Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Want tattoo, got money, what do I need to know?

You'll have a dressing over it to catch the bleeding. I'd say that it would hurt to sleep on it but I'm not sure. My tatoo's on my ankle and any pressure totally killed me for a couple of days afterwards.

P.S Is that peircing anywhere near your mighty huge balls perchance?
    Curiouser and curiouser...

hmm.. that will be interesting, considering it'll be covering most of my shoulder and a little bit of my upper back/upper chest.

p.s. in the general viscinity
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

You rebel you!!

I think you might want to stock up on those painkillers as there's no way you can avoid that big an area when you sleep, and honey, it's going to sting! The closest pain I can compare the actual tatooing to is like a deep cat scratch that lasts for an hour (horrific...)
    Curiouser and curiouser...

hehe i got it with the bf at the time.. we got matching ones LOL

it was a whim

A really deep cat scratch that lasts for an hour.. i can deal with that.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Grimm, when I got mine it was like someone was scratching at me for an hour and a half (not a cat, a person), the feeling was more an irritation than painful. To be honest, you're a bigger guy, the needle isn't going to be dead on the bone so it probably won't be as painful as for other people (which is probably a good portion of why my tat on my spine wasn't that painful at all). Afterwards it feels like a mild sunburn (unless someone is a jackass and smacks you hard on it, that happened to some of my friends, just remember that it's an enormous open surface wound). Keep using the ointment they give you and do not ever peel off the scabbing stuff. Let it fall off on its own when it is ready to. Picking off the scabs can pull out the color while the tattoo is healing. Just leave it alone.

Oh yeah, unless your artist is someone who can talk a lot and work at the same time, bring a friend with. It'll get boring after a bit and you'll want someone to occupy you.

yeah, i know about the scab part and the ointment and bandages etc.. i have a whole fleet of friends who want to go with me to see it get done, theyre very interested.. most of them are inked themselves, it would be nice to have someone hold my hand

Either that or i could listen to the ipod, but im guessing a lot of tattoo artists are relatively chatty.

Um, so how the hell do you shower after you get it done? Whats the deal with that?

It was a few years ago, but I think I remember unscented antibacterial shower gel, rubbing it on there gently, and then using my hand as a cup to move the water from the shower head to my back to rinse it off. I also live in a dorm where you can't change the water pressure and they keep it strong. I was scared it would be forceful enough to rip scabs off just from the pressure.

Some artists are chatty, some aren't. When I had mine done my artist was chatty, but I noticed a couple of the others in the shop didn't talk to their clients at all b/c they were concentrating on the work.

Ok, so you can shower and whatnot after.. just dont scrub and stuff. I was thinking i would have to tape a garbage back around my torso or something, like if i had a cast

Haha, no. The best way to think of it is as an open wound that needs to heal. Don't do anything to it you wouldn't do to regular scab.

Depending on how much you bleed during the tattoo you might be fine later that day to stop wearing the gauze. I didn't even have gauze on mine b/c I wasn't a bad bleeder. My artist taped clear plastic over the area so it wouldn't get infected from touching germy stuff (which was nice b/c I was able to show my friends w/out ripping off the bandage) and he told me I could take it off in a few hours once it was scabbed over. By that night I was plastic covering free.

nice! i hope I can do that, would be nice. How long do tattoos usually take to scab, peel and heal over completely?

Also, i assume sunlight (tans and so forth) will fade the tattoo.. does sunscreen protect the color?

sorry for all the questions, but me likey being informed

It'll be a couple weeks until it's fully healed with no remnants of the scab (and until that point it's a good idea to avoid things like going swimming and baths, my artist said showers only til you heal). Sunscreen is ALWAYS a good idea on a tattoo once you're done with the antibiotic ointment phase, that skin is technically damaged and you really want to protect it as much as possible. My sister has one on her neck and she wears 50SPF on it b/c it's already fading due to the fact it got infected (remember that warning about getting smacked on a tattoo? someone did that to her with a gross pillow the night she got that one done).

ewwww, her arm got infected? nasty!

makes me wonder wtf they did before antibiotic creams

I'd definitely ask around. Check out tattoo mags, bmezine online etc.. be prepared even to travel out of your area to get the best possible artist. Go into tattoo shops, ask to see artist's portfolios. If they don't have any, bad sign, I think. Look at their work as if you were scrutinizing a piece of art, think painting or drawing, look for how they shade, their lines, is their depth or is it all flat?

Then Obviously a tattooist that meets association standards or whatnot for hygiene.

Ask who specializes in custom designs, since you have your own design or definite ideas. A good artist will work with you on the design, taking into account placement, your body, it's curves, shape etc. As opposed to photocopying your design, stenciling it out and tracing it directly onto you. Ask about things such as what happens if you need a touch-up, or if the colour doesn't take... can you come back and will the artist touch it up for free? See how much pride they take in their work..if they think of it as creating some art on you, or just doing a quick piece of work to get you in and out of the chair.

In my experience [ in being tattooed quite a few times and in multiple countries] a good tattooist is one who will meet with you before hand, discuss the design, answer all of your questions and concerns professionally and then set up an appointment. Some of the better tattooist I have found can have quite the wait, as people from all over will travel to them for their ink work. I'm a bit sketchy personally about shops where you can walk in and have a few hours work done on the spot.

Also, in my experience, you get what you pay for a cheap artist might sound appealing --- but if he or she rushes you in and out.. not good.

Another thing - it's going to itch. Like CRAZY.
    The healing process is actually more physically uncomfortable than the tattooing process. It itches, it (sometimes) stings a LOT, and since you're getting it somewhere that it has to be covered by clothing for a good portion of the day, it's going to be even more irritating. And the ointment sticking to your clothes feels yucky. Plus, like NoDay said, you can't let the shower stream hit it directly. It's pretty annoying, but once it heals (mine were anywhere from 1-4 weeks for all the scabbing to go away) it's so very worth it

Hmm.. sticky goo on clothing. How Monica Lewinsky.

Im kind of jazzed now.. i just hope i can design something i'll be satisfied with, cuz im a bit of a perfectionist/revisionist.. never satisfied..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information