Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are US women better-groomed than the Brits?

A*O

It's all about money. If women can afford to look good then they will take care of themselves and their appearance and that applies both sides of the Atlantic. Poor people don't have that option and it shows.

I used to think the perception about Bad British Teeth was wrong but I have to admit that now I live in the land of Perfect Dentistry (and hot dentists) I do notice how bad a lot of Brits' teeth are - even those who could afford to have them fixed.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Well, I don't think it's right to say that Brits aren't as well groomed as Americans. I'm sure it depends on the areas of each place.

Just like it annoys me to hear people say how Americans are ALL fat when I see pictures of fatties all over the damn world....
    it's not just us!!

Blanket statements pretty much suck. They are almost always meant to be hurtful.
    Such a nice post

Bad teeth? I don't think so

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I see loads of British women who are wearing clothes that are too low cut or too tight for their body type or their age, mutton dressed as lamb is the expression at times, I believe. WAAAY too many older women in short skirts with low cut tops.

I can only speak for myself and I grew up and live in the South, but the women I grew up around seem to take more care with their daily appearance than the British women I have come into contact with. The American women seem to either know more about how to put makeup on well or learning how to is more important here than there. Of course, my mom was a stylist and I am a self-proclaimed fuss pot about my hair and makeup so.... One of Lord Brit's bitchy fem friends made the comment after visiting here that women in the States seem to be "perfect" or put more effort into their appearance. She didn't mean physically perfect, but she meant good hair and good makeup, etc. Of course, she is a train wreck and walked around Memphis the way I walk around my house when I am not going to see a single soul. lol

i definately think american women are more high maintenance and care a lot about grooming habits....then again ive never seen how well groomed the British are so i have no fair comparison.

I somewhat disagree that it has to do with money...plenty of well off women are grubby looking housewives that just dont care about their apperance because they "have kids now". Some people just don't care about looks regardless of how much money they have, they'd rather spend it on other things.

It all depends on where you are in said country. When I lived in Downtown Dallas? Yes, the women in the upperclass were VERY well put together. Outside of Dallas? White trash city.

When I lived in Amiens, it was similar, though people bathed less. Paris, however, anyone middle class and above seemed to bathe regularly (may have just been that it was an unusually temperate year, tho, lol

When I lived in New Zealand, in Auckland the women were VERY materialistic and all wanted to be just like the girls on Sex and the City. In the suburbs of Pakuranga? Not so much. And The Maori areas were terrible

Anyone who comes to the US and expects NYC to be a representation of the women of america is sorely deluded, just like expecting the major cities in other countries to represent THEIR populace is equally silly.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

In general, and I repeat general, having lived in both the U.S. and the U.K., American women are more obsessed with nails and blindingly white teeth than their Brit counterparts. Other than that, it boils down to personal preference, economic status, and region. Here on the west coast women are a lot more causal than in Montreal. Being "dressed up" often means putting on a clean pair of sweats and brushing your hair. In Montreal, a lot of women are perfectly made up and coiffed just to go to the grocery store.

I tend to like looking my best, and I like dressing up, but 10 years plus on the west coast means I don't always meet my former high standards. But I never leave the house without being clean, presentable and wearing at least enough makeup not to scare little children, hehe.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; October 16th, 2007 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Anyone who comes to the US and expects NYC to be a representation of the women of america is sorely deluded, just like expecting the major cities in other countries to represent THEIR populace is equally silly.
    Exactly. Just like anywhere else, there are the well groomed and there are slobs and plenty in between.

By the way, is this all just some more made up crap to make folks want to hate us Americans even more?

...... and how on earth can we all look so 'well put together' if 98.9% of us are fat?

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Here on the west coast women are a lot more causal than in Montreal. Being "dressed up" often means putting on a clean pair of sweats and brushing your hair. In Montreal, a lot of women are perfectly made up and coiffed just to go to the grocery store.

I tend to like to look my best, and I like dressing up, but 10 years plus on the west coast means I don't always meet my former high standards. But I never leave the house without being clean, presentable and wearing at least enough makeup not to scare little children, hehe.
    I noticed the further East you go, the dressier people are. Walking around the streets of Toronto, most women are smartly dressed, Quebec they are drop dead gorgeous. Here in Vancouver? Eek. I must admit i have no qualms going out without any makeup if i am just around the neighbourhood or running errands. The wardrobe and lifestyle here is extremely casual.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I have not been there, but especially Southern US girls are groomed from birth to be-well-groomed. It is superficial,I guess. We spend time and money on (as Mother says) being well put together.Doesn't matter what your budget is-there are plenty of improvements for free-just takes time.
    I picture our English Rose people here-like Honey & Novice,Moog-to have superior dewy skin,more flawless than not and lovely shiny hair from the climate and being outdoors. Our English people are great natural beauties, of that I am sure.

I had a roomate from Dallas while in college, she would primp and prepare for bed. She did her hair, face (yep) and she would spray her sheets with perfume.

After a few years in NYC she mellowed out and I am proud to say she stopped wearing makeup to bed and would actually leave the apt without makeup.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I live near a high school-Those teen aged girls look great! I know they cannot have money-neither did I in high school. You can do a lot with little-2nd hand,trading clothes,K-MART-on & on. No one has more interest than a teen aged girl-they always find a way!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Aww McJag, you're too kind! Dewy skin and shiny hair AND of course smooth elbows

Lil

It is definitely true that Brits are more accepting of a little quirkiness of teeth, and less inclined to go for the shiny white denture look than Americans are. I'd also make the distinction between ugly teeth and unhealthy teeth - I have a colleague who has very wonky but perfectly healthy teeth, and he can't see why anyone would want to get them straightened and whitened when there's really nothing wrong with them, whereas I'd do it in a heartbeat. However I think it's a myth that Americans all have good teeth. I remember the pictures of the people left homeless after Katrina, and none of them seemed to have any teeth at all.

Otherwise, I think it's pretty much the same everywhere. If you go to a smart bar in a large city you will meet the beautiful people, if you go to a rough area you will see a lot of Burberry.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

A*O

If you think all Americans have perfect teeth watch any random Jerry Springer show. Yeee haw.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

This is a very interesting discussion.

Location within a country, as some of you have mentioned, makes a big difference.

I've noticed since living in the sticks that I dress more casually. I don't even like this, it's just that I don't want to stand out and feel over-dressed. I should make more effort though and find a middle road. I'm not in the city any more but I don't like to be completely casual and go around in sweats either.

Buttmunch: would be interesting to see what you think, as you've just moved over here
    Last edited by TheMoog; October 17th, 2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: calling buttmunch!

Wonky teeth bug the shit out of me.. lots of brits have perfectly healthy teeth, but they're just stcking out in weird directions.

Get some fucking braces! Straighten that shit out!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information