Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Twilight" series banned in Aussie primary schools

Default "Twilight" series banned in Aussie primary schools

'Racy' Twilight books banned from primary schools
    PRIMARY school students have been banned from reading the teen cult classic Twilight books because they are too racy.

Librarians have stripped the books from shelves in some junior schools because they believe the content is too sexual and goes against religious beliefs, The Daily Telegraph reports.

They even have asked parents not to let kids bring their own copies of Stephenie Meyer's smash hit novels - which explore the stormy love affair between a teenage girl and a vampire - to school.

Santa Sabina College at Strathfield was so concerned about the Twilight craze that teachers ran a seminar for Year 6 students to discuss sexual and supernatural themes in the books.

The school's head librarian Helen Schutz said: "We don't have a policy of censorship but the issues in the Twilight series are quite different from the Harry Potter classics.

Ex school lbrarian now aged 81. I have read the first 2 books, and thouroughly enjoyed them I also read, Harry Potter and envy Rawlins talent.

"It is not available in our junior library for these reasons."

She said that younger kids read the book - which have been turned in a smash hit movie - so they could "talk the talk and are part of the cool crowd".

But teachers addressed the primary students because they were concerned they might be too young to deal with the adult themes.

"There was a great level of concern from the teachers and we anticipated there would be concern from the parents," Ms Schutz said.

"We wanted to make sure they realise it's fictitious and ensure they don't have a wrong grasp on reality."

The four Twilight books trace the love affair between Bella Swan, who moves to a new school, and Edward Cullen, a mysterious heartthrob who belongs to a family of vampires.

The line between real life and fiction has been further blurred by constant speculation that on-screen stars Robert Pattison and Kristen Stewart are off-screen lovers.

Catholic Education Office spokesman Mark Rix said individual schools had to decide whether the books were suitable.

"It comes down to the discretion of the school to keep an eye on what the kids read," Mr Rix said. "Some primary students are not ready to read Twilight. That said, some secondary students may not be either."

Balmoral's Queenwood School for Girls head librarian Heather Voskyl said only senior school students were allowed to borrow the books from the library.

"There isn't a lot written for the Year 4 to 5 age group so they are quickly pushed into higher reading age groups. There is a mismatch between their level of maturity and their level of reading," she said.

St Anthony's Catholic primary school in Picton has asked parents not to let their children bring the book to school.

Emmi Payten, 10, from Bellevue Hill, has read three quarters of the first Twilight book.

"I know it's all just fantasy. I think it's really good, really interesting and bits of it are really funny," she said.
    'Racy' Twilight books banned from primary schools | National News | News.com.au

Though I am not at all a Twilight fan, I think if you're any age and understand what you're reading then by all means go for it as far as I'm concerned. I was reading Bram Stoker's Dracula in grade four.

I would imagine kids wee worse on tv and the internet, but I havent actually read Twilight. Though I doubt somehow its that racy.
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

correction see worse on tv, not wee
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Oh Bitches Pleez! That shit needs to be banned because it's too damn annoying, and I could even see it might be a distraction at school, but not for "racy content" Gimme a fucking break.

Ex school lbrarian now aged 81. I have read the first 2 books, and thouroughly enjoyed them I also read, Harry Potter and envy Rawlins talent.
    Rawlin?

Rowling?

Dear me.

My friend has lent me these books, I'm going to bite the bullet and read them. I scanned the first few pages earlier. Is it written like that all the way through?

my sister in law will read anything, and I mean anything and she had a go at the first few pages of Twilight and put it down. She said hell no.

I bet they're just doing the whole "This is racy, this is bad for kids" and then the kids will want it more thing. Its marketting dammit!!

Please note, these are SOME primary schools and going on the names, it sounds like it's private schools. Private schools can ban whatever the fuck they want, it's sort of the deal with private education : come to our way of thinking pls.

Twilight hasn't been banned by the state education departments and until it does we don't need to fret too much about state censorship and all that stuff.

Personally, I agree - I think Twilight is too racy for the average primary school kid. Perhaps junior high school (which is when I was reading Dracula and Anne Rice) but certainly not kids under 12 (which is primary school!)

It's not age appropriate - and that's something PARENTS should be monitoring. One of my pet peeves is that modern parents don't ever seem to utter those words: it is not age appropriate. No, you cannot take your 5 year old brother to see the latest Harry Potter film it is not age appropriate. No, you're 15, you cannot watch True Blood - it is not age appropriate.

How fucking difficult is it to actually parent?! Too many people make the assumption that anything supernatural or fantasy based is "for kids" - totally misleading and a dangerous assumption to make when dealing with young children. I had a seriously disturbing conversation with my sister once: I'd given her the heads up that while I loved the 4th Harry Potter film, it was probably not suitable for her HP obsessed kids, as at the time the HP obsessed nephew was only 8. I told her "Look, a main character dies at the end, by this point in the books it's not really a story for little kids anymore - let them grow up a bit before you show them this film. As the character Harry grows up, so do the stories and it's not age appropriate for my nephews at this point"

Her response? "Oh - are there books?"

Me: face>palm (I dunno where she'd been during HP hysteria, but she genuinely didn't know there were books. I got the brains in this family, unfortunately!)

About 6 months later, I was talking to her again and she came out with this piece of genius: "Oh, that last HP film was too scary for the kids!"
    "Yes, well I did tell you that!"
    "Oh. I forgot"
    "Well, you could always read the books, find out what happens and decide if it's age appropriate for the kids"
    "Oh. I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed that it was a film about magic and stuff, so it'd be fine for the kids."

FOR FUCK'S SAKE! I gave her a HUGE heads up and she still wanted to rely on "It's magic so it's got to be good for kids!" formula. And my sister isn't alone - so many parents just can't be bothered to actually think about this kind of stuff.

Ahem. Off soapbox now. Adult fantasy/supernatural fan out!

I'll admit to being an "older" Twilight fan (not a Twitard, though, a-thank you, though I would jump RPattz in a hot second), and there is nothing racy about it, not even remotely, until the 4th book. And even then it's all innuendo!

It is all innuendo, and that's where I think it's not appropriate for little kids. They have to ask questions to work it all out - honestly, I don't know what a 8 year old girl would actually make of the story. How would it be interesting?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post

My friend has lent me these books, I'm going to bite the bullet and read them. I scanned the first few pages earlier. Is it written like that all the way through?
    Yes. Try drinking a little something first, it makes it a little less painful.

Drink everytime Edward "dazzles" Bella or is described as intense, shimmering, sparkling, body of marble....

It makes the whole thing SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more entertaining! *snickers*

I don't like Twilight because it's good - I like it because it's SO bad it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post

I don't like Twilight because it's good - I like it because it's SO bad it's fun.

I can see how that would be fun to read for entertainment purposes. Once I heard about the sparkling vampires though, I just couldnt do it.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    "We wanted to make sure they realise it's fictitious and ensure they don't have a wrong grasp on reality."
    I wonder if they've banned any disney books or had school assemblies to ensure that students know that animals can't really talk. Or if it's okay if they don't grasp that reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    Yes. Try drinking a little something first, it makes it a little less painful.
    HAahaa, yeah, it is bad. I'm struggling through!

WTH is up with Bella and this catnip she seems to have stuffed down her knickers? Why do ALL THE BOYS fancy her?!? Ugh, it's such teenage wish fulfillment.

Up until this day, I never even knew the plot of Twilight. Does anyone care to hear that the story was stolen? Guess not.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information