Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Twilight & New Moon: Plagiarized?!

Default Twilight & New Moon: Plagiarized?!

Twilight & New Moon: Plagarized?!

Published by Regina Avalos

Fans of Twilight waiting anxiously for the release of the second movie in the series, New Moon, might want to sit down real quick. There is a rumor out of Hollywood this weekend that production on New Moon has come to a screeching halt. A complete one. The release of New Moon later on this year is in jeopardy.

A woman living in Utah, Heidi Stanton, has now made claims that Stephanie Meyer stole the idea for Twilight and the series from a short story she herself wrote when she was Meyer’s college roommate back in 1993. The woman says she has proof of this, and even a supporting witness in the form of a professor.

These claims have ended New Moon’s production as of right now. No official word of this from representatives of Meyer or from the set, but it does seem to be making the rounds this morning. Will keep an eye on this rumor for you. Check out this new footage from the set from ET. Entertainment Tonight plans to take a look at thebehind the scenes of New Moon later this week.
    Mrs. Stanton’s claims have some credence to them as she has documented proof that a short story with very similar idea was written by her in 1993 while she was a sophomore at BYU. English department chairperson Dr. Peter Benton was at the time a second year professor of writing and distinctly remembers Ms. Stanton’s prolific writing style and the vampire story in particular.

The story stood out in my mind, at the time, because it was more advanced than most sophomore students usually presented, also the vampire story stood out because I had recently taught a series of lectures on Brahm Stoker’s Dracula.” claims Dr. Benton. “I felt at the time that Heidi had brought a very current and up to date look at a classic subject.
    http://celebritytoday.today.com/2009...on-plagarized/
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"the sight of Kim writhing around with her huge bum and the sound of her horrible high-pitched wailing repulsed me. By the end of the tape, I had burst into tears." - Mike Amess

Elite Member

interesting... why come forward NOW? hmmmm

I wonder if it took so long for her to go public because she was trying to reach a $$$ settlement. I can't put my finger on why, but i find this story believable.

Gold Member

There's already been allegations that Meyer's plagiarized other young adult novels for every book she's written. This woman seems to be late to the party, lol.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Elite Member

Ok so did her roommate just write a vampire story or is dialouge and all? I'm sorry but there's going to be more than one people. That's like calling historical fiction plagirism, there's only so much you can do with a historical icon.

Gold Member

Since I'm such a dork, http://www.twilightlexicon.com/...

I was trying to find something I read a month or two ago about SM's book The Host. The plot was way too familiar to me so I was Googling trying to figure out why. Instead of an explanation for that, I found tons of pages about the whole Twilight series being copied or people crying foul because it was too close to the Evermore books and a few others. I guess it's true that there really are no original ideas left, lol.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Quote Originally Posted by mklady View Post
    I guess it's true that there really are no original ideas left, lol.
    Or that Meyer's a fucking hopeless excuse for an "author"... *shrugs*

If it is plagiarised...couldn't she have plagiarised from a decent source? And no amount of stealing ideas will make up for her substandard writing.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

This sounds like it could be true. It just did seem too easy the story she sold about being a Mom and housewife and just threw out these books, On some talk show I am pretty sure she said they came from a dream?
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Those books were written horrifically. She should hide and not say she had anything to do with them. The writing was gosh awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    If it is plagiarised...couldn't she have plagiarised from a decent source? And no amount of stealing ideas will make up for her substandard writing.
    seriously. if you're going to plagiarise, at least steal something that isn't so embarrassing.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I dont think this is true but she definitely has stolen or taken other stories from similar books and other authors. Its only plaigerism if she actually copied the text from another book. Ideas or even characters names can be used. Also it looks like this story is a hoax.
    False Rumor: Former College Roomate Claims Plagiarism by Stephenie Meyer | Dear Author: Romance Novel Reviews, Industry News, and Commentary

There was this author called Sunny who actually copied off Laurell K Hamilton and Anne Bishop by taking characters names and settings and ideas. Anne Bishop was told about this but her lawyer stated that there was no case because no text was lifted from her books just names and settings like demon realms and rip off characters.

Thread Information