Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a really classic recent perfume?

A*O

^^^ Is that infomercial blurb? ALL perfumes are advertised as 'classics' and none of them stand the test of time. I admit I haven't heard of any of them but I'm a loyal Chanel No.19 gal and have been from the day I was given some for my 14th birthday. I try other 'classics' but they all smell like cat pee on me so I stick with what I know works. You know when something really suits you when people ask what perfume you are wearing and I still get compliments about No.19 so obviously it's 'my' scent. I never get bored with it either. Gorgeegious
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

You got Chanel No. 19 at FOURTEEN? *runs to phone to call Mom & complain bitterly*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^^
    is that weird?
    my mum started buying me expensive perfume at around that age as well, maybe even earlier. and before that my grandmother (she spoiled me rotten since i was her first granddaughter) started getting me ana´s ana´s and l'air du temps (usually little bottles, like the ones you get when you buy a set of small perfume bottles on planes) when i was way younger than that, maybe 7 or 8. which spoiled me for life - i could never get into cheap perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    ^^^ Is that infomercial blurb? ALL perfumes are advertised as 'classics' and none of them stand the test of time. I admit I haven't heard of any of them but I'm a loyal Chanel No.19 gal and have been from the day I was given some for my 14th birthday. I try other 'classics' but they all smell like cat pee on me so I stick with what I know works. You know when something really suits you when people ask what perfume you are wearing and I still get compliments about No.19 so obviously it's 'my' scent. I never get bored with it either. Gorgeegious

i get the same compliments about shiseido energising fragrance which i've worn since it came out (not sweet at all but fresh and clean smelling but with a hint of spicy pepper - ideal for anyone that hates sweet perfumes) and eternity. and more recently with dior pure poison. i usually have the shiseido (or aquazzur by lancaster) for summer, and pure poison in winter. i haven't worn eternity in a few years but i will go back to it eventually. i sometimes want to try more perfumes and not just a few staples but it's really hard to find something that works so well on me so i always go back to these.

eta: thought of another men's classic: drakkar noir (guy laroche)
    Last edited by sputnik; August 16th, 2007 at 04:49 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I am a perfume freak. I carry a bloody whole bottle of perfume everywhere I go. Here are the perfumes I have now on my vanity table

- Calvin Klein Escape
    - Baby Doll
    - Chanel Chance
    - Ralph (red and blue)
    - J'adore

I have heaps more but I cant think right now.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You got Chanel No. 19 at FOURTEEN? *runs to phone to call Mom & complain bitterly*

It was a TINY bottle of eau de toilette my Dad got Duty Free. It was the only present he ever bought me that I actually liked or used. No offence Dad, but you were crap at choosing presents. It know it's the thought that counts but a wrench and socket set (I'm not joking) isn't top of my Must Have list.

I used to wear anais anais too, but don't any more because it was my bastard asshole boyfriend's favourite and every time I smell it I'm reminded of the misery he put me through.
    Dame Edna Everage

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

How about White Linen and Beautiful by Estee Lauder?

Hard to define Classic when talking about fragrances. I think it has less to do with surviving the test of time per se, but more about it being a work of art (they are created after all) that continues to intrigue and beguile both the wearer and admirer. Now if only they would stop fucking with classic formulas, I'd be a happy girl. For example, Proctor & Gamble reformulated L'air du Temps after they purchased it in the 90s. Now there's a black market of pre P&G L'air du Temps for serious fragrance freaks like me. BTW if anyone has a stash somewhere I'll pay $$$ for them!

Back to scents, there are boards/ blogs where people argue/ discuss in fun or in depths about fragrances. Here are some favorites, come join us if you like.

About NST :: Now Smell This

Perfume-Smellin' Things Perfume Blog

Bois de Jasmin: Perfume Reviews, Interviews and Fragrance Articles

Perfume of Life

Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Chanel No. 19 is my signature scent, too, but I was way past 14 when I discovered it. More like 21 or something.

I've worn Thierry Mugler's Angel since it was launched - I also have the newer Garden of Stars Lily which is gorgeous, it smells like Stargazer lilies.

My all time favourite is Chanel Cristalle, a total contrast to Angel!

The perfume I have worn which has had most reaction from the opposite sex - The Body Shop's coconut perfumed oil. Men absolutely love it!
    Stella Galaxy ... 16 hands of irish trouble

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Galaxy View Post
    The perfume I have worn which has had most reaction from the opposite sex - The Body Shop's coconut perfumed oil. Men absolutely love it!
    I use Body Shop coconut body butter after a shower and I get compliments too (from both sexes). It's not too sweet and cloying and stays with you all day. Not cheap, but well worth it.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I think Marc Jacobs and possibly Light Blue by Dolce and Gabbana.
    That's what I have. It's very sweet, and has a undertone that is unique and sensual.

Still, I'd probably prefer Chanel.
    Or I'd get a natural fruit, like this brand that at Barney's NY

I like the Orange Blossom.
    Womens Le Labo at Barneys New York
    Direct site, N. American only
    Le Labo

A natural and extremely rare Orange Blossom that took over 3 years to compose.
    Its innate nobility is enhanced by fresh floral and lemony notes, rounded out by musk and the succulent, sunny touches of bergamot, petit grain and lemon.

This Orange Blossom has an intensity and delicious ambiguity that gives women - and men - the absolute power of sensuality.

A*O

Yes, but will it still be around in 50 years' time? I doubt it.
    Dame Edna Everage

Are you collecting stuff to take with you to your grave? LOL
    The LeLabo is what you'd find in Paris.

A*O

No - read my original post. I'm just speculating which of the thousands of 'new' perfumes available today will still be around for as long as classics like Chanel No.5 or Miss Dior have been popular. Personally, I cannot understand why Chanel No.5 is the all time best-seller but that's because I really don't like it. Millions of women obviously do. Some say it was because of Marilyn Monroe's famous quote that the only thing she wore in bed was Chanel No.5
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information