Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 things that make you look older (maybe)

I live in North Face fleece during the fall and winter. I love it. I wear it because it's warm and it lasts.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If you have long, thick, well cut/coloured hair in GREAT condition then you might just get away with it but otherwise it adds 10 years. Sorry. It doesn't have to be short and granny permed either but be realistic.
    I have long thick well cut hair in great condition, with no color in it & no gray. I am not ashamed to say that I love my natural hair color. I'll be very sad when the day comes that I have to color it. I guess I'm pulling it off because people always act shocked when they hear my age. Still, I'm a tad paranoid, which is why I hang out in threads like this.

My ex SIL always wore her hair long and in the same style she wore it in the early 80's. Still does, and it's all gray and wiry. Granted, she did spend several years as a crack whore and that does age a girl, but at least my hair doesn't look like it did in high school.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I have long thick well cut hair in great condition, with no color in it & no gray. I am not ashamed to say that I love my natural hair color. I'll be very sad when the day comes that I have to color it. I guess I'm pulling it off because people always act shocked when they hear my age. Still, I'm a tad paranoid, which is why I hang out in threads like this.
    This! I've looked after my hair by NOT colouring it for years, which is why it's in such great condition, and I want to preserve my natural colour as long as possible. Whenever I'm in the bathroom at work looking for grey hairs the other women laugh and say "when you hit 35 you'll know what grey hair really is" which is funny seeing as I'm about 10 years older than them.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Grey hair is largely a matter of luck and genetics IMO. I'm well north of 40 now and don't have any greys yet. I suspect I will wake up one morning and it will have changed overnight. However, I do keep my hair much shorter these days and God it's SOOOOOOOOOO much easier to look after and style.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

At least none of us are wearing jean skirts.
    I am! I have a dark jean pencil skirt from Banana Republic, it hits right at the knee and it's very versatile. I'm not giving it up! I can wear it with a cute top and sandals in the summer and a sweater, tights and boots in the winter.

And my hair is past shoulder length but in great condition. I don't color it, and have some greys, but with my hair color it looks highlighted (unless you get close). My hair is kind of light brownish auburn.

IMO one thing that ages people the most is their teeth. My MIL is in her late 60's, and has very youthful skin, and her hair is short and blonde. Sometimes she makes the mistake of trying to go too blonde, which washes her out because she's fair, but when she does a dark blonde she looks great. Except for her teeth. They are very dark and stained and she won't do anything about them. She almost always has this closed or half open mouth smile in photos, so I know she feels self-conscious, but she would look 55 if it wasn't for her teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I have to agree. I'm always saying that these celebs should chop their hair when it's really long, and it's usually because it starts looking stringy. Unless hair is thick and well cut, it doesn't look great just because it's long.
    If you have long, thick, well cut/coloured hair in GREAT condition then you might just get away with it but otherwise it adds 10 years. Sorry. It doesn't have to be short and granny permed either but be realistic.
    i'm with witch, the hair thing has to be decided on a case by case basis. and i don't think it's just a matter of age, i think that at any age, you need great hair to be able to wear it super long. i'm not talking just past the shoulders, i mean really long hair. it has to be thick, shiny and healthy. and flatter your face shape. a lot of women seem to think really long hair = pretty hair, and it's simply not true. i see chicks with thin, limp, stringy super long hair and they refuse to cut it because it's like their hair defines their femininity or something ridiculous like that, and they refuse to see how much better they'd look with a haircut.

p.s. lobes, i've seen your pictures and you've got nice hair.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My hair is long, too. Like down to the middle of my back long. I suppose I should cut it but it's been like this about a year and I like it. I'm an old lady with long hair wearing a cardigan.
    See, and I'm just below the shoulder/mid back area. I keep my hair cut, I don't have to color it - I will do highlights on occasion. Its healthy hair with like zero maintenance (wash and go).
    ohhh that's me! long, thick, naturally blond, plenty of body... I'm under 40 for now though. it may change.
    Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I think past the shoulders over 45 is the time to let it go.
    *gives the stink eye to the year 2018*

