Joss Whedon's Fray.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctora Pepper View Post
    I also have a copy of R. Crumbs version of Genesis. It's huge, and I haven't started it yet.
    I have that one, too. I need to start it one day.

I haven't read a lot of graphic novels, but I've enjoyed some of the Batman related titles:

Year One
    The Long Halloween
    Dark Victory

Watchmen is fantastic, as is Persepolis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information