Thread: Blind item (fading actor)

Default Blind item (fading actor)

This black actor got into show business accidentally. In the 80ís, he starred on a weekly TV series and was paid $25,000 per episode ($100,000 per month). Although the series didnít last long, he became popular and basked in the glow of celebrity. He spent all of his money on drugs and exotic cars. He also hosted expensive parties. His sexuality was always in question; he went to great lengths to avoid commenting on his personal life and he was never seen in the presence of women. He was considered more masculine than feminine and he was sexy. After his career hit the skids, he stopped hiding his sexuality and became blatantly gay. He adapted the gay lingo in conversation and often snapped his fingers at the end of a sentence. He was virtually destitute when he started to perform on cruise ships to make a living. He saved up enough money to move to Europe where he allegedly became a 'male prostitute.' Since his former show had been huge in Europe and he enjoyed Ďname statusí overseas, this enabled him to charge top dollar for his services. He was a constant fixture on the gay party circuit and became hopelessly addicted to cocaine and then he became sick. He would die from his illness.
    I LIKE THAT OLD TIME ROCK N ROLL...THE KIND OF MUSIC THAT SOOTHES THE SOUL....

Default Re: Blind item (fading actor)

Ok I know this one!!!! GENE ANTHONY RAY, from Fame. Did I win??

Geez, no idea. What he/she said above sounds about right.

LynnieD, Gene Anthony Ray is the dude that played Leroy in the movie Fame, and the TV series. He was supposed to be straight in the movie. He danced on cruise ships in the 1990's, and he died in 2003. It has to be him. The only other one that crossed my mind was Gary Coleman initially since he made about $25k per episode on Different strokes but the more I read I knew it wasn't Gary. I googled up the wazoo to double-check the answer. When peekaboo said they were dead, it's way easier to nail it down.

Great guess! I don't think I would have thought of him. I never actually saw the show Fame, but I know who you are talking about. And it certainly sounds like it was him. He was quite 'femmy'...

Sad...

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    This black actor got into show business accidentally. In the 80ís, he starred on a weekly TV series and was paid $25,000 per episode ($100,000 per month). Although the series didnít last long, he became popular and basked in the glow of celebrity. He spent all of his money on drugs and exotic cars. He also hosted expensive parties. His sexuality was always in question; he went to great lengths to avoid commenting on his personal life and he was never seen in the presence of women. He was considered more masculine than feminine and he was sexy. After his career hit the skids, he stopped hiding his sexuality and became blatantly gay. He adapted the gay lingo in conversation and often snapped his fingers at the end of a sentence. He was virtually destitute when he started to perform on cruise ships to make a living. He saved up enough money to move to Europe where he allegedly became a 'male prostitute.' Since his former show had been huge in Europe and he enjoyed Ďname statusí overseas, this enabled him to charge top dollar for his services. He was a constant fixture on the gay party circuit and became hopelessly addicted to cocaine and then he became sick. He would die from his illness.
    I agree with the Gene Anthony Ray theory. I'm pretty sure I read all of this about him around the time he died. The only line that made me hestitate that it was hime was: "Although the series didnít last long..." If I recall, Fame has quite a long span in its day.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by card View Post
    Ok I know this one!!!! GENE ANTHONY RAY, from Fame. Did I win??
    Damn you guys are good. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Thread Information