My ex SIL always wore her hair long and in the same style she wore it in the early 80's. Still does, and it's all gray and wiry. Granted, she did spend several years as a crack whore and that does age a girl, but at least my hair doesn't look like it did in high school.
    You look great, you have great hair and wear it well. There are days that I hate my hair and think about chopping it off but inevitably, if I mention it, people around me absolutely shit. I went out with friends last weekend and 3 people sat there and just played with my hair. Its strange that other people have such vested interests in my hair. Apparently, its what you call "catch me, fuck me" hair. I knew about "catch me, fuck me" shoes but I didn't know about the hair. And now that I think about it, all my facebook pictures are with my hair straightened or put up.. hmm maybe I'll update soon.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Thanks Mel & Sput. Mel, I like your hair best long & straight. I think long hair suits you and it's definitely thick & pretty.

As for styling long hair, honestly the longer my hair is, the easier it is.

When I look at pictures of my hair in the 80s & 90s, I'm like OMFG, why didn't somebody TELL me I looked ridiculous??? I'll probably do the same 10 years from now.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I've just cut all my hair off (from mid back to chin). I'm not old and my hair wasn't scraggy but long hair just wasn't doing anything for my face shape. I feel so much fresher with short hair but yeah it all depends on the person.. case by case. I envy all you glossy haired bitches!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Glossy hair hint = cod liver oil (preferably in capsules so you can't taste it!)
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I was wondering if you could clarify that a little further:

Is there a particular age (range) where having long hair will age you?

And what would the hair length be?

I've seen both men and women with long, poorly maintained hair that made things seem worse. But to me it seemed more like the fact that the hair looked kind of ratty that caused them to look age and not necessarily the length.
    It starts getting too long and unhealthy looking. Also I agree with everyone when they say if you hair is thick and healthy with a great cut, you can still have long hair. If you can look at your hair and think it needs some chopping, then yeppers it's time. I had my hair to middle of my back until I was 40 and looked at it and it just looked like crap! So I had it cut to shoulder length with a really good style and it took YEARS off my face! I couldn't believe it. I had a young guy thinking I was 25! So I know a great cut can make all the difference. Did this help?

Color too. Coloring be it high/low lights can help so very much.

I think a lot of short hair/long hair decisions should be based on your bone structure. I have read where faces that are round or heart shaped age more gracefully, but even so that can vary greatly case by case.
    The greatest sin I see is the "peeled grape" look, where the hair is just flatly pulled back. Not the slightest softness around the face and every minor face flaw is highlighted.
    You can pull off denim skirts, cardigans,whatever if you have cute hair and for Pete's sake stand up straight. Above all, smile!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My hair gets trimmed across the bottom and that's all. I've never coloured, permed or messed with it in any other way and won't be going short (or even shoulder length) any time soon. I don't see it as holding on to my femininity especially, I'm simply being me. I've never been into fashion anyway and always dressed in my own semi-goth/rocker/biker style since I was about 20, picking current pieces that I can convert to match my personal preference and leaving all the rest. I wear black, black and black, love my eyeliner and don't give a fuck whether anyone else likes it because I do. I've been madeover by friends in the past and even they admitted that I looked like shit afterwards simply because I was so uncomfortable with the new look and it showed.

Wear what you want, style your hair how you want, just be happy with the end result and you'll be fine.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I'd suggest cardigans, cords, those oversized black glasses & cheating husbands make you look old(er). Oh, and of course, wearing a monkey on your head.

Birthday girl: Demi posted a picture of herself on Twitter just a few hours before she turned 49
    Free Charmed.

^I effin HATE those glasses. I saw them on Forever 21's models on their webpage, and it's a horrible for fashion. Yeah people in the late 80's early 90's wore them, but not to look cool. Stupid stupid!
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information