Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a really classic recent perfume?

I like Narcisco Rodriguez for Her in the eau du parfum in small amounts. Not sure whether it's a classic, but it is unusual and lasts a long time.

I think Jean Paul Gaultier's 'Classique' for women, and 'le male' for men will be around for a while. They've had strong sales every since 1993.

It's odd you mention Coconut oil from the bodyshop. I'm just about to buy a bottle of it from Canada because I can't find it anywhere in Australia. The smells is just divine!
    ssabmud

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Estee Lauder Beautiful has been around for quite a while.

I also like Estee Lauder Pleasures (the original scent).

I love Dior Addict.... they've relaunched a new version of it, which they do for only the best selling perfumes.

Marc Jacobs is another one I love.

Ralph Ralph Lauren was amazing smelling, but it's geared more towards younger crowds.

I just know, Chanel No. 5 is iconic. I can remember my mom spraying it on in the car on morning rides to school.

I like Paris by Yves St Laurent. Made in the early 80s.

Some people think it's old-ladyish but I get a ton of compliments when I wear it.
    Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid - Francis Bacon

A*O

But this is my point. Are they NEW perfumes or old ones re-hashed or older classics anyway.
    I try all the 'new' scents that come onto the market, even the crappy 'celeb' ones, and I haven't found one that I think will still be around in even a couple of years, let alone decades like Chanel No.5, L'Air du Temps, Miss Dior, etc
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I just put on my Issey Miyake this morning. god, I love that stuff after 7 years.

Hit By Ban Bus!

For all I care, I just hope Kenzo's Amour sticks around for as long as I live.

i hope "w" by banana republic stays around...it's the only perfume that i've ever really loved. and, nobody else that i know wears it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

A*O I'm not sure if you'd include scents that were popular in the 70s in this, but I was really suprised recently to find that they are still making Charlie and Tabu.
    I went to a chemist to renew a script and was totally shocked to see them in the display cabinet.
    I used to wear these back in the 70s when I was a kid and they are still being made apparently.
    Of course I wouldn't count them as classic perfumes, maybe enduring cheapies? lol

I always found Tabu to be a bit overpowering but when I had a whiff it isn't as strong as I remembered it.

Also my ex-husband used to wear Georgio for Men by Georgio Beverly Hills back in the early 90s. It's still around now, so would that count??

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

I think a classic would have to be at least a few decades old, but I don't know what A*O's parameters are. I think Dior Addict will be a classic. It is a lovely scent that combines classic and modern tastes.

Drakkar Noir is an oldie and a cheapie, and it still makes me swoon.

Carolina Herrera's basic perfume for women is great, really. It's kind of funny...I was reading a mag at the supermarket and Angelina Jolie was raving about it. That seemed so odd to me, she never acts girly like that, so it stuck in my mind the next time I went to the mall. Turned out I agree with her.

I also often like Jean Patou's Joy--though not always. Surprised nobody's mentioned it as it's such an old school classic. Also Chanel #19 is much nicer than #5! I have never understood the thing about #5 either.

Lauder's Pleasures is...very pleasant. VERY. I've had so many friends rave about that one to me, actually--more than any other perfume. It's like a happy drug or something. Based on just that I'd say it'll stick around.

I vote for Issey Mikaye's scents for men AND women being keepers too. The basic men's cologne he does, I swear it's some kind of aphrodisiac.

I honestly don't wear perfume often as it tends to make me sneeze or give me a headache. But none of the ones I've mentioned here bothers me.

(I do love wearing honeysuckle or jasmine oil, very simple, like by L'Occitane. The basic "China Rain" scent is wonderful too. And vervein, too. Those never bug me either.)

My favorite nostalgic dime store scents are "Love's Baby Soft" and Houbigant's "Chantilly". Still have the bottles my grandma gave me when I was a little girl.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It was a TINY bottle of eau de toilette my Dad got Duty Free. It was the only present he ever bought me that I actually liked or used. No offence Dad, but you were crap at choosing presents. It know it's the thought that counts but a wrench and socket set (I'm not joking) isn't top of my Must Have list.

I used to wear anais anais too, but don't any more because it was my bastard asshole boyfriend's favourite and every time I smell it I'm reminded of the misery he put me through.
    OMG. I thought I was the only one that wore Anais Anais. I loved that stuff.

^^^
    ana´s ana´s was my first 'grown up' perfume. my grandmother gave it to me when i was a kid and i treasured that bottle, wearing only the tiniest bit so it would last as long as possible.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm a huge fan of Estee Lauder's Pleasures. The top notes of lily and grass satisfy the girlie side of me, and the base notes of patchouli and sandalwood satisfy the anti-establishment hippie in me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information