Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your eye colour?

Another greenish eyed girl here. They're brown around the pupil w/a dark blue ring, but mostly green.

*can't believe I just studied my eyeballs for that long, *

Blue eyes here, mum and dad have blue eyes and grandparents too. My pupil has a green ring with gold flecks.

My great grandma and my grandma have icey sky blue eyes, they are so light it's almost creepy. I am glad that I didn't inherit them.

Mums eyes are a cloudy dull blue, dads are light, my eyes are like neither of theirs.
    Last edited by a31cefiro; December 15th, 2008 at 06:10 PM.

My eyes are blue, but sometimes when overtired or sick, they turn green, strange huh. I would not change the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Let It Be View Post
    Natural eye color, ice blue. Very, very light blue.

It sucks. They are always irritated.
    Is there any possibility you could have rosacea? I ask because I have had problems with eye irritation, and it turned out to be mild ocular rosacea.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Is there any possibility you could have rosacea? I ask because I have had problems with eye irritation, and it turned out to be mild ocular rosacea.
    I've been tested for it and no, but thank you for mentioning it.

A random fact for all the light-eyed GRs: light eyes (green, blue,grey, hazel) are more sensitive to light and as such, more susceptible to cataracts. Get in the habit of wearing sunglasses regularly so you don't get cataracts!

I found this interesting bc Im always wearing sunglasses bc it seems so bright out (I have green eyes too). My brother has dark brown eyes and he never wants or needs sunglasses.

SVZ

brown now...they used to be brown with a greenish ring around the pupil a few years ago which were very cool

Quote Originally Posted by swwave View Post
    My eyes are blue, but sometimes when overtired or sick, they turn green, strange huh. I would not change the color.
    Mine do the same thing... mine are brown, but turn green when I am extremely tired, sick, or angry.

I always wanted green or blue/green eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    A random fact for all the light-eyed GRs: light eyes (green, blue,grey, hazel) are more sensitive to light and as such, more susceptible to cataracts. Get in the habit of wearing sunglasses regularly so you don't get cataracts!

I found this interesting bc Im always wearing sunglasses bc it seems so bright out (I have green eyes too). My brother has dark brown eyes and he never wants or needs sunglasses.
    This is true. My youngest daughter has light blue eyes that are so sensitive.... when she was a baby she would scream at the beach. The bright bright sun and it's reflection on the white sand was all too much for her. And it was nearly impossible to keep those sunglasses on her.

Strangely enough, my brown eyes are also super sensitive. Maybe because they're not too dark. I can't stand to go out in the bright sun without my shades.

My eyes seem to change over a period of time. When I was born I had blue eyes, which is quite common, then I had pretty dark eyes. When I was in my early teenage years I had hazel eyes, and according to people they were 'mostly brown'.

They are now green, quite a bright green, and more so when I cry. Though a friend the other day said 'I love your blue eyes' so who knows, maybe I'm on my way back to blue!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Bronze Member GossipJunkieBBFan's Avatar

Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    My eyes seem to change over a period of time. When I was born I had blue eyes, which is quite common, then I had pretty dark eyes. When I was in my early teenage years I had hazel eyes, and according to people they were 'mostly brown'.

They are now green, quite a bright green, and more so when I cry. Though a friend the other day said 'I love your blue eyes' so who knows, maybe I'm on my way back to blue!
    One of my uncles eye color changed too. I remember we had some family
    affair and the subject was eyecolor again (interesting, since we're such
    a mix, there's all kinds of skin and especially eyecolors). He was sitting
    facing the window (and thus the light) and I was with my back to the
    window talking to somebody across from us and using my uncle's eyes as
    an example.
    So, as I'm saying something like "Uncle John's eyes are even lighter green
    than my mom's" I look at him and am totally dumbfounded because his
    eyes are very bright blue!!!! I was like "Huh, uncle John: your eyes used
    to be green, right?" And he, such a guy, said "Nope, always had blue eyes".
    And I felt like I was losing my mind, but then his wife of 40+ years very
    dryly said "No, your eyes were light green. They changed to blue over the
    past year or so". Thank you, dear aunt!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

fgg

according to wiki, mine are amber:

Amber

Human amber eyes displaying the yellow pigments.

Amber eyes are of a solid color and have a strong yellowish/golden and russet/coppery tint. This might be due to the deposition of the yellow pigment called "lipochrome" in the iris (which is also found in green and violet eyes). Amber eyes should not be confused with hazel eyes; although hazel eyes may contain specks of amber or gold, they usually tend to comprise many other colors, including green, brown and orange. Also, hazel eyes may appear to shift in color and consist of flecks and ripples; while amber eyes are of a solid gold hue.

