Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: "The Secret Actress" column in The Guardian

She went to school in french though so the school experience of English and drama doesn't fit.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

And didn't her father give her 20$ for the taxi? So the father of this "secret actress" probably also lives in the US..

I believe it is Jennifer Lawrence. Isn't she always saying how she is a "normal size girl" and the style of writing just screams "look how cute and down to earth I am!".

My first thought is that it's fake. It's clearly been put together by a professional writer anyway (although of course that could just be subbing or ghost-writing), but I suspect it's a compilation of stories that's been put together in the first person to make a more interesting read. Besides, the repeated 'Leo will win' reference is a red herring because an actress wouldn't be in his category anyway. If the overall piece is real, which I doubt, that clue is just a metaphorical reference to whomever was the favourite in her category, which suggests that some of the other 'clues' are also designed to throw us off. On balance, I vote Fake.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

But just in case it isn't, I might sling in a half-hearted vote for Emma Thompson because she's an extremely articulate woman who can really write (and has an Oscar to prove it). She's also a comparatively 'regular' size. And relevant or not, Leo happened to be nominated in 1994. But I'm not convinced.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    She may live in L.A., but I bet she was in New York for the Oscar nominations. The mention of a relative shimmying up the fire escape to bang on her window screams NY apartment. No one that famous lives in an apartment in L.A., they have a house. Even the celebs who live in L.A. temporarily live in hotels or rental homes.

There's no mention of the actress being British, so I think she's originally from NYC but lives in L.A. now. A relative coming up the fire escape and then friends coming over to scream about the Oscar nominations leads me to believe her family/friends are still in NY so she's originally from there. The question is, who's an actress originally from NYC who was nominated in the same year as Leo and when Meryl also attended?
    Except that it states:
    I was asleep when it was announced I’d been nominated for an Academy Award. They read the nominees’ names out at about 6am and I’d reasoned hysteria or disappointment – whichever way the wind blew – would be better met after 8am and a large coffee.
    If she was in NY at the time of the announcement, it wouldn't have been at 6am, because the nominations are announced starting at 5:30 AM Pacific time. So, she would have already had her 8am coffee when they start the announcements at 8:30am NY time. The only way her nomination would be announced around 6am would be if she were in LA.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

I vote fake, or at best a compilation of stories about/from various people.

Whoever is the writer, the flow and slang are kind of stilted. Like they're not native speakers of American English, or they are, and they're trying to pretend they're not.
    rollo and bootspaige like this.

i don't think it's fake. it's the guardian, not the ny post or the daily fail or the sun or some nasty tabloid. it's a respectable paper.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Remember the person is accomplished in both film and TV. Minnie Driver fits that mark....for that cable show.....many of the other's don't.

You guys are forgetting that this was a child film actress. A lot of these suggestions don't fit that.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i don't think it's fake. it's the guardian, not the ny post or the daily fail or the sun or some nasty tabloid. it's a respectable paper.
    Respectable papers have pulled some shenanigans before. It's a blind gossip column, so by its very nature its already fudging the details. It wouldn't be a stretch to fudge things a little further by pretending there's a single author with exclusive, inside sources.

Silver Member

To me, the phrase about crepiness of batwings refers to the skin around the armpit on the upper arm - and young women don't normally have crepey skin.
    Lalasnake and fuzuoko like this.

I'm going to throw Rosamund Pike's name in the hat. Early in her career she made a movie with Anthony Hopkins, who could be the Oscar winner in question that her mom sat next to.

Silver Member

I don't think it's Jennifer Lawrence, this actres seems to relive this one Oscar moment and J. law has been nominated four times now and won once. I don't think she's in awe of Streep like she might have been five or six years ago.

I like Minnie Driver for the guess. She would have been young back then for her Dad to give her cab fare.

Gold Member

I don't think it's a Brit. Color vs. colour.

American spellings are spreading. That isn't so clear as it once was.
    sputnik, sluce and bootspaige like this.
    "We don't want other leaders and other countries laughing at us any more. And they won't be. They won't be." --Trump

"ROFL" -- rest of world

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information