Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self tanners: any recommendations?

Thanks everyone! I'm going to check out all you've suggested.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

I use Ocean Potion that I get at Walmart and I've seen it at grocery stores - it's relatively inexpensive and very easy to use. Feels light and non-streaky. It's like a cheaper version of the Jergens stuff.

Every single tanner I've used has streaked, after applying the tanning cream, I moisturize really well with something like Vitamin E or Sorbolene (i.e just a basic moisturizer) and I don't get any streaks.
    ssabmud

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    LOL! I just want a nice, healthy glow- not to look like an oompa loompa.
    Then do not use Seven Nyne (Lindsay Lohan's creation)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    What about Jergens Natural Glow lotion? It's just a moisturizer with a touch of tanner in it to gradually give you a little tan. You can get the light/fair kind if you're super pale and it shouldn't make you look Oompa Loompa, just like you have a bit of color.
    I highly recommend this. I got the firming one last summer and it worked great! I'm more olive toned so I pick up color pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Gold Member

What about Jergens Natural Glow lotion? It's just a moisturizer with a touch of tanner in it to gradually give you a little tan. You can get the light/fair kind if you're super pale and it shouldn't make you look Oompa Loompa, just like you have a bit of color.

Everyone I know who's used it really likes it. I would try it myself, but it's not fragrance free and anything with any scent at all makes me itch & scratch like crazy.
    I think my sister wasn't happy with it because she kept getting splotches. I can't remember for sure.

Mary Kay has or at least had one and while I never used it myself, it always looked nice on the people that used it. Plus I don't recall it having a bad smell and I have a very sensitive nose.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Elite Member

Everyone I know who's used it really likes it. I would try it myself, but it's not fragrance free and anything with any scent at all makes me itch & scratch like crazy.
    I am VERY fair and have been using this. I like it. Gives me just a few shades of color, which is all I need so I don't look like a ghost all summer.

You do need to really rub it in all over -- and if you have extra dry areas (knees/elbows, etc) smooth on a regular moisturizer first so you don't get dark patches. I put it on right after I shower and it smooths on very quickly and nicely. They also have some other formulas that are in a foam -- haven't tried them.

Bronze Member

Piz Bun's self tanner is great. It gives you an even and rather natural looking tan and it just fades away as days go by. Same thing with lancome.

A*O

Be pale and interesting.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Be pale and interesting.
    If I try that during the autumn/winter/spring, I look like I'm near death bed. My face gets so pale it's not normal, it's just looks like there's no blood flow at all. One doctor figured it might be because of lack of iron, but it's just the way it is. That's why I use selftan since it gives me a healthy, natural looking colour. If I'd try to fix the problem with makeup, I'd have to put it so much that it'd just look disgusting. You can use selftan without going overboard with it a la lindsay lohan That's why I also buy a bit more expensive products since the colour is more natural and even.

This is the current one in my house...it works well!
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Be pale and interesting.
    I actually love being so pale...except my legs never get even a smidge of color, so it really helps me not look like a total idiot when my arms get a little color to them. It also helps me get rid of my inevitable "farmer tan" and even out my arms a bit.

The funniest thing is that I am the only person in my family who does not tan much at all. I have the palest skin. My sisters get very brown, so does my mom. My nieces and nephew get really dark. I married a pale guy, and our kids are pale as well. When we take an extended family photo in the summer, my family glows. If they place us in the middle, we look like an Oreo.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    And can someone recommend one that doesn't have that AWFUL smell?!?!?!?!?
    I'm currently using Dove Energy Glow, and it smells quite nice. It's actually a good moisturizer, too. I'm really fair-skinned and started noticing a difference in colour immediately. I would advise that you use it every other day and gradually build up a tan, though. My sister's been using it daily, and she's developing an orange-ish hue and some streaks. Mine's pretty consistent and natural-looking, though. So maybe that's the secret?
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I am VERY fair and have been using this. I like it. Gives me just a few shades of color, which is all I need so I don't look like a ghost all summer.

You do need to really rub it in all over -- and if you have extra dry areas (knees/elbows, etc) smooth on a regular moisturizer first so you don't get dark patches. I put it on right after I shower and it smooths on very quickly and nicely. They also have some other formulas that are in a foam -- haven't tried them.
    Using this right now. I did one coat yesterday and did one after I showered today. I think it's great and the scent isn't bad at all. For me it seemed much less smelly than others. Really easy to put on.

AO - I am a pale white girl and proud! If I wear a scoop or V neck top (and I never remember to wear sunblock for walking around), I get this nice pinky golden chest that doesn't go with my white limbs. I seemed to blending out with the Jergens (in fair).

I didn't do so well with L'Oreal Sublime. I think that it's really a tinted moisturizer makes the application more forgiving.

I like the Avene sunless tanner. No streaks and doesn't look orange. I put some on my bikini tan lines after I went to Mexico in March and it blended perfectly.

I don't like the Jergens stuff at all. I tried it and both my sister and my s/o said it made my skin look dirty.

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

No self tanner has ever worked for me, not once in my whole life. First, the tanner turns me orange, then as it fades, I start to turn a gross yellow color.

Someone even asked me once if I had jaundice, and they weren't being mean, they were seriously worried about my health. That was an uncomfortable conversation.

I don't even try anymore. I've decided just to be pale and stop trying to look sun kissed and healthy. F*ck it.
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information