Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shedding hair

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    My hair doesn't get greasy at all any more, that is it's strawy and dry now. If only it was greasy. It used to be, and it was fine.
    I've also heard it's terrible to shampoo your hair every day because it makes your hair used to it and it loses its natural protection or something like that.
    You hair might be dry, especially if it's longer and obviously if it's curly/very wavy (since curly hair = dry hair) - - - but trust me, your scalp isn't. And a clean, healthy scalp=healthy hair. And there's no way your scalp is clean when you're only washing once a week.

And I'm sorry, but my hair is MUCH nicer and healthier since I started washing it daily. And I have very thick, coarse hair - that is now shiny and soft.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by NHKMM View Post
    ^Not washing for an entire week IS disgusting, I'm sorry. It gets awfully greasy, it smells and you develope dandruff and other nasty stuff - as well as losing your hair eventually because your scalp is dirty.

And my hair is much healthier since I started washing it daily. And I read PLENTY of articles saying it's perfectly fine and healthy to wash daily.
    Who said anything about not washing it for a week? Oh and by the way, a clean scalp doesn't have anything to do with how healthy your hair is. The healthiness of your hair can only be determined by diet/ vitamins etc, seeing as how the follicle is below the surface of the scalp and cannot be affected by shampoo etc.
    Maybe you are mistaking "healthy" with clean/ texture. They are different. Clean and/or soft hair has absolutely nothing to do with hair loss.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

^Allie said he washes once a week.

And clean scalp is VERY important to the hair. Dirty scalp CAN and WILL cause hair loss and skin problems. End of.

I lost TONS of hair two years ago (I used to wash 1-2 times a week TOP...and had tons of dandruff and hair falling because of it) and it stopped once I started washing daily. It was also ruined by gel and other products (which I still have to use lol, but I try to avoid using them too much) - but at least it looks good and healthy again.
    Today, although my hair is not what it used to be and probably never will (It used to be somewhat thicker and very soft, straight and shiny) - it looks very good now and is very thick. So I'm talking from personal experience.
    Last edited by NHKMM; June 12th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Hair loss - MayoClinic.com

Nothing in there about a dirty scalp causing hair loss.

Personal experience, however convincing it may seem to the person, is just anecdotal evidence.

"A common way anecdotal evidence becomes unscientific is through fallacious reasoning such as the post hoc fallacy, the human tendency to assume that if one event happens after another, then the first must be the cause of the second." - source psychology.wikia.com
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

^Yeah, like one link actually shows anything.

I knew people in my life with poor hygiene and hair care routines who lost a lot of hair.

You can also search for more extreme stuff, like Seborrehic Alopecia etc.

Can't stand it when people think they know everything, especially when relying on silly hair dressers or hair "clinics"

Not eating will definately make you lose hair - that is no myth. Hair loss actually cured one of my anorexic friends.

Can't stand it when people think they know everything, especially when relying on silly hair dressers or hair "clinics"
    Well, the Mayo clinic isn't exactly just a "hair clinic", it's a very prestigious health and research facility.

That aside, there are plenty of factors in hair health, and plenty of anecdotal evidence on both sides (I've heard a lot of accounts that not washing your hair at all actually allows it to reach an equilibrium and results in healthy hair, and I've also heard the opposite), so no need to get snippy with one another, mmmkay gang?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I tried that method for a long time (Was a dirty little teenager, lol) and trust me, it doesn't work. My hair looked disgusting and was full of grease, dirt, dandruff and other crap. lol

Eli

I guess it just depends on your hair. I have tried washing it every day (back in 02 I think) and it was just awful. My hair does not like it.

^There's a difference even between washing your hair daily to washing your hair WEEKLY.

Maybe it just depends on the individual..... I only wash my hair about twice a week and it's perfectly healthy and thick. It's long, down to my butt, and washing it any more than that really seems to dry it out.

Shampoos can be very harsh, so I always dilute mine. Usually with about half water.

Allie, try this a couple of times a week:

Wet your hair and apply conditioner all over. Then use diluted shampoo on the roots and scalp only (while conditioner is still on the rest). Then rinse. Applying the conditioner first helps to coat the hair, protecting it from the harshness of the shampoo.

Try to avoid shampoos and conditioners with lots of silicone in them. Silicones put a coating on your hair that seals out moisture. Pantene (for example) is chocked full of them. They may work well for some, but my hair hates them.

Look at the ingredients-- anything that ends in 'cone' is a silicone. The things closest to the beginning of the list are most predominant in the product.

If you've got coarse, wavy hair (like mine) that tends to frizz, do not towel dry. It roughs up the cuticles of the hair, making it less smooth. Just wring out the water and let it drip dry.

Only use a wide tooth comb, especially on wet hair. Fine tooth combs can pull hair out.

If you're getting lots of tangles it usually means it's time for a trim. Split ends tend to tangle a lot.

Conditioner on scalp and before shampoo? no no no no :O

^^ I do it that way sometimes, it works for me.

I wash my hair every other day. I have been doing that for about 4 yrs, and it really works for me.

I have had some SEVERE shedding though, started about 3 months ago and has completely freaked me out. I started taking my prenatal vitamins again (left over from when I wasn't able to stomach them) and eating more protein. Has slowed down a bit, but still coming out. Had this happen after my 1st baby too, but much earlier/sooner after the baby was born. Which is why I was freaking out...

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yes protein, leafy green veggies, less caffiene, more water and enough sleep! i take biotin pills and use this product called curtage for a course or two/ a year since its expensive (for me) how's your hair now Rasberrty?!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information