Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salmon may be best-kept beauty secret

Okay salmon experts, riddle me this: I love, love LOVE salmon sushi, as in raw salmon on top of rice. Sometimes a dash of lemon or soy sauce but it's so creamy and delicious I could eat it by itself. Many, many days in a row. But I have never had any cooked salmon that I liked, it's always tasted way too fishy for my tastes. Why the apparent contradiction? I'm thinking maybe the sushi-grade salmon must be of a much higher quality than the regular stuff at the supermarket or restaurants, but that's only a guess.

It is a little fishy tasting, smelling thats why seasonings,glazes, marinades are important. I like mine on the sweet side so I use things like sweet and sour sauce, teriyaki sauces, marmalades like orange and raspberry. Brown sugar works great. I also like it jerk style with a kick to it. Smoked is another option
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    thanks sputty! this sounds soooo good:
    forgot to say, papillotte goes in the oven (about 200C, no clue what that is in fahrenheit but you can google that). or on the grill, like someone else suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Okay salmon experts, riddle me this: I love, love LOVE salmon sushi, as in raw salmon on top of rice. Sometimes a dash of lemon or soy sauce but it's so creamy and delicious I could eat it by itself. Many, many days in a row. But I have never had any cooked salmon that I liked, it's always tasted way too fishy for my tastes. Why the apparent contradiction? I'm thinking maybe the sushi-grade salmon must be of a much higher quality than the regular stuff at the supermarket or restaurants, but that's only a guess.
    that is weird.
    i guess i can't really relate since i love the fishiness of it. i guess maybe you should go for white fish if you're going to eat it cooked, because IMO if you're going to put a lot of seasonings and sauces and stuff on salmon to mask the taste, there's no point in spending money on good salmon which, IMO, is a fish that tastes best with almost nothing on it.
    though it does taste great if you rub it with a little bit of teriyaki sauce and broiled in the oven.

also, maybe you're overcooking it? or even just cooking it all the way through? i think salmon tastes best when it's still rare in the middle.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

SVZ

3grams of a good organic cocoa powder has been shown to increase skin moistur by up to 20%

I take omega 3 supplements every day and it hasnt done jack shit for my wrinkles
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

OHHH,NOOOO,Sput! I can't stand it rare in the middle! I think it tastes fine-as long as it is fresh. I think if you live inland,might be best to go with frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I take omega 3 supplements every day and it hasnt done jack shit for my wrinkles
    That maybe hopeless,but it has rather sharpened your brain!
    Last edited by Tati; February 24th, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My brain has been knife sharp since i was born!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    My brain has been knife sharp since i was born!

I think she meant bright, not pointy.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

im getting hungry

I want salmon croquettes. Right now.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Nah, mercury is more an issue with tuna and other large fish. With salmon, it's PCB's (chemicals from runoff), particularly in farmed and Atlantic species. Buy wild Alaskan varieties.
    That's very true more of the larger fish. I love sea food though.

Mahi mahi is my overall fav, but I too love most seafood
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I'm boring, my fav fish after catfish is cod, but you can do anything with it.

I'm a big seafood fan and will eat anything but squid, that shit is nasty. And don't go telling me about fried calamari, sand-filled, tasteless sacks of rubber.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

mmm fried calamari, with some lemon juice and dipping sauce... so awesome

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information