Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do you get/buy your books?

Default Where do you get/buy your books?

I just went to a local library book 'sale' and bought 25 hardcover books of all kinds. It was fun...going through the books, and you could basically set your own price!(yay) so I paid a dollar a book.

Has anyone else been to one of these?

Where do you get your books? Bookstores, online, yard sales, etc. etc.??

Just wondering.

*I have no room for these..but I am sure I will find places for them! How can you not buy books on the cheap? It is like catnip to cats!

*I searched and did not find a thread like this...just sayin'
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I would always find space,too. I buy a lot from Amazon,Borders.Barnes & Noble. Anywhere!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

everywhere......book stores, second hand bookstores, online, yard sales....

by my moms house, every summer they have a church book sale.......fill a paper bag for $5.00...it's great, i try to never miss it
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores & amazon.com (used only from amazon, if i can help it).
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

flea markets, bookstores, used bookstores, museum shops (for art books), online...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My mother also happened to drive to this town and was there when I was there. I was browsing and there was a book "The Bitch In The House" and I picked it up and said, "Hey I should buy it for you" and she said "Hey you are the bitch not me!" and the 'ladies' volunteering at this sale looked somewhat horrified! I guess we forgot we were in this little small town near where I live.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

For shame, scaring the old broads.....

I have that book...the title was more promising than the essays
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    My mother also happened to drive to this town and was there when I was there. I was browsing and there was a book "The Bitch In The House" and I picked it up and said, "Hey I should buy it for you" and she said "Hey you are the bitch not me!" and the 'ladies' volunteering at this sale looked somewhat horrified! I guess we forgot we were in this little small town near where I live.
    that's funny!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

A*O

Books are insanely expensive here - around $35 for an ordinary paperpack. Stupid purchase tax.... So I either buy online from Amazon and even with shipping costs the books are less than half the Aussie price or I like to snurge around secondhand bookshops. There's a good one near here that gets a lot of fresh stock all the time so there's always something to grab.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Wow, that is insanely expensive A*O! I thought it was bad here the way they used to gouge us on the difference between the US and Canadian prices (they finally passed legislation that pegged it to the dollar values).

I get them from pretty much anywhere. Used book sales/fairs, the big stores, the indie stores (very few of them in this particular town), my University bookstore, online, etc. We really don't have room for more now, in fact more than half of our books are out in the barn in bins but I can't stop buying them!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

People know I'm bookmad, so while I do buy (library, ValueVillage, Salvation Army, Chapers, alibris.com for rare stuff, etc), the bulk of the books I have are from people clearing out shelves or cleaning out after deceased relatives. There's always some winnowing to be done with free books and I've got to pass on or donate ones I've no interest in. A couple of months ago, I got about a hundred turn of the century novels from an acquaintance clearing out a house after his grandmother died. People just don't read that much these days and nobody else wanted them. There's some good stuff in there! I love finding the lesser known books by famous authors. It really makes you wonder why some become classics and others just get forgotten.
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

The past two or three years, online. My favorite rare/old/out-of-print bookstore at 13th & Walnut Street closed down.

Used from Amazon

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I buy from anywhere...shops, online, second hand, garage sales, school/library sales. I spend too much on books, despite going to the library, so need to econimize when possible.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Library, online, and bookstores. I have four books on me at all times. It's really annoying. Dammit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information