Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Question Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Has anyone read the series? I'm currently on the first book, Outlander. So far it is really wonderful.

Hallo Aquarius,
    ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!
    Oh I've read them all and looking forward to the next and unfortunately last book of the series.
    When I was told how such a gread read it is and all I thought I would never read this kind of romantic-schmalzy-historic shit. Then I saw them in the library and shrunk away from their kitschy artwork on the cover which could only attract women in their mid-forties

But then I was so bored and didn't know what to read I took one home and got totally addicted to the story and the characters! like with no any other book before. I cannot really explain it.

The books have all the right mixture of fun and humour, bravity and action, tension and love, romance, good sex, accurate historical facts, colourful interesting side-characters, unforseen twists and turns, some mystery and down-to-earthness, real and deep feelings, family saga, crime...
    making me love, making me cry.
    I even used to dream very intensely and physically while reading the series.

I always wondered why it was never mentioned in the literature forum???

So, if you feel like talking about what you are currently reading - let's do it. I will keep out any spoilers

I've read the first book and was completely surprised by how much I loved it. I was staying with my grandmother for a few days, and being bored one afternoon, I came across it in her little library of random yard sell books. The jacket cover didn't look that promising but I gave it a go any way. Well, I couldn't put it down and finished it before I left! It was so good, and I really want to read the rest of the series. I agree that it has the right amount of love, sci fi, sex, blood, plot twists, history, and drama that make for a good story.

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    Hallo Aquarius,
    ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!
    Oh I've read them all and looking forward to the next and unfortunately last book of the series.
    When I was told how such a gread read it is and all I thought I would never read this kind of romantic-schmalzy-historic shit. Then I saw them in the library and shrunk away from their kitschy artwork on the cover which could only attract women in their mid-forties

But then I was so bored and didn't know what to read I took one home and got totally addicted to the story and the characters! like with no any other book before. I cannot really explain it.

The books have all the right mixture of fun and humour, bravity and action, tension and love, romance, good sex, accurate historical facts, colourful interesting side-characters, unforseen twists and turns, some mystery and down-to-earthness, real and deep feelings, family saga, crime...
    making me love, making me cry.
    I even used to dream very intensely and physically while reading the series.

I always wondered why it was never mentioned in the literature forum???

So, if you feel like talking about what you are currently reading - let's do it. I will keep out any spoilers

The next one is not the last book, author has said there is at least one maybe two more books left to write. There is also a movie deal in the works and a comic book type thing of when Jamie was younger. After this series Gabaldon has said she plans to write a book about Jamie's parents.

i can't wait for the next one in the series.. i finished outlander last friday.. my sister has them all so far and i'm going to get the next one this coming weekend.. i'm really looking forward to it..

i wonder who they would cast as jamie and claire in a movie..

Quote Originally Posted by Hummus View Post
    The next one is not the last book, author has said there is at least one maybe two more books left to write. There is also a movie deal in the works and a comic book type thing of when Jamie was younger. After this series Gabaldon has said she plans to write a book about Jamie's parents.
    great fantastic news!
    so there's never gonna be an end to it. I hope all these books to come will have an average of 1000pages.
    But I won't watch any kind of film or read a comic book. The books are enough and more subtle to stimulate my fantasy.

A*O

Meh - a friend of mine recommended Diana Gadalbon's books a couple of years ago so in a moment of weakness I tried whatever book was current then, some Scottish "Brigadoon" thing, and after 100 pages I gave up. I know she has a huge following but I just couldn't get into it at all. Sorry.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Did you start with the first book of the series?

I know that in some books of the Outlander, there were some lengths in the beginning.
    Maybe you also chose the second or third book and couldn't get into the plot and characters?

yes, I can relate to that.
    I had also thought I would never fall for such a stupid love story million of women are craving for - but I did. Somehow, the plot worked for me.

But then there are books that are praised by others and they bore me to hell...

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post

But then there are books that are praised by others and they bore me to hell...
    Hm... like Twilight? I hated those books, and of course I completely read all of them because I kept thinking the story had to get better... much to my disappointment and annoyance, it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusMoon View Post
    i can't wait for the next one in the series.. i finished outlander last friday.. my sister has them all so far and i'm going to get the next one this coming weekend.. i'm really looking forward to it..

i wonder who they would cast as jamie and claire in a movie..
    Ten years ago, I would have said Russell Crowe for Jamie. Even Gerard Butler is too old at this point.

I think this dude, Aiden Turner, from Being Human would be good... even though he's Irish.

...Yum.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Echo in the Bone is coming out 09/22!

Quote Originally Posted by Hummus View Post
    Echo in the Bone is coming out 09/22!
    I am 251st in line at my library to get one copy of the book already. (Though I know they will add on loads more copies sooner to the release date.) I can't wait to see what happens!
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

Bronze Member

I'm looking forward to this book as well. I've just finished the True Blood books, so I'm thinking about re-reading these until the I can get the new book.

I came on this thread to see if anyone has read the books. I see the reviews are good. I'll go ahead and buy the first one, as my local library has the whole chronology checked out and the "on hold" line is ridiculous.
    JazzyGirl and Waterslide like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information