Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toners

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by oltifreakinbaby View Post
    Does anybody have some good suggestions for a toner?

I use the Nivea Moisturizing Toner right now, but all it says it does it "refresh your skin". So I'm also using the Aveeno foaming face wash with toner in it, but idk how well it's working.

I need something new that also works well.
    Thank you for the thread! Have been wondering the same question for a long time! Definitely *NEVER* use Sea Breeze--horrible stuff (especially if you have roseacea).

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    ^^ yeah, and thats why I used rose water
    Thank you for your answers Novice and witchcurlgirl, I'm going to try the rose water for sure but I'll have to wait on Clinique T Zone Shine Minimizer, MAC Blot Powder and Shiseido Oil Blotting Papers (broke) - thanks again!
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

i have normal to oily skin. i don't use anything for it other than blotting papers but my skin is still shiny. no acne luckily but especially once the weather gets hot i have to always have blotting papers with me or my nose and forehead can look quite shiny.
    it's true harsh cleansers and toners can actually make it worse and overstimulate sebum production but i think there's not much you can do about the type of skin you have, oily or dry.
    the one advantage of oily skin is i've heard it ages better than dry skin - i guess all that oil keeps it from wrinkling as much. let's hope that's true.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i have normal to oily skin. i don't use anything for it other than blotting papers but my skin is still shiny. no acne luckily but especially once the weather gets hot i have to always have blotting papers with me or my nose and forehead can look quite shiny.
    it's true harsh cleansers and toners can actually make it worse and overstimulate sebum production but i think there's not much you can do about the type of skin you have, oily or dry.
    the one advantage of oily skin is i've heard it ages better than dry skin - i guess all that oil keeps it from wrinkling as much. let's hope that's true.
    I'd agree - I have to be really careful of using powder & things like pearlesent eyeshadows....
    Free Charmed.

Novice, I just bought the Olay toner with witchhazel in it today. Haven't used it yet, but I'll update with the results.

And yes, I have oily skin. It's not too bad if I can control it, but it's not so great when it comes to makeup. I have to check it every few hours. Hopefully it works out for me in the long run.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I'm remain a fan of diluted apple cider vinegar as a toner.
    I agree with Qwerty. You can make a nice ACV toner with this cheap combo:
    100ml Apple Cider Vinegar, 100ml Water and 4 Aspirin - this lasts about 2/3 months. The ACV balances your skin's ph and the aspirin, I believe, is considered mainly an anti-inflammatory in this respect.

Pleiades, I would think the aspirin would be very drying. Perhaps it's diluted enough so that it wouldn't be an issue. I think I'll try it! If it's a no go, it's not like $$$ is down the drain.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Pleiades, I would think the aspirin would be very drying. Perhaps it's diluted enough so that it wouldn't be an issue. I think I'll try it! If it's a no go, it's not like $$$ is down the drain.
    Yep, I think you're right about it's potential to be drying. I have very oily skin so probably haven't noticed as much of a difference. But do give it a try (hell, Dollar Store bottle of aspirin-if it's not a good mix for ya you could make a pasty weekly face mask).

I also use apple cider vinegar, specifically Bragg's with Mother strain. I mix it 2 parts water to one part vinegar. I follow that with tea tree oil, which acts as an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.

I'm not sure what skin type I am - I get very shiny very quickly, but also get really dry if I neglect my skin for more than a day or two. I'm about to turn 40, so I have that delightful I-have-wrinkles-and-am-acne-prone-both thing going on. However, since I started doing the apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil regimen, my complexion has really calmed down.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information