Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So pissed off ... hair color box LIED!!

Since your hair was already color treated (bleached from getting highlights), it was more porous than normal hair and probably sucked up more of the color than it should have, making it too dark. You can't use a box color on bleached hair. (I know we don't like to call highlights "bleaching", but that's what it is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    ^^Try the Head & Shoulders. Couple of months ago, I got my hair colored and it came out too dark for my taste. I used H&S the next day and it did wash it out a bit. Not a lot, but I saw a little bit of a difference.
    This^^

I have used H & S to lift a bit of unwanted colour.

Also I have heard that if you wash your hair with with.. wait for it.. washing up liquid, that it will lift some colour. I'd imagine that you'd want to marinate it in some good conditioner afterwards.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Technically...with all of the times I've dyed my hair my hair should have fallen out years ago! I'm constantly dying it and doing all other sorts of shit to it...I'm frequently changing my hair color, haven't had my natural hair color since I was 13. So I've had almost every color there is to have, right now I'm a medium brown with blonde high lights. But I remember a couple of years ago I was ready for a change (which for me is 6-9 months) and had been dark brunette and decided to go platinum blonde...of course, I'm a cheapskate and wanted to do it myself...so I went to Wal-mart got some bleach and a very light blonde and was so excited to do it...

BAAAD idea! So what ended up happening was that I didn't leave the bleach on long enough...so I had platinum roots but everything below it was ORANGE! So of course, I'm freaking out...and my dumb ass decided to do this on Sunday night, when I had to work the next morning! So I ran to wal-mart, grabbed another thing of bleach and a darker blonde with a lot of ash tones (which is supposed to minimize redish/orange tones) and I did it again immediately (my scalp gave me a big fuck you after that!) when I got home. So, I ended up skipping the bleach and just going over the hot mess with the darker ash blonde and surprisingly it worked! My hair still had a hint of orange but it wasn't very noticeable and it looked natural, kind of like a strawberry blonde color. I ended up staying with that color for half a year and went back to brunette...I'd like to try black sometime but am scared to enter that territory...maybe someday...

As for the whole "wait 6-8 weeks or whenever" before coloring again...I never wait- shit I've dyed over newly done dye jobs when I wasn't satisfied and so far my hair is still in pretty good shape, in fact, this last time I dyed it I caved and got it done professionally and the girl doing my hair was shocked at how good of condition my hair/scalp was in for all the times I've dyed it, however if my hair ends up falling out as a result of all this, well then I guess I'll invest in a lot of awesome wigs!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    I just looked at that Frederic Fekkai haircolour on Sephora and I really like medium auburn.
    I don't have a Sephora store around, do you know if you can buy this anywhere else in store?
    I'm hesitant to go lighter because it seems the red tones in my hair fuck up lighter colours. The only colours that seem to turn out the closest to the box chart are reds and burgandys.
    You can buy it online.. she actually bought it online. They seem to carry it at higher-end stores... Saks, Neimans, Bergdorff Goodman's, CO Bigelow, Bon Marche, Nordstrom, and Bath and Body Works Flagship stores. I would really recommend buying it online, though.. you wont have to deal with the inevitable snoots at all these stores. Here's a link.

Buy Frederic Fekkai Hair Products at Our Salons and Fine Retailers

I just got my hair colored and I kind of want to try these myself for when the time comes to get it re-touched. The sun does weird weird things to my hair so I end up having super dark roots and reddish, copperish hair because of the way it reacts to sunshine. Maybe I'll try these next time...

i'm amazed at the prices that hairdressers can get. The person that does mine, is awesome. Charges me 50 bucks for color AND highlights (and a cut).

She also took the bleach out of my daughters hair. Basically stripped it. and then put her normal brown back in it, and it looked great. Wish i could remember the name of the product.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I hate when this happnes. This always seems to happen to me and I wind up having to wash my hair a million times to dilute it. It should turn the color on the box dammit!!!
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Don't put anything else on your head! Get yourself to a professional. I've been here.

I wanted to go a dark red. I also used a box color. My hair came out a dark plum. I kid you not. It was dreadful. Stupidly I was too embarrassed to go to my regular colorist, so I went to the beauty supply. She gave me some color removing stuff which was suppose to strip the color, then some dye in a dark blond to fill it. My hair fell out in clumps! Weirdly only in spots. So I didn't have to totally shave my head or anything. I finally have it back to its old length but it took three years.

I wouldn't take any chances and wait until a good colorist can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i'm amazed at the prices that hairdressers can get. The person that does mine, is awesome. Charges me 50 bucks for color AND highlights (and a cut).

She also took the bleach out of my daughters hair. Basically stripped it. and then put her normal brown back in it, and it looked great. Wish i could remember the name of the product.
    Shit. I want the name of your stylist. I pay more just for a freakin root touch-up, no cut or highlights. It's highway robbery out here to go to a professional.

