Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do when your hair designer....

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    It's complicated when you've gone to the same person for years, and you adore them personally, because then of course, you're not going to complain to the owner, or whatever.
    You know, it reminds me when I went to my hairdresser for almost 6 yrs. Then the last 3 haircuts he was NOT getting it right (regardless of all my pics (including pics of me with the requested hairstyle!)). As someone in a hair product salon suggested to me, sometimes hairdressers get too confident, after hearing the past 6 years "I like it, it's great, thank you, etc..." and at this point, they probably think they can give you a shit cut and you'll still be saying, "thank you". That's why I had to leave him and go elsewhere.
    Go Habs Go!!

i got a bad hair cut just last week actually. I have side bangs that were getting a little too long so i went in for them to be trimmed. i told the lady i wanted it cut at the slit of my eye and even pointed to her twice where i wanted it to be cut. i also told her i wanted it to have the layered/choppy look. she takes the scissors and cuts STRAIGHT ACROSS and my bangs end up being above my eyebrow. it was absolutely horrible. i tried playing with it and trying new styles, but the only thing that works is pinning it to the top of my hair. i didn't complainto the salon, but reading this thread makes me wish i did complain.

^^ My God, if that were me, I would have asked her, "But what part of 'I want it cut at the slit of my eye and pointing twice' did you not understand"?

THAT makes me mad.

Over 16 yrs ago, I wanted a bob and he cut the left side 1" shorter than the right. So I told the manager (I was sobbing) that I didn't ask for an asymmetrical cut. He agreed not to charge me and apologized.
    Go Habs Go!!

I used to have long hair which I'd started highlighting at a good salon. I had a different stylist one day, a less experienced one and she messed up my hair. She must have put too much product in the foils and they made horizontal stripes accross the back of my head. I looked like a zebra.

I complained - I had to. When I came back I had to have two dye jobs to cover it up. I was there for 4 hours. I swore I'd never go there again.

When it was time to get my hair done again - I went to a new hairdresser who said she had to cut it all off to the jaw because it was so damaged after the other salons whoopsie.

The plus side, even though I was horrified at how short it was - everyone loved it.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I read in a magazine somewhere this month that you should always use your hand to show your stylist exactly how short you want your hair cut.

Saying one inch to you may mean three to your stylist.
    Very good advice!!!! and so true! I always repeat back to my client what they ask for and will take a chunk of their hair and SHOW them where I'm going to cut. I also err on the side of a little too long since you can always take off more but you can't stick it back. Pictures are always good to bring since hair is a very visual thing. As long as your hair type is similar (frizzed out curly bomb vs. pin straight superfine)

So it happened to me today. My hair was roughly down to my waist. I told her I would like it to my bra strap. She felt around until she found the spot, looked at me in the mirror and we confirmed. She started cutting.

My hair is now barely below my shoulders - and I really wanted to complain, but the cut is spectacular (and it will grow). But you should have seen my face when I saw the BUSHEL of hair on the floor!! I admit, I cried a little bit in the car, but my hair does look fabulous. It's just going to take a little getting used to.

I'm glad it turned out well, but WHY would she cut so much off???? I just don't understand it.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I'm glad it turned out well, but WHY would she cut so much off???? I just don't understand it.
    I don't know!!!! It's entirely possible I had some unhealthy hair that high up since my previous cut had been in long layers ... and I'm all about taking off the split ends, but you'd think she would have told me about it before starting in.

For awhile I actually thought it must have been a misunderstanding, but after this thread had started a few days ago I went out of my way to give her (what I thought were) very clear instructions.

Bah, hell if I know. My husband is going to be very disappointed though...

That's the thing about hair, though... it grows.

But yeah, if you think your client needs more hair cut off, then SAY something! Don't just start chopping!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

omg I finally went to the hairdresser yesterday and believe it or not they actually did a good job. im not exactly thrilled with my fringe (bangs) because they cut too short but it won't take long for that to grow to a good length. My mullet disaster has been cut off
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Ugh dont remind me! I went for a trim and the stylist cut my fringe way too short and also cut some hair from the sides as short as the fringe. Imagine a Cleopatra style fringe but much shorter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information