Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shedding hair

Elite Member

well i am losing hair. is it possible from stress? what vitamins/supplements should i take? and i do see some on my pillow. i think its stress cuz these past few months have been hell but i dunno. its long but thinning. sooo sad.

Do you have dandruff/oily hair? How often to you shampoo? Do you condition?

Hair loss is also a sign of a Thyroid problem.. I've been reading up on that and I have a few of the warning signs..
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Hair shedding is normal. I have a ton of very fine hair and it's pretty long these days. And it seems like it's everywhere! On the car windshield, on the floor, on my coat, etc. I don't see any noticeable thinning at my scalp so I don't feel the need to be concerned. If your hair is falling out in clumps or noticeably thinning, then yes, a woman needs to see a doctor - probably an endocrinologist for possible alopecia.
    Last edited by qwerty; February 2nd, 2008 at 04:54 PM.

It is normal to lose around 100 hairs per day. Certain times of year you may lose more than others. Mine seems to shed the most in the fall, but everyone's different.

Biotin is really good to take (it's found in eggs) or you could try some prenatal vitamins.

Good luck!

From washing and brushing, I lost 200 hair strands yesterday (yes, i counted ). BUT I hadn't washed my hair for a week and was wearing it in the same tight bun. And because I wasn't taking it out to brush it, all the dead hair stayed on my head, so when I took it out - i lost those 200 hairs, which is probably my 50 a day normal shed. Its better to brush it daily so you don't get that 'shock'. I really don't think wearing your hair up helps shedding. It can even pull hair right out of the follicle. I'm going to invest in some good hair clips because the whenever i take out my hair, theres hair wrapped around the hair elastic, hair that has been broken off from being tied up.

Elite Member

thanks for input! thing is, im in my 20s and i got checked for thyroid and all that when i had some issues with my period. but all is fine now. i was under A LOT of stress the fast few months and i wasnt eating/sleeping. i read somewhere sometimes hair may be dormant for a few months and start falling out after the stressful period is over. i mean the kind of stress where i had chest pains all day. but i totally agree about not brushing lol. i get like that too. thats why i wear a clip instead of elastic too. it prevents too many tangles. thanks for all the tips!!

Eli

I have this same problem recently but it's only because I've grown my hair long.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    From washing and brushing, I lost 200 hair strands yesterday (yes, i counted ). BUT I hadn't washed my hair for a week and was wearing it in the same tight bun.
    That's the reason you lose hair. I used to shed a lot of hair, too, so I went to a dermatologist.

She told me that women who wear long hair pulled back, lose more hair than normal. Especially in the front, the hair gradually thins out.

I wear my hair down more often now and it has stopped.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Yeah, I always wear my hair down, even when I sleep for the most part, it helps protect it from thinning. If not I wear it in a loose ponytail. My doctor actually warned me against wearing my hair tightly pulled back at all.

In any case, I shed A LOT. I have very thick long hair which sheds easily, especially when I wear it curly because then its not brushed a lot. But I don't worry about it, stressing about it WILL cause your hair to fall out. Its normal, if you don't see any spotting and your hair is not coming out in clumps, I wouldn't even give it a second glance. Its certainly a bit paranoid to count every strand you lose, thats stressful! I would just relax, I'm sure everything is fine. It is a bit gross sometimes, I'm always vacuuming under my makeup table because thats where all the hair tends to collect, because thats where I often sit to do my hair or brush it. Its yucky, like one big hairball.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^Good to know. Stressing out certainly doesn't help shedding!

I got my hair cut to my shoulders today, and it curls under- a dita von teese style but longer. I am IN love with it. I didn't plan to cut my hair but let me tell you what happened; because of my tight buns, i had a HUGE knot. I mean HUGE. I put an entire bottle of conditioner in it and it still wouldn't go. My Mum was horrified, she spent the morning trying to untangle it but it was like a thick rope! So we had to cut it, and i was abit 'ohhh fuck no' at first, but i love it. This length actually suits me.

But that knot has scared me out of buns! But i did messy buns and used 100 hair elastics to keep it in, so its my own fault. Never again.

Good for you! I'm actually really wanting to cut my hair, I am bored of having it long - but I'm terrified to do it and then hate it. Because its not like my hair is really ugly as is, you know? Argh, I keep trying to talk myself into it and then I freeze up. It doesn't help that everyone I know is trying to talk me out of it.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Good for you! I'm actually really wanting to cut my hair, I am bored of having it long - but I'm terrified to do it and then hate it. Because its not like my hair is really ugly as is, you know? Argh, I keep trying to talk myself into it and then I freeze up. It doesn't help that everyone I know is trying to talk me out of it.
    Why not just change the style? Bangs, Layers, Angling all create different flattering looks.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I know what you mean; i was attached to my long hair. But i've wanted the shorter hair for a long time but I hate hairdressers, so my Mum cut it for me - to cut the knot out and i'm thinking 'oh crap how is she going to style it, but she gave me the exact style i wanted - all without me asking for it, so i was pleasantly surprised and very happy. Because its summer too, i couldn't wear my hair out because its too heavy and hot, and i was tying it up everyday so it wasn't getting a break, and it got back at me whenever i took a shower - it would fall out like crazy from being restricted all day.

Heres my hair before;

And after (now).

I hadn't coloured it, it was the lighting. My hair looks orange in some lights, but the brown in the 'now' photo is my natural colour. Just remember that a new style can do wonders; i am sooooooooo happy with my hair right now. And i dont have to tie it up. And remember hair always grows back.

You have beautiful hair
    Last edited by DitaPage*; February 4th, 2008 at 06:30 AM.

I can't see the pix! I'm so excited, though, that sounds lovely.

I just cut my hair, too. Not that short, but much shorter than it used to be. I went from hip length to tittie length. I got the rope and the dreadlocks, too. Now it's so much more pleasant, especially in the heat! Also it doesn't take me half the time to wash my hair.

So congrats!

Now I want to see it, though.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information