Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your idea of beauty?

Well, that's the thing. Maybe it IS the area I'm in. I'm very good at conversation, and guys LOVE to talk to me. They think I'm cute and fun to talk to. But then they go for the, you know, the type I'm talking about. The girls who are.....you know, long hair, pretty, trendy clothes. Whatever. I don't know. Blah blah.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

First , let me say that Audrey Tatou is beautiful! I was reading your posts and thinking how there are all sorts of people who are considered beautiful and McJag is right, most is about attitude. But, then i started thinking about what it's like to go out with my friend Karen. Although she is 40, she has long blond hair, huge breast implants and a great figure. Her face? Not ugly but not particulary pretty. Quite plain i would say. I am brunette with small boob and a great figure, although i don't show it off like Karen does ( i prefer to look classy and elegant). I am literally pushed out of the way by men to get to Karen. It's annoying but are those really the types of men i want to date anyway? No.I don't want a man who's ideal beauty is blond and big boobed. I consider myself much prettier than Karen but i am not flashy. Sadly, many of the men who think i am gorgeous are over 60 (i'm a very young 37)!

Oh well, i would much rather be interesting and unique than cookie cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    First , let me say that Audrey Tatou is beautiful! I was reading your posts and thinking how there are all sorts of people who are considered beautiful and McJag is right, most is about attitude. But, then i started thinking about what it's like to go out with my friend Karen. Although she is 40, she has long blond hair, huge breast implants and a great figure. Her face? Not ugly but not particulary pretty. Quite plain i would say. I am brunette with small boob and a great figure, although i don't show it off like Karen does ( i prefer to look classy and elegant). I am literally pushed out of the way by men to get to Karen. It's annoying but are those really the types of men i want to date anyway? No.I don't want a man who's ideal beauty is blond and big boobed. I consider myself much prettier than Karen but i am not flashy. Sadly, many of the men who think i am gorgeous are over 60 (i'm a very young 37)!

Oh well, i would much rather be interesting and unique than cookie cutter.
    Sugar! You don't want the kind of man that goes after her! Trust me!
    One more thing: Let's not go out with her anymore. She attracts the wrong sort.
    Last edited by McJag; April 21st, 2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added thought
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Well, that's the thing. Maybe it IS the area I'm in. I'm very good at conversation, and guys LOVE to talk to me. They think I'm cute and fun to talk to. But then they go for the, you know, the type I'm talking about. The girls who are.....you know, long hair, pretty, trendy clothes. Whatever. I don't know. Blah blah.
    Circulate, mingle. Attend every Event. Look your best-you are petite ,are you dressing to cute-ly? Go more for understated elegance. And lily-I am detecting just a wee negative (for lack of a better word) glint-make sure you radiate positive. Could be talking about this makes you feel down-ish. Perk it up! Think to your self before you walk out that door: I am THE Lily. She is separate from at-home Lily! The Lily! Walk head high and say it 3 times! Don't giggle-it works,Missy ! Now go get 'em.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Really-all you need is to THINK you are beautiful and walk like it. I have seen very plain women(ann curry on NBC comes to mind) that everyone falls over. They just walk it,project it,radiate it! If you start noticing-their hands are always graceful, they are perfectly groomed and smiling as if they know a great secret. They do-they are happy with themselves. Try this: hold your head up.Walk into a room as if you own it. Smile.Make eye contact.Trust me, men will come out from every direction. One more secret: men love good conversation. Stay up to date, listen to the news while you do your make up. Oh yes-be a little self centered. Men love it-the more time you spend on yourself the better. ONE MORE THING: NEVER complain about yourself or point out a flaw. NEVER.
    Very true! Fab post McJag! Definitely do walk into a room like you own it. Some of the most attractive women that I know simply radiate. It has little to do with how big their boobs are, how slender their thighs are or any of that stuff. It's confidence, class, self-assuredness. Insecurities be damned!

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Very true! Fab post McJag! Definitely do walk into a room like you own it. Some of the most attractive women that I know simply radiate. It has little to do with how big their boobs are, how slender their thighs are or any of that stuff. It's confidence, class, self-assuredness. Insecurities be damned!
    Lily! Two Fabulous women have spoken! Just do it!