Shit. I want the name of your stylist. I pay more just for a freakin root touch-up, no cut or highlights. It's highway robbery out here to go to a professional.
    Where I am as well. I do not get out of the salon without spending $300. I'm really sick of it. I'm going to get my hair cut at SuperCuts and have only have her color it. She might be pissed, but I can't afford that every six weeks!

I'm in the state of brown roots and feeling cranky.

My friend when we were kids changed the color in boxes in the stores so I always check to see if it's the same color I bought that is in the package.
    "Well isn't that special"

Omg! The little shit!

i'm always afraid that she'll get too big to do my hair for cheap (i've been going there for 8 yrs) she's awesome. if she moved, i'd follow her to another state.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I discovered this Killer Strands website by accident one night and it has AMAZING advice, written by a professional hairstylist. She's a bit long-winded but there is some terrific information on the site.

I think that what you need to do ASAP is what she calls 'the shampoo train.' Here she is explaining it:
    My suggestion to all of you that want to perform this miracle is to spend at least a full week (even 2 weeks) performing the SHAMPOO TRAIN (I dubbed it that years ago and it stuck -- in Malibu anyway). I've had about a half dozen Strands readers write in with how successful this has been for them.

Start right away with the shampoo train.
    I have quite a few people in this stage right now. This is what we use in the hair color world with hair models. If you shampoo the hell out of hair, with a CLARIFYING shampoo, the color begins to come out, you loosen the color molecules and begin to fade the hair color-exactly what we want.

It goes like this.....

The best shampoo is Malibu 2000 UN DO GOO. If you can't get that, buy a crappie CLARIFYING shampoo.
    Leave shampoo ON THE HAIR for 5-10 minutes ( longer the better)
    Rinse, wait min. 30 minutes & repeat
    Do this 4-5-6 times - EVERY day!!

That will lighten even black....which is what you want.
    You should also read these entries:
    Killer Chemists > Most Common Question For August. | Killer Strands
    DECOLORIZATION of Previously Colored Hair : Introduction of the Shampoo Train | Killer Strands

Tags for sections of her blog that are relevant:
    Killer Strands: Hair Color Removal
    Killer Strands: Boxed Hair Color Kits: Say NO To Them

I found this really interesting:

She's got extensive instructions on her site for how to color your hair yourself at home, but not using pre-made color kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    You can buy it online.. she actually bought it online. They seem to carry it at higher-end stores... Saks, Neimans, Bergdorff Goodman's, CO Bigelow, Bon Marche, Nordstrom, and Bath and Body Works Flagship stores. I would really recommend buying it online, though.. you wont have to deal with the inevitable snoots at all these stores. Here's a link.

Buy Frederic Fekkai Hair Products at Our Salons and Fine Retailers

I just got my hair colored and I kind of want to try these myself for when the time comes to get it re-touched. The sun does weird weird things to my hair so I end up having super dark roots and reddish, copperish hair because of the way it reacts to sunshine. Maybe I'll try these next time...
    Thanks for that link Penny. I'm in a bumfuck town east of Vancouver so there's no way I'm going to be able to buy it in store, so I'll order it online sometime.
    I'd rather pay $30 for something like that than $20 for that Perfect 10 stuff.

Cali, thanks for that link as well

Thank you all so much for the links and information ... it's greatly appreciated!! I've washed my hair twice since it's been colored .... I have to use *heavily* moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and then another heavy leave-in conditioner as it is on a regular basis, so I'm cringing at the thought of washing my hair so many times in one day (plus, the stuff I use isn't cheap). I keep looking at it in the mirror and I'm just trying to talk myself into living with it until it's "safe" to go to my stylist. It's weird because my roots are lighter than the rest of my hair, which is the complete opposite when it's natural. And there are a lot of red highlights (plus it being dark brown), which is a warm tone ... my skin tone color is cool and very pale (and all my makeup is in cool tones). So it's kind of hard to get used to ... the darkness of my hair makes me look even more ghastly white. The one good thing is that the color is making my blue-green eyes (almost turquoise, but they change depending on what I'm wearing) just POP, even without makeup. They are so bright and clear that it looks like I'm wearing colored contact lenses.

I did a poll on another board that I belong to a year or two ago asking about colorist pricing in my area and apparently my stylist/colorist is at the top end. She is really very good and her prices in the salon she works at are at the top tier because of her expertise in coloring. She does use two colors of lowlights and then foil highlights, plus I have to get a conditioning treatment because of my really dry hair. Plus I get charged for extra long hair for all the products too, so it just adds up. It's just SO much money and I can't find anyone that does it as well as she does.

I'm really interested in the Fekkai coloring ... I'll have to look into that. Would you consider that a "box" coloring job too? I'm so frustrated.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information