Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 3 Post By Annie B
  • 3 Post By C_is_for_Cookie
  • 4 Post By lindsaywhit
  • 2 Post By dksnj
  • 1 Post By KinaLillet

Thread: Mira Sorvino Details Two Gross Auditions

  1. #1
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    18,261

    Default Mira Sorvino Details Two Gross Auditions

    Mira Sorvino Details Two Gross Auditions

    JULY 12, 2018 BLIND GOSSIP 7 COMMENTS
    [Fox News] Mira Sorvino is opening up about sexual harassment in Hollywood.
    In an interview with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s “HFPA In Conversation” podcast on Wednesday, the Academy Award-winning actress, who has previously been outspoken in support of the #MeToo movement, shared her personal experience with harassment in the industry.
    “In looking back over at my career, I realized that in one of my very first auditions, when I was 16, I was completely treated inappropriately by the casting director,” the now-50-year-old shared.
    “In order to scare me for this horror movie scene, he tied me to a chair, he bruised my arm, and I was 16 years old, and then he gagged me, and I was all game because I’m trying to be scared for the scene,” she claimed.
    “And at the end he takes the gag out of my mouth and he said, ‘Sorry for the prophylactic,’ so he had gagged me with a condom,” further alleged Sorvino, who did not name the casting director or movie.
    “I was too young to even know, thank God, what a condom tasted like,” she added. “It was so inappropriate, and what the heck was a casting director doing with a condom in his pocket in an audition?”
    Sorvino said that audition was one of her first “introductions to how the acting system works” and explained that “when you’re young, you don’t question.”
    “When you’re young, you’re like, ‘Oh OK, I’ve got to be tough, I’ve got to be down to really perform, and if that means they need me to go this extra mile’ — and you see many times we have awards given to people for giving particularly raw performances in very brutal, sexual scenes or things like that,” said the “Mighty Aphrodite” star.
    “There’s that aesthetic of letting go of the self and trying to submit yourself for the art. People take advantage of that. People have always taken advantage of that,” added Sorvino, who went on to share there have been “other situations that have happened throughout” her career.
    “Like nude scene days or love scene days — all of a sudden contracts being thrown out the window,” she claimed. “Extra people on the set, coming close. Weirdness. A lot of weirdness. Directors pressuring you to have relationships with them, people casting you saying if you have a sexual relationship with them they’ll give you the part.”
    “That has happened to me several times,” shared Sorvino, who has previously come forward about disgraced producer Harvey Weisntein sexually harassing her.
    The Golden Globe winner also claimed that she’s had friends “who were advised: ‘You’re absolutely going to have to have sex with all kinds of people to advance your career.’”
    Sorvino added that because she “never did that” and “was never willing to,” she lost out on acting roles.
    “That was horrendous to me,” she said. “I felt that was just a betrayal of who I was as a person. If I was going to do that, I was not myself anymore, so I always refused all of those things, and lost out on certain acting opportunities in big movies because of it.”
    Sorvino recalled one audition in particular with a “big director.”
    “A big director who has gotten Oscars and is known for his social justice profile in some of these movies literally said to me at a very end-stage audition meeting, ‘You know, as I look at you my mind can’t help but traveling from the artistic possibilities to the sexual,’” she alleged, adding that her “mouth just opened” and she “just smiled nervously back.”
    “You know my silence was deafening, I’m sure,” said Sorvino, who did not name the director or role she was auditioning for.
    “In my mind, the thing going on in my head, was ‘Oh. I thought this was a legitimate meeting,’” she added. “I thought this was an actual, you had me here, because you thought I was talented or that I brought something that would be good for this role.
    “Not that you were were here fishing to see if I was going to have an affair with you. I know for a fact that’s why I didn’t get that part.”
    Similar: Blonde Brunette And Redhead
    Casting Director and/or Horror Movie:
    Oscar-Winning Director and/or Movie:
    [Optional] What do you think you would have done in either situation?
    Mira Sorvino Details Two Gross Auditions | BLIND GOSSIP
    Brookie likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

  2. #2
    czb
    czb is offline
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    15,056

    Default

    i'm shocked! said no one, ever.


  3. #3
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    18,261

    Default

    ^Sadly.
    czb likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

  4. #4
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    29,136

    Default

    Are we gonna automatically assume one of these couldn't have been Quentin just because they dated?

