Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entertainment Lawyer 01/16/09

Default Entertainment Lawyer 01/16/09

This is going to be very hard for you to solve, but thought I would share it since you shared stories on Your Turn. This is not my best day, but it was a memorable day for sure. This happened awhile ago. It didn't happen as long ago as that Las Vegas hotel room blind though. Yeah, if you want to look that one up you will need to find it.

Anyway, at the time this happened a few years ago, all of the people involved were on a (#1) very funny network show that was not quite a big hit. It tried, and had an audience but it only lasted a few years. Not quite enough episodes for syndication.

(#2) Well one of the leads in the show had a party at his house. He is a C list actor, although at the time he was probably B because of a relationship he was in. He has really made his name based on two television shows and a relationship. I don't think he has ever done a movie.

So, the lead had a party at his house and I got dragged there by a friend of mine. One of the things that I noticed right away was that while most of the parties I had been to involved drinking games, this group of people had coke games. Instead of quarters they played games like fastest to do three lines of coke. Yeah, good times. To be fair, sometimes they would mix things up and include doing a shot and then three lines of coke. If you were last, you had to get up from the table and the free coke and had to let someone else sit there.

(#3)Anyway, the absolute clear winner in all of this was a woman who is, honestly a D list actress now and was probably a C list actress then, despite being one of the leads on the show. She just could not be beat. If there were a table of six she would beat them all every time, and would keep beating them repeatedly. Plus she showed no signs of it affecting her. It also seemed like she had no friends there and this was her one way of connecting with the group. She is actually on a series now as a regular, but it is her first regular job since the other show went off the air.

(#4)The clear loser almost everytime was probably the best known actor of the bunch. He will probably be a permanent B lister based on a few key roles (both television and film) in his career. He was older than the rest of the cast, but they loved him. Mainly because he always lost so they got to keep playing, but also from what I understand he paid for the entire amount of coke. It was a ton of coke.

There were about 30 people at this party, but to the six or seven people sitting at the table all they could think of was to keep playing that game. They didn't notice anyone or anything beyond that game. The rest of the attendees at the house were laughing and drinking or not drinking and having a great time. The people at the table just seemed to only care about the next round of the game.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

According to the descriptions this won't be close but I get a kick out of imaging the cast of Arrested Development... but not as the actors-- as the actual characters.
    Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

This is a weird blind. I can't come up with anything so far, so I'll have to think it over.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Bronze Member

totally wrong here im sure, but throwing out what came into my head first - Comedy That 70's Show #1 Wilmer Valderama (higher profile while with Lilo) #2 any of the actresses i guess #3 Ashton Kutcher

^^That 70's Show is in syndication, the sitcom in question is not.

I don't know why, but show 'Titus' came to mind. I don't think its the answer, but some of the clues fit. The older actor could be Stacy Keach (played the Dad) and the Dlist actress could be Cynthia Wornos (sp?) who is now on 'Lost', or WAS anyway.
    Christopher Titus has been on at least one other show since 'Titus'...but I don't think he is known for any relationship..so that is throwing me.

Just wanted to throw that in..

i'm unsure what syndication means, does it mean that other networks in other countrys air it too? because titus is on TV here atm

Hmmm....not sure about that Rica. It's not in Syndication here, because I would be watching that shit EVERYDAY. I LOVED Titus!!

I was just throwing it out there---it's probably not even that.

Bronze Member

News Radio

^^ I believe News Radio has been in syndication before, not sure about currently.

News Radio was in syndication.

Titus definetly isn't/wasn't. I LOVED that show.
    Fabulous!

someone explain syndication to me! I never understood what that word means! *feels stupid*

Elite Member

someone explain syndication to me! I never understood what that word means! *feels stupid*
    It's a little more complicated than this, but basically it's when rights to air a show are sold to another broadcaster. That's why you see old shows that are still on TV. Why Friends and Seinfeld are on at 4,5,6 o'clock every day. Why the Cosby Show is aired on Nick at Night or TV Land. Or, it can be a show that still has new episodes. Law and Order is still on NBC every season with new episodes, but TNT (I think) shows the old episodes.

People want the show to go into syndication because that's where they make most of the money. The original network, the producers make money from the rights and all the actors get 'residuals.' They make money every time the show is aired. There are exceptions, but shows usually need to make it to 100 episodes before they're eligible for syndication.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    It's a little more complicated than this, but basically it's when rights to air a show are sold to another broadcaster. That's why you see old shows that are still on TV. Why Friends and Seinfeld are on at 4,5,6 o'clock every day. Why the Cosby Show is aired on Nick at Night or TV Land. Or, it can be a show that still has new episodes. Law and Order is still on NBC every season with new episodes, but TNT (I think) shows the old episodes.

People want the show to go into syndication because that's where they make most of the money. The original network, the producers make money from the rights and all the actors get 'residuals.' They make money every time the show is aired. There are exceptions, but shows usually need to make it to 100 episodes before they're eligible for syndication.
    thank you for your explantion, but does it also count for if a show is sold to another country?

Elite Member

I don't know for sure. My guess is that there may be a difference between overseas rights to air a show and overseas syndication. I know often times US shows are aired overseas (often a season or two behind).

In regards to this Blind Item, I would guess that Ent Lawyer means the show is not in syndication in the US.

it likely is just in the USA, which means I'm useless for this

i'll just go that away ->>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information