Blue

A Blue eye

Blue eyes contain low amounts of melanin within the iris stroma; longer wavelengths of light tend to be absorbed by the underlying iris pigment epithelium, and shorter wavelengths are reflected and undergo Rayleigh scattering.The type of melanin present is eumelanin. The inheritance pattern followed by blue eyes is considered similar to that of a recessive trait, however it is a polygenic trait (meaning that it is controlled by the interactions of several genes, not just one). Eiberg and colleagues showed in a study published in Human Genetics that a mutation in the 86th intron of the HERC2 gene, which is hypothesized to interact with the OCA2 gene promoter, reduced expression of OCA2 with subsequent reduction in melanin production. The authors concluded that the mutation may have arisen in a single individual in the Near East or around the Black Sea region 6,000-10,000 years ago during the neolithic revolution, perhaps suggesting that all people with pure blue eyes are more closely related. However, blue eyes with brown spots around the pupil are not related to this mutation.

Blue eyes are most common in Northern and Central Europe and to a lesser degree in Southern Europe, they are also found in part of North Africa, West Asia and South Asia. A 2002 study found the prevalence of blue eye color among Caucasians in the United States to be 33.8% for those born from 1936 through 1951 compared with 57.4% for those born from 1899 through 1905.

Brown

Brown human iris

Light brown human iris

Brown eyes are predominant in humans and, in many populations, it is (with few exceptions) the only iris color present. It is less common in countries around the Baltic Sea and in Scandinavia.

In humans, brown eyes contain large amounts of melanin within the iris stroma, which serves to absorb light, particularly at the shorter wavelengths. Brown eyes are the most common eye color, with over half of the world population having them. They are also the most dominant eye color gene. Very dark brown irises may appear at a glance to be black.

Gray

A steel blue-gray eye

Gray eyes have less melanin than blue eyes, even though they are considered a darker shade of blue (like blue-green). They are most common in European Russia, Finland and the Baltic States. Under magnification, gray eyes exhibit small amounts of yellow and brown color in the iris.

Visually, gray eyes often tend to appear to change between the shades of blue, green and gray; this is because gray eyes are extremely light, as mentioned before. The color change for gray eyes is usually influenced by the lighting and the colors in the surroundings (such as clothes, makeup, etc.).

Green

Green eyes

Green eyes are the product of low to moderate amounts of melanin and probably represent the interaction of multiple variants within the OCA2 and in other genes, including perhaps the red-hair gene. Green eyes are most common in Northern and Central Europe. It can sometimes be found in part of West Asia, South Asia and North Africa. A study of Icelandic and Dutch adults found that green eyes are much more prevalent in women than in men. Almost 90% of the population in Iceland has either green or blue eye color.

Among White Americans green eyes are most common among those of Irish , British and German ancestry , about 16%.

Hazel

This eye shows a mixture of brown, green and amber colors.

Some eye colors are too mixed to identify properly, and are identified as hazel for simplicity's sake.

Hazel eyes are due to a combination of a Rayleigh scattering and a more than moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer. Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a light brown to a medium golden-dark green. A number of studies using three-point scales have assigned "hazel" to be the medium-color between the lightest shade of blue and darkest shade of brown. This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown near the pupil and charcoal or amber/dark green on the outer part of the iris (and vice versa) when observed in sunlight. Hazel is commonly found in Europe, some regions of the Middle East, North America, parts of Central Asia and parts of South Asia .

Definitions of the eye color "hazel" vary: it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light-brown and gold. In North America, "hazel" is often used to describe eyes that appear to change color.

Red
    The eyes of a person with albinism may appear red under certain lighting conditions due to the very low quantities of melanin. "True" red eyes also exist in albinistic and even some non-albinistic populations, but are very rare. Only about 20 cases of natural red eyes are recognized throughout the world. Red eyes are caused by the complete lack of pigment in the iris leaving the blood vessels as the only visible part of the iris, or a blood leakage into the iris.

Violet

The appearance of "violet" eyes is thought to occur from the mixing of red and blue reflections. Some albinos have eyes that appear violet. Violet eyes are genetically similar to blue eyes, i.e. they are a reflection, pigment, or variant of blue.

Eye color change

Often, newborns have blue eyes, which change to green, hazel, light brown or dark brown. This is possibly the origin of the idiom "being blue-eyed" (i. e. na´ve; gullible) or having "baby blues", or striking blue eye color.

It is thought that exposure to light after birth triggers the production of melanin in the iris of the eye. By three years of age, the eyes produce and store enough melanin to indicate their natural shade. While changes in eye color of infants are more common, even in adults, eye color changes are seen, most often as a result of exposure to the sun. Sunlight triggers melanin production in the eye, as it does to the skin.

Hazel, lots of gold and green, people think they are brown at first then realize they don't really have a single color. Turn very green when I am sick or anything causes the whites to turn red Gold comes out when I wear brown makeup and black clothes. Kind of fun. When I was a kid they were all brown but watching school pics you can see the gradual change.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information