Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So pissed off ... hair color box LIED!!

If its that long, buy more than one box....
    Free Charmed.

^^^ I've read pretty good reviews about it since someone mentioned it in this thread. I don't know if they ship to Canada, but Sephora's customer service policy is freaking awesome .... they will refund you anything returned within 90 days, even if it's used.

A couple of things to know if you want to color your own hair:

1. What is the level of your natural hair color? Box dye only contains 20 vol peroxide, which will only lift 1-2 levels, which is why so many people complain about haircolor coming too dark.

2. What is the level you are trying to get to? If it's more than 1-2 levels lighter, you'll need 30 or 40 volume peroxide. More than 3-4 levels and you can't do it with just dye, hair has to be bleached.

3. What is the underlying pigment of your hair? You'll need to know to get the tone of the color right, and whether you're trying to make it warmer, cooler or natural. That's where ash ( which can be blue, green or violet), gold, red, copper, natural comes into play as an enhancer or a neutralizing color. An understanding of the color wheel (which applies to all color- not just hair color) is something you need.

ETA- 4. Don't keep coloring the length and ends, hair color is progressive, and it will keep getting darker. You'll end up a wreck.

ETA 2- BTW, a talented colorist doesn't always use the most expensive color there is. For years I had my colored at Oribe, now I go to Rita Hazan (by Adrian Wallace- I'd follow him anywhere), and some of the colorists at both salons use Wella Color Charm, or old fashioned Miss Clairol......which you can get in almost any beauty supply store for like $4.00 a bottle.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; November 11th, 2009 at 10:39 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Never succumbed to color (yet) but my best friend whines that when you do your own, no matter what you do the same, you never get the same color twice. She who has been coloring her hair for over 20 years and can't even remember her natural color. We joke: reddish,blondish,brown.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Christie 8N Medium Blonde
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    ^^^ I've read pretty good reviews about it since someone mentioned it in this thread. I don't know if they ship to Canada, but Sephora's customer service policy is freaking awesome .... they will refund you anything returned within 90 days, even if it's used.
    I'm going with this color - that's pretty much my natural color. And I love Sephora, I'm a Sephora whora! The return policy is great.
    And yes, folks - even though my hair is only about midway down my back, I always get 2 boxes to ensure even coverage and colorage.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

guess it depends on your hair color before you dye it.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well i'm in the same boat. i went and got my hair did professionally for the first time in years (lightened highlights) and i hate it i can't wait to go back to black or something dark, i look like a midwestern soccer mom driving my ford expedition on the way to walmart...but i digress...mistake made, won't happen again! i think your natural-color is usually best, but thats just my opinion.... we should all stop messing with our hair! it makes you lose a lot of it too when you start putting chemicals on it, and it costs too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post

Christie 8N Medium Blonde

I'm going with this color - that's pretty much my natural color. And I love Sephora, I'm a Sephora whora! The return policy is great.
    And yes, folks - even though my hair is only about midway down my back, I always get 2 boxes to ensure even coverage and colorage.
    ok, I ordered a box, I'll have to let you know how it turns out... although, I wound up going with a slightly darker color... also ordered some Michael Kors Very Hollywood perfume
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^^ Yes, please let us know. My 6 weeks are almost up and I'm dying to get rid of this dark hair. Hope it turns out awesome for you!!

Free Charmed.

Zee

Did anybody try out the Fekkai (endorsed by FF!) haircoloring yet?

I'm on the fence with picking a color.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

so.. its between ash or oak?
    Free Charmed.

Oh. My. God. *runs away screaming*

Mel, if possible, could you also report on how much dye you get in those kits (more or less than typical drug store dyes)?

The tears I have shed over my haircolor... . Once I bleached it myself and looked like the blond kid on harry potter went to the hairdresser (in tears) she put a color over it and I looked like his grandma. I have put on lime, tomato juice ( I swear )
    I have this color in my mind and it never seems to come out that way or when it does it last for like a week
    And people only have to tell me this is the best colourist there is, no matter how much they charge I will try them.
    My best ever was a trainee but he left, still getting over that one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information