Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinning Hair? Stop Using Shampoo

^^ Thanks for the tip, Sweetness! I did what you said and I noticed less shedding. Yay!

another way is to not wash your hair everyday. I color (professionally) and heat style my hair so i can't wash it everyday. I do a great blowout and style and it will usually last me 3 days. Don't get me wrong- i still shower twice a day, i just dont wash my hair or even get it wet ( I wrap a towel around it turban style while i shower). I get compliments on my hair all the time and people are suprised when i tell them its second or 3rd day hair. Washing your hair daily is never recommended by any professional in the hair industry and there are many reasons- you risk fading your color faster, damage your hair more b/c you are styling more often and you dont let your natural oils nourish your hair.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ yep, exactly! PPL wash their hair entirely way too much! I can go 4 days w/ a ragin' 'do and be just fine

(i am part french afterall )

p.s. the biosilk brand is good b/c it has all natural ingrediants including sage! and all kinds of oils, add some apple cider vinegar to the mix and your hair w/ start to regrow better i swear! I've been losing less and less hairs each time i shower and im so happy! I can even run my fingers through my hair and only come out w/ 1 or none!!!

See, since i buzz my head my scalp gets damn greasy in the summer, and damn flakey in the winter..

I fidn that if i dont shampoo every day it slimey and dry, respectively. I have to use head & shoulders too, it seems to be the only thing that works
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I wash my hair everyday b/c its oily... hear that baby powder works. Never tried that, though

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah baby powder does work, expecially for blondes

Biotin is great for hair and nails and you can get it way cheaper than those "vitamins" made for hair that you see in the stores. I took that and my hair was growing faster and it looked a lot better.

Then I started taking prenatal vitamins before I got pregnant and my hair look great too, it was growing like crazy and people were asking me what I was taking! Just thought I would share!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ^ yep, exactly! PPL wash their hair entirely way too much! I can go 4 days w/ a ragin' 'do and be just fine

(i am part french afterall )

p.s. the biosilk brand is good b/c it has all natural ingrediants including sage! and all kinds of oils, add some apple cider vinegar to the mix and your hair w/ start to regrow better i swear! I've been losing less and less hairs each time i shower and im so happy! I can even run my fingers through my hair and only come out w/ 1 or none!!!
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    A trichologist (sp?) on the radio today said that if you suffer from thinning hair then try washing it with water ONLY for a few weeks. Many people notice a big improvement by not using soaps or detergents, ie, shampoo. Apparently a lot of the 'miracle' hairloss products are actually just water-based formulas that smell nice and contain no actual soap/detergent.

I've always had a small, thin patch at the front of my head which I can disguise with the right hairstyle, but I'm going to try this and see what happens.
    Yes, it's true but I don't know if it works. Bilba makes a specific oil you can use if you have this "problem". You just wash your hair with water and you gently have to massage your skin with your fingers. It's doesn't make any bubble, just smells good.

I personally don't find my hair is clean after that, si I gave up using it, but maybe it works. I'll never know.

My hairdresser told me to dilute my shampoo with water in another bottle. I have to have 50% shampoo and 50% water so that when you wash your hair you don't have the shampoo "cream" in your hands but you have lots of water with little product.

But this is probably old news to most of girls. Anyway I find this is a good technique and it also allows you to save money because the shampoo bottle lasts longer.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

If you have your hair colored and styled a certain you really don't need to wash it a lot.

I have a friend who is a hair stylist that washes hers only 1-2 week. Find someone like that, who has professional experience and the hair ALWAYS looks clean.

Okay, so after reading this post I tried to see how long I could go without washing my hair. After 4 days I grossed myself out, it's been hot so it was stringy, dirty and gross. Not as oily as I thought it would have gotten, but that's probably because I kept it up in a bun and didn't stimulate oil glands.

Still, 3 days is the maximum I'll ever go if I really need to, but I think I'll stick to my 2-day rule.

I once stumbled upon a site about women who never ever wash their hair. I will try and find it again. They would use terms like WO which meant water only etc. They were hardcore but believed their hair to be the healthiest of all! I will go digging around again later and see if I can find it.

Here it is -
    The Long Hair Community - The "Mane" Forum

Dig around here and you will find many threads about washing with only water.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    I wash my hair everyday b/c its oily... hear that baby powder works. Never tried that, though
    I have very fine hair that gets oily quickly and I've used the talcum powder trick quite a few times. It works well in a pinch.

Yep the baby powder is a keeper for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information