We might think only certain types are beautiful, but at the end of the day everyone has different tastes. Like here in Australia, where i live, its a beach culture and blondes, both male and female, with blue eyes and tanned skin are considered 'gorgeous'. I dont really look twice at blonde boys- the surfer boy is 'so hot' but i dont feel physically attracted to them at all. I like dark hair and dark eyes. Personally i am still trying to figure out what is so great about blonde hair. But i can tell you right now, not EVERYONE is attracted to it.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Sugar! You don't want the kind of man that goes after her! Trust me!
    One more thing: Let's not go out with her anymore. She attracts the wrong sort.

Haha, yeah, i could NEVER date the guys she does. Such high maintenance. And yeah, i actually don't go out with her that much at all, although we are going to Vegas on Monday for a week so i won't have much choice! But yeah, every woman wants to feel attractive and it's disheartening when the yobbos you encounter are knuckle-dragging neandrethals. Where are the men who want classy women (who are naughty in bed, lol)?

I'm not considered Hot or Beautiful. I think that people really believe chicks like Keibler, and whomever are "beautiful." They're really not. They're not ugly, they're just not....beautiful.
    This reads to me like you are equating "beautiful" with "sexy". Or rather that you are concerned that that's what the men are doing. I don't personally think the two are equivalent, and I don't think most men do either. Do a lot of men find women like Stacy Keibler hot, sexy, eye-catching... of course. Do those same men think she's beautiful? Some likely do, because she fits their idea of what is beautiful, but I doubt it's as universal a descriptor for her as the "hot" label (personally I think she actually does have a "cute" quality and a lovely smile which adds to her beauty; I find her much more attractive than a cold, hard Sharon Stone type, but I can see what you're getting at).

The two - hot and beautiful - really don't mean the same thing to men (though I agree their lines are a lot more blurry than are women's), and I can guarantee you that men can find a whole range of women beautiful. At certain times of the day, at certain points in their lives, in certain moods, are men more susceptible to having their heads turned by a typically "hot" woman? Sure. Typically hot features are eye-catching, and sometimes all men are looking for is a little eye-candy.

But every man I know... well, trust me, once his eye is caught and he is really looking at a woman, he will see what is there to be seen, both on and beneath the surface. Men can and do appreciate cute beauty, exotic beauty, sophisticated beauty, elegant beauty. They might not notice it as blatantly from a distance, - after all, long legs, exposed tanned skin and long blond hair are visually arresting in the literal sense - but believe me, they do see it and appreciate it just as much, if not more.

And every man I know thinks Audrey Tautou is beautiful. Is she "cute", sure. She's still beautiful as well.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Interesting views everyone. I am 29 y.o and I constantly heard throughout my youth that I was not desirable, I was told that I need to lose weight on more than 1 occasion by guys only. Fast forward 10-15 years now I am told that I am Hot or Beautiful by some of the same guys that I knew then(and others that I didn't know). I think it has a lot to do with who is currently "hot" at the moment. Supermodels were the desirable ones back in the 90's and now it is singers such as Beyonce/Shakira/J-lo who men lust after. These women are not fat but curvier, now my curves are more widely accepted.
    As for the facial features discussed, I am a brunette with brown eyes, naturally tanned skin. I have wide set big eyes, a smaller nose, and very full lips. I found that my facial features were always admired by guys/men including the ones who put me down. But I am just thinking now if I am too common?LOL
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

My experience is that men like women in all shapes, sizes and colours. Men who go for the obvious trophy women that have been discussed here aren't men I'd want to spend any time with anyway. The second you have a baby or change in any way, they're onto the next "perfect" woman. I want a man, not some boy who needs a new adoring toy every couple of years.

Silver Member

Honestly, the guys who go nuts falling over themselves as they try to get to the cookie cutter women are the ones you don't want. In my experience, they'll be the guy who gets drunk at the baseball game and embarasses you or gives you a vacant, confused stare if you want a conversation more interesting than what you had for dinner.

