Thread: J.K. Rowling being sued yet again

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default J.K. Rowling being sued yet again

J.K. Rowling is facing a multimillion-pound lawsuit after being accused of stealing ideas for the Harry Potter books from another British author.

The estate of the late Adrian Jacobs, who died in 1997, has added Rowling as a defendant in a lawsuit against Bloomsbury Publishing PLC for allegedly replicating large parts of Mr Jacob's 1987 book, 'The Adventures of Willy the Wizard: No 1 Livid Land' in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire', published 13 years later in July 2000.

The lawsuit also claims that many other ideas from 'Willy the Wizard' were copied into the Harry Potter books including Mr Jacobs' concepts and themes such as wizard prisons, wizard hospitals and wizard colleges. The two authors also apparently shared an agent, Christopher Little, who manages the Harry Potter brand worldwide

Max Markson, the Sydney-based agency representing the trustee of Jacobs' estate, said Rowling was added to the lawsuit after it was learned that the statute of limitations to sue her had not run out as previously thought. He also estimates the lawsuit to be a "billion-dollar case".

The last four Harry Potter books, which included Goblet of Fire, each consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history and helped generate billions of dollars in film sales. Mr Jacobs' book, on the other hand, sold only 5,000 of his Willy the Wizard book.

J.K. Rowling, however, strongly denies the claims and issued this statement: "I am saddened that yet another claim has been made that I have taken material from another source to write Harry. The fact is I had never heard of the author or the book before the first accusation by those connected to the author's estate in 2004; I have certainly never read the book."

"The claims that are made are not only unfounded but absurd and I am disappointed that I, and my UK publisher Bloomsbury, are put in a position to have to defend ourselves. We will be applying to the court immediately for a ruling that the claim is without merit and should therefore be dismissed without delay."

--------

I thought she borrowed quite a bit from Tolkien but who hasn't? At this point almost any idea has been worked in some fashion in someone elses work.

She ends up spending quite a bit just defending her work, from her own internet sites to even her own family.

I think she is viewed as an endless money pit. Sad.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

She is a endless money pit but it's her money pit.

same thing happened to Dan Brown - however he did steal their idea. Thing is they tried to market their book as fact and Brown marketed his as fiction because Robert Langdon was fiction. Then he went on talk shows working his lips like he had done all the back work. Thing is the Brits couldn't win their case but he should have given them credit and he should have given them royalities.
    ________

Bestselling author Dan Brown appeared in Britain’s High Court today to refute charges that he stole ideas and research for his 2003 bestselling [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]novel[/COLOR][/COLOR], The Da Vinci Code, from a 1982 work of nonfiction.

Historians Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh say they spent ten years researching for The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, which claims that Jesus and Mary Magdalene married, had a child and began a bloodline that exists to this day, protected by the Knights Templar. (A third author, Henry Lincoln, is not named in the suit as a litigant.)

Baigent and Leigh filed a breach of copyright suit against Brown and Random House, which also publishes The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail. If the authors win an injunction against further copyright infringement, the publisher could be prevented from releasing more copies of the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]book[/COLOR][/COLOR] or any future editions. Such an outcome could also affect the release of Ron Howard’s [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]film[/COLOR][/COLOR] adaptation of The Da Vinci Code, which stars Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou and Ian McKellen. It is to be release on May 19.

Lawyers representing Random House have expressed confidence that Brown and his publisher will be vindicated. “Can you copyright an idea?” a Random House spokesperson rhetorically asked a reporter for The [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Guardian[/COLOR][/COLOR]. “Previously, copyright has applied just to how the idea is used. This is why we are confident. If the claimants win, it's the end of John Grisham, Tom Clancy, Robert Harris, Helen Fielding—and [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Shakespeare[/COLOR][/COLOR]

.”

Leave JK alllooooooone!

Seriously, I love that woman.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Dan Brown is a hack who can't write but did steal his ideas.

I thought this case had already been settled?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I tried reading a Dan Brown book, i wanted to shoot myself after. Awful, awful writing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Dan Brown is a hack who can't write but did steal his ideas.

I thought this case had already been settled?

it has Dan Brown won, it was trying to prove my point that it's hard to sue for plagiarism

The book in question is 36 pages long. Pfft.

Thread Information