Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinning Hair? Stop Using Shampoo

A*O

I'll try the vitamins and supplements too - can't do any harm. I think the problem with my thin patch is partly hereditary (my mother has baby-thin hair) and damaged follicles following a nasty kidney infection a few years ago which I blitzed with antibiotics and my hair started to fall out. It mostly recovered except this little patch at the front.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Oh PLEASE don't try this! Just stop using cheap shampoos from the drugstore!
    I have thick, fast growing fabulous hair. I use the good stuff. You could do this: Just use ONE soaping, instead of rinise & repeat. Remember: hair picks up all odors and hair SMELLS. If you want to he your hair SERIOUSLY take vitamin b-50 and Omega 3. Don't stop washing. Even your best friend won't tell you. One other possible for you A*O-pre natal vitamins, I say that because my hairdresser always remarks that's like my rapid hairgrowth indicates, just as if I were taking them. Think this over!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

I use top quality shampoo/conditioner (purchased at considerable expense from my hairdresser, he loves me) and wash/rinse only once to avoid it looking flat and lifeless. However, I also use styling cream and a matte wax to spike it up so on reflection I think that no-shampoo washing is going to be a disaster, especially as my fine hair tends to be oily. But the vitamins are a good idea. I have a pretty healthy diet but I don't see how supplements can do any harm.
    Dame Edna Everage

Stress is the probably main killer for your hair. You should avoid it as much as you can.

And I DON'T recommend taking supplements before talking to a doctor. They're not completely harmless.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yes, but the stuff I listed is not in that category.

Hmm, this is all interesting advice. I too have very fine hair that is prone to breakage although it tends to grow at an above average pace. I would really like to know if there are any products/supplements that will strengthen my hair. I also find that my finger nails are quite weak as well (I am thinking there is a connection)?
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Hit By Ban Bus!

What I find really interesting is that the vitamins/minerals/EFA has not helping my nails. They do grow a little faster but their shape is horrible and they are still thin. I think that is genes.

If you have very fine, thin hair as I do, then the fewer products you use, the better. My hair is very oily but I wash it every three days -- unless I've been gardening or perspiring heavily or something -- and on the second day, I sprinkle a small amount of talcum/baby powder to soak up any oil. It works just fine.

I use very little conditioner except once a month on the ends -- a little Vaseline also works just fine according to my hairdresser -- and I use only high-quality shampoos and sparingly. I almost never blow dry my hair. I have a good blunt cut and I shape it with a brush and let it dry naturally.

I rarely use mousse or gel or hair spray since they weigh fine hair down and make it oilier. The only thing I do is get my hair highlighted and cut every 8-10 weeks and I always get compliments on how natural and healthy my hair looks. That said, I've always envied people with naturally thick, wavy hair. Mine is also straight as a board.

^^^^Good Advice. My hair is fine but wavey so it tends to look scraggly I will try a multivitamin or something, so maybe it will help with the texture.

A*O

The best thing for delicate/thin hair is a REALLY GOOD CUT. And don't keep it too long. You may want it cascading down to your waist but if it gets ratty and tatty after it grows below your shoulders then you have to keep it short. Apart from anything else, short hair always looks thicker, especially if you have some good high/low lights too.
    Dame Edna Everage

^^Agreed. I have mine at shoulder length or shorter and it definitely looks best that way. I see so many women with my kind of hair wearing it long and it just looks scraggly and greasy most of the time.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Its all true A*O
    as you know i've been suffering from hair trauma and some of the things I've learned is that:
    1) ppl wash their hair entirely way too much and with too harsh a shampoos
    2) you can train your hair and scalp to go days w/o washing and remain fresh looking (I can go 5 days and I'm one oily ass bitch normally)
    3) drinking a lot of water works wonders on your hair along with enough sleep, excercise, eating right and cutting back on caffeine
    4) take the right vitamins of course but green tea may be detrimental to your hair growth b/c of the caffeine according to my dermatologist
    5) scalp stimulation seems to work for some ppl
    6) washing your hair only with cold water (I swear by this!)
    7) try not to color it if you can possibly do that (I dont color my hair anymore of course and it has literally, im not exagerating, doubled in thickness - but I used to bleach naturally dark hair = not a good idea)
    8) go with natural shampoos and conditioners none of that sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium lauryth sulfate crap ever!
    9) olive oil and ground pepper treatment is a godsend!
    10) try not to blow dry your hair or straighten it; if you have to do either, just do the straightening; i've heard from my doc and internet research that blow drying your hair is akin to murdering it!
    11) i think trimming it every 6 weeks or so is good advice too but i dont know if its a fact that it helps or not

take pics though and compare to 6 months later. I'm not kidding about my hair doubling in thickness b/c as it grew out I could compare the bottom half to the new hair growing in and it was truly amazing! good luck everyone!

p.s. i might have missed some pointers so i'll add if i remember.

Quote Originally Posted by NHKMM View Post
    Stress is the probably main killer for your hair. You should avoid it as much as you can.

And I DON'T recommend taking supplements before talking to a doctor. They're not completely harmless.
    ^ right thats true about stress and thats why doing stress releiving activity like excercise is good for you hair!

I am going to try a number of everyones recommendations , also I think I will take frequent pictures of it to see how it progresses.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ yes take the pics; its a very good idea; i've done it myself of my scalp for instance.

You don't have to skip shampoo, just dilute it. I use the cheap stuff and water it down (about 50/50).
    I noticed a lot more shedding before I started doing this.

Scalp massages are also a good idea to encourage new growth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information