I have never been a cookie cutter. I'm very short (4'10") with huge boobs and extremely pale. My body's out of proportion and always has been. A friend once said I'm that hot vampire seductress from the movies who got squashed a little bit. Nice, I know. Or I get the, "oh, you're so short and cute. Let me get that down for you" when I'm in the store and trying to reach something up high. Now I do have big gray eyes which are striking but I'm not a real beauty, but I still got attention from guys by playing up my personality when I wanted to. I'm painfully shy, so it's hard to get to know me. Once guys took the time to know me, they find out that I'm really quite funny and intelligent. Using my personality worked. I've been with my husband for 10 years, since I was 16--and, yes, I dated a fair number of guys before him.

Really-all you need is to THINK you are beautiful and walk like it. I have seen very plain women(ann curry on NBC comes to mind) that everyone falls over. They just walk it,project it,radiate it! If you start noticing-their hands are always graceful, they are perfectly groomed and smiling as if they know a great secret. They do-they are happy with themselves. Try this: hold your head up.Walk into a room as if you own it. Smile.Make eye contact.Trust me, men will come out from every direction. One more secret: men love good conversation. Stay up to date, listen to the news while you do your make up. Oh yes-be a little self centered. Men love it-the more time you spend on yourself the better. ONE MORE THING: NEVER complain about yourself or point out a flaw. NEVER.
    This is such a good post, I'm going to quote it again. It bears repeating not only on every page of the thread, but everyday to ourselves!

There are many lovely blue-eyed blondes, and just as many green-eyed brunettes. Own whatever it is you've got!

And for what it's worth, the women I know who are considered "hot" very rarely stay that way for long. The trouble comes with the hottness dissipates and there's not much left underneath. There isn't much there because they've never had to work on their personality or cultivate their minds.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A good UK example of perceived hotness vs. character was shown last year on Celebrity Big Brother. Danielle Lloyd is a page 3 'babe' who men drooled over and was in the 'top 100 sexy women' polls all the time.
    Thing was, she was a moron, and this came across whilst she was on the program. No character to speak of, but what was there wasn't nice, and as much intelligence as a dishcloth!!

She went on the program to raise her profile, instead it has damaged her career and lost her several contracts.

Sadly I think the kind of guys that go for the 'generic blond & boobs' type women are the kinds that get noticed far more than the nice considerate guys out there that go for more than looks.

Alot of teenage boys with big mouths are to blame too, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I was thinking about how drastically our standard of beauty has changed within the last 50 years.

Every single day I am compared to Audrey Tautou. Who is considered "cute" but not beautiful. Who is considered beautiful (or "HOT" as we say now).....? Women like Stacy Keibler who is absolutely boring. Pretty, yes, but boring.

There used to be room for ALL kinds of women to be considered "hot" or "beautiful." Veronica Lake and Ava Gardner and Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly and Vivien Leigh and Ingrid Bergman....But now, all the women who are considered "beautiful" are, frankly, generically pretty and all look the same.

Girls like me are not considered beautiful. You have to have a tan, have long silky hair and pretty face. Heaven forbid your face has any character, then your looks are demoted to "attractive" or "exotic," which is an insult.

Not that it's bad. I mean, I could be terribly ugly. I'm just thinking. I wish we didn't categorize women so much this way. I think it's awful that we don't have room to accept that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.
    who the fuck said u had to be tanned with long hair to be considered good looking???

"attractive" or "exotic" arent ways of saying your less attractive either.

and yea having a pretty face is a given, if its not atleast pretty its either ugly or average lol.

and beauty IS considered in all shapes and sizes, from tyra banks, to jennifer connolly, to nicole kidman, its all subjective. alot of stupid girls just think they have to be thin with long hair to be considered attractive (the modelling industry has alot to blame for this) but most people know thats not the only requirements for being attractive.

the thing that annoys me the most that yes all women shouldnt look like this but then some of the stunning ones that do fit this stereotype are then considered "boring", wtf is that? thats double standards to the max, you guys complain that people outside this stereotype are apparantly not considered hot but then u say people within this kind of category are "boring" even if they are amazing.

in the end its all down to taste but to call a scarlett johansson or alessandra ambrosio ugly and manly just because its "not your thing" is plain ignorance.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information