    Completely unrelated: For 50yo she looks damn good.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  5. #5
    Elite Member Annie B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,371

    Default

    She was definitely one of the blackballed actresses, she completely disappeared in Hollywood and she was a well-liked actress by audiences. I love her after I saw her on Joy Reid's weekend show on MSNBC as an attendee at the protest in Tornillo TX against the separation and LOSS of immigrant kids from parents crossing the southern border. She had a hand made sign and was utterly heart broken about what is happening at the border.
    Brookie, Sassiness and sparkles like this.

  6. #6
    Elite Member C_is_for_Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    Are we gonna automatically assume one of these couldn't have been Quentin just because they dated?

    Completely unrelated: For 50yo she looks damn good.
    I don't think he fits the clues given. I saw spec that the Oscar winning social justice movie maker may be Oliver Stone.

    It's interesting she didn't say anything about Woody.
    avatar made by green_queen@LJ

  7. #7
    Elite Member lindsaywhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,165

    Default

    Is it wrong for me to be discouraged because she and others still feel too intimidated to name names? Because I'm not sure much is going to actually change until abusers are called out.

  8. #8
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    29,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Is it wrong for me to be discouraged because she and others still feel too intimidated to name names? Because I'm not sure much is going to actually change until abusers are called out.
    It's probably a director who is still flying under the radar. To out someone like that, even during the METOO era, is more effort and trauma than providing an additional story verifying what someone already said about Weinstein, Spacey, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    I don't think he fits the clues given. I saw spec that the Oscar winning social justice movie maker may be Oliver Stone.

    It's interesting she didn't say anything about Woody.
    Too old to be of interest to him, probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    Are we gonna automatically assume one of these couldn't have been Quentin just because they dated?

    Completely unrelated: For 50yo she looks damn good.
    I've loved her forever. I think she has a degree in East Asian studies from an Ivy League school, but am not sure. Beautiful and smart. Sickening that you have to run a gauntlet just to do your job..

  9. #9
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    18,261

    Default

    Mira always seems very sweet and gracious.

    And yes, she is supposed to be very intelligent, too. Per wiki:

    Sorvino excelled in high school, and was accepted into Harvard University. She studied for one year as an exchange student with CIEE in Beijing, China, where she became fluent in Mandarin Chinese.[8]In 1989, she graduated from Harvard magna cum laude with a degree in East Asian studies.[9] She also helped found the Harvard-Radcliffe Veritones, one of Harvard's co-ed a cappella groups in 1985.[10]
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

  10. #10
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21,384

    Default

    I liked her guest part in Modern Family.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  11. #11
    Elite Member dksnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    I wonder if they give enough clues for people to figure it out without naming them.

    She mentions this was an audition for a horror film when she was 16. I looked at her IMDB and see she was in a horror movie at 18 called The Stuff. Timeline could line up if auditions are held a year or so before film is released. Director on that was Larry Cohen.
    Waterslide and Sassiness like this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

  12. #12
    Elite Member Sassiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Land Down Under
    Posts
    3,062

    Default

    Sorvino recalled one audition in particular with a “big director.”
    “A big director who has gotten Oscars and is known for his social justice profile in some of these movies literally said to me at a very end-stage audition meeting, ‘You know, as I look at you my mind can’t help but traveling from the artistic possibilities to the sexual,’” she alleged, adding that her “mouth just opened” and she “just smiled nervously back

    OK, So... "big director" with Oscars. A List? Who is A List director (not director/actor) who is "known for his social justice profile"?

  13. #13
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    Sorvino recalled one audition in particular with a “big director.”
    “A big director who has gotten Oscars and is known for his social justice profile in some of these movies literally said to me at a very end-stage audition meeting, ‘You know, as I look at you my mind can’t help but traveling from the artistic possibilities to the sexual,’” she alleged, adding that her “mouth just opened” and she “just smiled nervously back

    OK, So... "big director" with Oscars. A List? Who is A List director (not director/actor) who is "known for his social justice profile"?
    Oliver Stone?
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

  14. #14
    Silver Member Daphodil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Steven Spielberg? Like a weird big brother. Ew.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mira Sorvino's dress
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 30th, 2014, 09:57 AM
  2. Mira Sorvino
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 28th, 2014, 02:50 PM
  3. Mira Sorvino's dress
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 25th, 2013, 05:26 PM
  4. Mira Sorvino
    By mrs.v in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: November 20th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •