Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are US women better-groomed than the Brits?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Well yeah, but what if the parents can't afford braces? They cost about $4,000.

I take my kids to the dentist, but I just don't have that kind of dough. Thank goodness they already have straight teeth.
    True Sweetness. I've got dental insurance and each time I go to the dentist I have to pay first and then get reimbursed by insurance. So, if a crown costs a thousand bux give or take, or root canal, what happens if you don't have that sort of money, or don't have any credit? Let alone have one kid, or multiple kids need braces?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

..... I've got 3 kids and their dad's in jail, so no child support. And my credit sucks.

I like really nice teeth. They don't have to be perfect...but if your teeth are all jacked up in your mouth then they have to look white and clean. If the teeth are perfect looking, shaped/straight or veneers, they should be at least a natural color and not a blinding white. Having both super straight perfect teeth plus the blinding white is just too fake looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Wonky teeth bug the shit out of me.. lots of brits have perfectly healthy teeth, but they're just stcking out in weird directions.

Get some fucking braces! Straighten that shit out!
    You crack me up!!!

You've got me thinking about that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa needs to wear a brace. The dentist is pushing Homer & Marge to take out the expensive dental plan and fancy braces. So he shows Lisa the Book of British Smiles to scare the crap out of her

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoog View Post
    You crack me up!!!

You've got me thinking about that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa needs to wear a brace. The dentist is pushing Homer & Marge to take out the expensive dental plan and fancy braces. So he shows Lisa the Book of British Smiles to scare the crap out of her
    DentalPlan!
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I find people in California are much more casual than people on the east coast. They are obsessed with the fake tan, perfect teeth, perfect nails and anything trendy. They will go out, and I see this quite often, in flannel pajamas and Ugg Boots. On the east coast, I think people have better style. Nice clothes, expensive and classic pieces of jewelry, etc. Not too crazy about the fake and bake or the bluish/white teeth

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    DentalPlan!
    Lisa needs braces!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    I think in general, Americans strive to be perfect. Living a perfect life in a perfect home with a perfect body.So they go over the top in grooming department to look just right. In cities not only do they want to look perfect but be hip too. The British seem to have a more laid back and traditional style. I wouldn't describe it as being badly groomed.
    I agree. Americans like to project a certain image to show the world they have 'made it' and are successful, affluent and living the American Dream. So looking perfect fits with that image. Brits, on the other hand, actively shy away from 'bragging' about their status, wealth and class (except those who don't have any) so you often find super-wealthy Brits dressing like derros, driving beaten up old cars and almost deliberately playing down their wealth. I'm sure a lot of Brits don't get their teeth fixed because of this weird Puritanical hangup about 'unnecessary expense' that's still very common in the UK. I know many Americans who don't think twice about telling people how much they earn, how much their house cost, how much they spend on holidays, cars, boats, etc but that kind of thing makes most Brits cringe. Not saying one is better/worse than the other - it's another example of how the two cultures differ.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I agree. Americans like to project a certain image to show the world they have 'made it' and are successful, affluent and living the American Dream. So looking perfect fits with that image. Brits, on the other hand, actively shy away from 'bragging' about their status, wealth and class (except those who don't have any) so you often find super-wealthy Brits dressing like derros, driving beaten up old cars and almost deliberately playing down their wealth. I'm sure a lot of Brits don't get their teeth fixed because of this weird Puritanical hangup about 'unnecessary expense' that's still very common in the UK. I know many Americans who don't think twice about telling people how much they earn, how much their house cost, how much they spend on holidays, cars, boats, etc but that kind of thing makes most Brits cringe. Not saying one is better/worse than the other - it's another example of how the two cultures differ.
    There IS a lot of truth in what you say

I want my teeth whitened and am already thinking how I can justify it to myself. The cost isn't an issue (it's not THAT expensive anyway), it's just that it seems so frivolous. I probably waste money on all sorts of other shit if only I tracked it all. It's a weird hang-up, I suppose. You've inspired me though 'cos I really want to do it!!!!

That is so true what you say about the wealthy. The real aristos are often kind of rakish, scatty and too preoccupied-with-God-knows-what to worry about their appearance (old money). The wealthy (new money - TV stars, etc) go all-out to impress and spend their way out of their old way of life.

^^ Hey Moog, if you're super thrifty and/or on a strict budget (like me ) and want nice white teeth you can brush with baking soda (just don't do it every single time or too often because it can scrape the enamel off) and rinse with hydrogen peroxide-- just be sure not to swallow any and rinse really well. It kills the germs and keeps the breath nice and fresh too.

(You probably know all this stuff though with your nursing experience and all.)

Hit By Ban Bus!

I see some generalizations about Americans in this thread. It depends upon the geographical area. As an L.A./California escapee, I am very comfortable living in Portland where pretty much anything goes. People are very individualistic here. You can dress up or down and no one will look twice. It's very casual, and because the weather is cold people cover up in big sweaters and boots - I love that. Always will love that, not having been able to do it while growing up. It's true though that each city has a section where airs are put on, but generally speaking the Pacific NW is very laid back about appearances.

And actually, San Francisco, Berkeley and pretty much all of Northern California are like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    ^^ Hey Moog, if you're super thrifty and/or on a strict budget (like me ) and want nice white teeth you can brush with baking soda (just don't do it every single time or too often because it can scrape the enamel off) and rinse with hydrogen peroxide-- just be sure not to swallow any and rinse really well. It kills the germs and keeps the breath nice and fresh too.

(You probably know all this stuff though with your nursing experience and all.)
    Thanks for the tip, Sweetness
    Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid - Francis Bacon

I love being trendy, but i feel that any wrong combonation, it's easy to be critized where I live.

You can't be dressed like a hobo, even going into just a gas station. Or even hippy because police or somebody will have their eye out on you, as if your on drugs.

I like nice teeth too, but I am way suspect of the bleaching and the damage it probably does to the enamel. Baking soda is the tried and true way to go. My brother brushes with it every single day.

But if my teeth were just incredibly discolored and I'd exhausted natural means like baking soda (or others) to no avail, I'd definitely have to consider bleaching. Nothing makes my skin crawl more than teeth that look like ass!

That being said, I think people do take the bleaching a little far. It's a tad ridiculous to see a 35 year old with such blindingly white teeth that you wouldn't even see on a child. I've never checked, but surely there are ways to whiten one's teeth a little bit (or gradually) to a shade that's not too ridiculous-looking. When I got porcelain crowns on some of my back teeth (the ones that were once crappy with fillings) they used a shade chart to match the color to the rest of my teeth.

Oh...And nothing drives me more nuts than veneers on people who don't need them!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I've never checked, but surely there are ways to whiten one's teeth a little bit (or gradually) to a shade that's not too ridiculous-looking.
    Gargling with peroxide definitely helps.... just don't swallow.

I agree that the blinding white teeth look is ridiculous.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information