• 3 Post By tipofthehat
  • 2 Post By Moongirl
  • 7 Post By Brah
  • 3 Post By faithanne

Thread: Daily Beast's Olympics Grindr Article

mkf
    Bronze Member

Default Daily Beast's Olympics Grindr Article

Everyone is going crazy over the Daily Beast's homophobic article about their reporter using Grindr at the Olympics. They took the article down, but there were some details Queerty still posted:
    “Athlete profiles on the various apps during my short exploration included a Brazilian track star, an Italian volleyball player, a South American record-holder in the pool, a sailor from New Zealand, a British diver, and a handball player from a notoriously homophobic country."

There were more details about another one of them, but I haven't found the original article. Who do you think these are?

Wait, there are horny guys at the Olympics? Stop the presses!
    C_is_for_Cookie and Wisher like this.

They murder gays at random in Brazil. On that Ellen Page "Vacation" show, she and her buddy interviewed a serial killer who targeted gay men. They only like for gay men to be out and about during Carnival, then back to the closet. I'd be concerned for his safety. The reporter is a bit of an asshole. But the reality is, someone will always find out one way or another. Trust me, I know.
    Wisher and Sassiness like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    They murder gays at random in Brazil. On that Ellen Page "Vacation" show, she and her buddy interviewed a serial killer who targeted gay men. They only like for gay men to be out and about during Carnival, then back to the closet. I'd be concerned for his safety. The reporter is a bit of an asshole. But the reality is, someone will always find out one way or another. Trust me, I know.
    The reporter is more than a bit of an asshole. He's deceitful, cruel and irresponsible.

Trying to prove gay men like sex as much as straights? And use dating and hookup sites to do it, just like straights?

As for his 'wife and baby', I question why 'family time' meant so much to him he had to go and play about on Grindr anyway.
    Wisher, Melyanna and Brookie like this.

Gay Olympic swimmer has words for straight writer who outed Olympians. | LGBT | Someecards

Amini Fonua, an Olympic swimmer from Tonga and one of the many openly gay athletes competing at the games, had a thing or two to say to the straight Daily Beast writer, Nico Hines, who outed athletes with his not-funny-but-it-tried-so-hard-to-be-funny Grindr-In-Rio story.The negative response to the article was swift and layered. Critics claim Hines was able to simultaneously out athletes from countries where it can be dangerous (and deadly) to be gay while also slut-shaming them. Oh, and he's a straight white dude, so obviously him being on Grindr to lure athletes for a story is totally cool, right?

Fonua took to Twitter to share his thoughts on the story and Hines, and he didn't hold back.

As an out gay athlete from a country that is still very homophobic, @thedailybeast ought to be ashamed #deplorable https://t.co/qzS9rDFJwx— Amini Fonua (@AminiFonua) August 11, 2016

@NicoHines You fucking disgust me. Do you realize how many people's lives you just ruined without any good reason but clickbait journalism?— Amini Fonua (@AminiFonua) August 11, 2016

@NicoHines Some of these people you just outed are my FRIENDS. With family and lives that are forever going to be affected by this— Amini Fonua (@AminiFonua) August 11, 2016

@NicoHines Seriously fuck off with your str8 white male privilege preying on closeted people who can't live in their truth yet. U ruin us— Amini Fonua (@AminiFonua) August 11, 2016

@NicoHines must think it's really fucking funny that he can do this shit without any consequences and go home to his family & kids unscathed— Amini Fonua (@AminiFonua) August 11, 2016

@thedailybeast & @NicoHines don't realize this drags us gays in sports back 10 steps. You invaded both privacy & people's truth. Fuck you!!!— Amini Fonua (@AminiFonua) August 11, 2016

Imagine the one space you can feel safe, the one space you're able to be yourself, ruined by a straight person who thinks it's all a joke?— Amini Fonua (@AminiFonua) August 11, 2016
    Advertising

© Copyright 2016 Someecards, Inc.
    Sassiness and Wisher like this.

It's a shitty, horrible thing to do, but if one is so concerned about people finding out, you would think putting a profile on an essentially public site wouldn't be the brightest idea either.

It's so absurd that in 2016 anyone actually gives two shits about who you get your rocks off with.

^but you'd assume anyone on there that can see you is on there for the same reason, and won't creat an entire article about your orientation. They want to have fun like everyone else, how obnoxious to write a whole article on it

I think it's nasty and demeaning.

I think I love Amini Fonua.
    Kittylady, Wisher and Beeyotch like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thread Information