Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DListed

Dunno - these two looked kinda chummy at Suri's birthday party from those overhead shots that were taken. Of course, that could be all for show too.

Elite Member

The reference to her "getting her parents involved" may refer to Katie Holmes' dad, who is a divorce lawyer and was involved in writing her pre-nup/contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    BlindGossip.com » Stepford Steps a Little Closer to Freedom

Stepford Steps a Little Closer to Freedom
    BlindGossip - This celebrity couple’s pre-nuptial agreement required the wife to stay in the relationship for a certain amount of time. However, the Stepford Wife’s law firm has decided that it may be difficult to impossible for the husband to enforce this. It seems that the wife knows much more than she should about the husband’s long-time and very personal relationship with another high-profile man. She is using that knowledge to get her sentence reduced and to to gain custody over the couple’s kid/s.

It’s still not Nicole Kidman.

Related: This Stepford Wife is Packing Her Bags
    Tommy and the Terror Midget sitting in a tree.....

But since this is a Blind Gossip BI, I have a hard time believing it.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    But plenty still do, if not in court then as the advising counsel.
    Advising is not the same as *being their lawyer*

I'm just pointing out that Katie's dad can't act for her directly, even if he wants to.

He can help her get the best lawyer in the biz, for sure. He can chip in with his two cents to her as often as he wants.

He can't stand up in court and represent his daughter though.

Perhaps professional standards for lawyers are different in the US to Australia. You certainly couldn't do it here.

Silver Member

well it seems pretty obvious they are meaning this to be about Kate but man I bet its not true

Chasing Demri around our house in her walker!

First of all, OH how i WISH/HOPE that this Blind Item (which is OBVIOUSLY, inarguably, WITHOUT A DOUBT about Katie & Tom; the only issue is whether it's actually true or just unfounded--wishful--made-up gossip) is TRUE!!!!! The Gossip World (as someone already pointed out is rather unexciting these days) would become super-exciting! And most of all i'd be SO HAPPY to see someone (meek Katie, of all people!) stand up to TinyTom & his stupid evil cult/*church*. And it would be REALLY interesting if some major truths came out, like when Tom inevitably threatens Katie that if she leaves him or opens her mouth & spills any secrets she'll never see Suri again; then Katie retaliates by going public with the information that Suri is NOT really even Tom's biological kid (as he's told the world he is) & that (as most of us already HIGHLY suspect & consider as truth-) Tom is in fact STERILE. And if lots of OTHER juicy info from behind the scenes of their super-secret, so-carefully-choreographed, creepy, fake life came spilling out as they flung mud at each other in an ALL-OUT BATTLE!!!!! -Wishful thinking, probably, but...You never know!!! Anyway:
    Sooger said:
    Conflict of interest usually applies to prior transactions/matters that could compromise the case of a current client. Usually conflicts of interest can be waived if the client signs a statement that he or she is aware of the conflict.
    ^^Yes. From my experience working in law firms for years as a Paralegal, i believe this to be true.
    I just want to add that many states have their own version of the professional rules but they are usually based on the ABA's rules. Many attorneys handle matters for their family.

However Katy's father just can't do work on behalf of Katie unless he is licensed in California. I guess he could file motions in Ohio but I can't see how Tom's attorneys wouldn't object on grounds of jurisdiction. They reside in California.
    Katie's father, in serving as her attorney (or one of his law firm partners, if he/they choose to have another law-firm-member "technically" be her lawyer) could try to find grounds to file a Pro Hac Vice Motion ([as you legal professionals already know:] which is a legal pleading/motion which requests the Court in a state in which an attorney is not a member of the bar-in this case California, to allow the attorney to work on a specific case in said state just as if he/she were/are a member of the bar in said state, because he/she has significant grounds & is already very involved in the matter, enough to be allowed to work on said out-of-state matter). Mr. Holmes would, it seems to me, have good grounds for filing a Pro Hac Vice Motion if he were the attorney who drafted and/or had significant involvement in Tom & Katie's Prenuptial Agreement (which, by all accounts, he was). That would give him a good chance of the California Court allowing him (or another member of his law firm) to serve as attorney in the divorce case even though he's in Ohio and the divorce case would be in CA, since he IS very involved in their legal marital matters already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    Advising is not the same as *being their lawyer*

I'm just pointing out that Katie's dad can't act for her directly, even if he wants to.

He can help her get the best lawyer in the biz, for sure. He can chip in with his two cents to her as often as he wants.

He can't stand up in court and represent his daughter though.
    ^^Very likely, IMO, (as i alluded to above), Mr. Holmes would probably have another member of his law firm (he owns his own law firm) serve as his daughter's *official* (i.e. "on paper") attorney, and he would serve "behind the scenes" in the capacity of an "advisor"--although i am quite confident he would be the WHOLE brains of the operation, making ALL decisions, & running the whole case--but just with another attorney's name on documents & going to court appearances as Katie's "official" attorney.--Just to avoid "any appearance of impropriety"--which is so important in the legal ethics world.

My two cents anyway.
    My precious baby girl:
    ~ Demri Elizabeth-June ~
    Arrived July 19th. 6 lbs.,5 oz.; 19.5". BEAUTIFUL !

^^ That was more like a buck fifty.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'd be happydancing for a week if I thought that the GMD was about to be played at his own game and KatE-Bot bested him. Still, wishful thinking doesn't make it true...

What do we actually know about Martin Holmes as a lawyer? He might well be good, but does he have the balls and credentials to be able to successfully navigate the sharks that Team Crazy would set on his daughter and her legal team?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information