Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning black hair blonde

It's out of question that you have to go to a salon. But that was so basic that it was implied.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Going from black to blonde - especially platinum - requires several stages - done only in a salon. That is a given. Unless you want to end up shaving or cutting to 1 inch long.

My former aesthetician tried to go from black to blonde. She almost got there, but changed her mind. It took 4-5 stages before she finally stopped - her hair was extremely short, too.

Too expensive, not worth it. If my kid wanted a job like that, she or he would have to get a job and spend their own money on that because there's no guarantee it will turn out well. Anyway, it's rather frivolous IMO and I might strongly advise my kid not to spend their $$ that way. You have to know that you're going to look good that way, and also able financially to keep it up properly.

This is going to fry your hair. If you wear it short it shouldn't be a problem though since you'll be getting regular trims and shape-ups. The colorist may not be able to get your color lighter than a strawberry blonde.

If your hair is long, I would strongly advise against this. Unless you don't mind possibly having to shave it all off.....
    This has happened to me before. It felt damn good to start all over though.

Whatever you do I wish you the best of luck!

if its done right, ur hair will be totally fine. go with someone u trust

Hit By Ban Bus!

^yeah. The point is though, "done right" is going to cost an arm and a leg to do initially, and a hefty sum to keep up properly.

Oh this reminds me of the time i wanted dark brown hair but it turned black with a permanent at home dye job. I was 16. I cried for a whole weekend. I was really pale at the time and at my school you copped some serious shit if you looked goth so all i could think about was that and the fact i couldn't look at myself in the mirror. My mum couldn't help me either; she kept saying 'you have to wait til it grows out now'. I bought another rinse and it didn't make the slightest difference.

The only option was a hairdresser but mum wasnt going to let me go and get it bleached because it wrecks the hair.

8 weeks later it had gone lighter. Thankfully by week 2 i had stopped stressing and obsessing.

Hit By Ban Bus!

OK spill StayYoung, did you catch shit at school? Since you didn't mention it, maybe not.

That happened to me, I tried to go really blonde and it turned out horrible... I had to have a professional dye job back to brown. Then I got a "fall" which was very new and popular at the time. It was shoulder length and went into a flip. I think the only reason my mom paid to do all that is because she didn't want to be embarrassed by my hair... she was notoriously cheap (her word: frugal) so it was a major deal.

SVZ

I remember when I had red streaks put in my hair.

I even stood under lights so they glowed...how big of a mistake they were lol

In the begining of highschool I was only getting my hair highlighted. My mom's only stipulation was that I always go professional to avoid damage. At the time, bc my hair was more of its natural color and brunette, I was using Yasmine Bleeth's (circa baywatch) http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e_bleeth_4.jpghttp://boozers.fortunecity.com/elephant/201/yb031.jpg, Carmen Electra's http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...ra-Posters.jpg http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpap..._electra_8.jpg, and Tiffany Amber Theissan's http://www.themediadrome.com/Images/...r_thiessen.gif hair colors/styles as inspiration. This is a good route to go on the way to going lighter

for me, i noticed the more highlights we added the more I liked the look. Ultimately I went blonde. This was closer to the end of highschool jr/sr year.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post
    Oh this reminds me of the time i wanted dark brown hair but it turned black with a permanent at home dye job. I was 16. I cried for a whole weekend. I was really pale at the time and at my school you copped some serious shit if you looked goth so all i could think about was that and the fact i couldn't look at myself in the mirror. My mum couldn't help me either; she kept saying 'you have to wait til it grows out now'. I bought another rinse and it didn't make the slightest difference.

The only option was a hairdresser but mum wasnt going to let me go and get it bleached because it wrecks the hair.

8 weeks later it had gone lighter. Thankfully by week 2 i had stopped stressing and obsessing.
    omg StayYoung! the same exact thing happened to my dumbass too!!! I had no idea how black black really is until it was too late and I looked like a sickly corpse b/c im so pale! I heard one girl in the lunchroomm actually say out loud, "that looks like shit" referring to me it was so sad, ooooooooohhh painful memories!!!!!!!!!!!! i think natural is best for me now

Please get it done at a salon. My niece had dyed her hair black for a year or so, being naturally dark strawberry blonde. Her dad ended up paying a couple of hundred quid to get the colour stripped from her hair and recoloured. Her hair is ok now, but it took a bit of time to have it looking as healthy as it should. I LOVE being blonde - I have tried other colours over the years, I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of months as a red head (my husband loved it!), but I am always happiest when I am blonde.
    Stella Galaxy ... 16 hands of irish trouble

Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to stay natural\black haired for now. I try to make it grow and if I dye it blonde, then I can kiss my pretty hair goodbye.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

cool, yeah, ill prob never be blonde again myself, but blonde kinda washes out faces and ages certain ppl. dont feel too bad or anything, someday there'll be a new technology that wont be so damaging

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to stay natural\black haired for now. I try to make it grow and if I dye it blonde, then I can kiss my pretty hair goodbye.

YAY!!!!

Embrace that raven haired sexiness!

He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information