Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The pores that eat your face

Eli

I in general have large pores. Like if you look at Robin William's face on the cover of 'Toys', you'll know what I mean. But I think because up until I was 16 I didn't wash my face ever (because I just didn't need to), that dirt has somehow managed to get so deep that it's unretrievable. At least not by the usual methods.
    I recall when I was 17 that my pores weren't this big. I guess it's ageing.

^^ Derms say it's in the diet. I disagree...

Have had a skin abrasion at a PS office where they take skin off of your skin. It's not any better after that. There are two indents, like old acne places on the cheeks T-zone.

It's also part environmental. If I am in a place where there less pollution and cleaner, like the ocean, my skins feels better. Otherwise, my skins is a magnent for anything in the air.

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    ^^ Derms say it's in the diet. I disagree...

Have had a skin abrasion at a PS office where they take skin off of your skin. It's not any better after that. There are two indents, like old acne places on the cheeks T-zone.

It's also part environmental. If I am in a place where there less pollution and cleaner, like the ocean, my skins feels better. Otherwise, my skins is a magnent for anything in the air.
    It's funny you mention that, come to think of it in the past 5 years since I left high school I've obviously been procrastinating more than often and that means eating more junk food (of which I love!), so it may actually be diet given before I was 17 I never had any problems. And with braces at age 15 I stopped eating so much that I became very slim (better than now, I wish I had braces again!) and didn't necessarily eat more, but ate less junk.
    So who knows? I reckon the whole world's properly clueless on this one.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    It's funny you mention that, come to think of it in the past 5 years since I left high school I've obviously been procrastinating more than often and that means eating more junk food (of which I love!), so it may actually be diet given before I was 17 I never had any problems. And with braces at age 15 I stopped eating so much that I became very slim (better than now, I wish I had braces again!) and didn't necessarily eat more, but ate less junk.
    So who knows? I reckon the whole world's properly clueless on this one.
    If it is of any consolation... food is not the main culprit.
    Sure, the healthier our diet, the healthier everything in us, skin included. But pores, in particular, get "larger" for specific reasons not tied to food.
    Around our twenties, our skin starts to lose the capacity to retain water and slowly starts to lose the "cushion" of baby fat. Now, our skin has pores, even poreless looking faces... For some people, these changes as we age still do not change their pore appearance, but for most, those changes do. What happens is that the more hydrated our skin is, and the more underlying "normal" subctuneous fat it has (not talking of fat from gaining weight, but the one we all have in a higher degree as kids), the more plumped our skin is. And the more plumped, the less any sort of mark, scar and irregularities in the skin are visible. Try this: put some moisturizer over our skin without rubbing much, or splash your face with water and look at your skin when you have just done it. The pores become unnoticeable or almost, until our skin dries again. That is not exactly what happens, but it gives you an idea of what having a well hydrated, youthful skin made us look like.
    To the problems mentioned above, one has to add the problem of the sebum production over the years making the walls of our pores get dilated so often that ast time goes by, those "walls" lose their tone: the collagen and elastin in the "walls" of the pores, the tiny tiny muscles that react to heat and humidity to "open" or "close" pores lose their ability to "bounce back" and "close" properly. As years go by and that we keep on losing our ability to retain moisture, that our collagen and elastin fibers are not all that great, that our skin loses its tonicity and so on, the walls of the pores "give up" more and more or at least become more noticeable.
    Sad, but true.
    Only few people are genetically blessed to not see age aggravating that problem.

^^
    I put on a mask, and after soaking it off with the water, my skin looked healthy. So, I get what you mean about 'hydration'.

I know that the hair follicle plays a part. I also produce a lot of oil on my face, especially on the T-zone cheeks. It's so hard to know how to hydrate the skin so that you don't become oily again.

Eli

Okay you guys are either gonna scream or slap me for this, but last night I worked and worked to get my blackheads on my nose out and they would not so I actually got a scrub and scrubed and then I stopped and wondered of the repurcussions, so... now I look like I have sunburn on my nose. And one of my pores is ripped!! Never doing that again.

smf

^lol not a good idea ,dont worry your not alone ,i have pores on my nose ,i find it discussting ,and from reading responses it doesnt seem like much you can do about it , but others prolly dont notice it ,just you notice

Wash face at least 2-3 times a day with Cetaphil. Its very gentle. Exfoliate..but only twice a week. Too much exfoliating will just make your skin go overboard with reproducing its natural oils and you'll end up with bigger even bigger pores) Use some sort of clay mask once a week after washing face (to absorb all the excess oils still trapped down deep) Don't ever do the exfoliating and the mask on the same day
    And the key is to always always always rinse your face with cold water. As cold as you can take it. It tightens your pores up really good.
    And, of course, Always moisturize after washing. Use a non greasy product...or one that says its for combo-oily skin (even if you don't really have oily skin, these ones will absorb better for those of us worried about pore size)

...works for me!

maybe you could try to extract whatever is inside that pore (carefully) or get a dermatologist to do it...getting the gunk out will probably make it appear a bit smaller.

Ugh, my son actually ASKED me the other day, "Mummy, what are all those little holes in your face?" I should start using a toner again, but my face tends to get overly dry when I do. So lets see, look old by having big pores or look old by having dry, easily wrinkling skin? Sigh. 29 sucks.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I don't use toner either WhateverLolaWants. It really dries out my skin...and that usually caused a breakout. Since I've stopped with the toners and kept up with the routine I posted above, my pores have got alot smaller. I'm tellin ya. The cold water rinse is the best best best advice I ever got from my girlfriend (who is an escthetician)!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bijoux View Post
    I don't use toner either WhateverLolaWants. It really dries out my skin...and that usually caused a breakout. Since I've stopped with the toners and kept up with the routine I posted above, my pores have got alot smaller. I'm tellin ya. The cold water rinse is the best best best advice I ever got from my girlfriend (who is an escthetician)!!
    Thanks, Bijoux I may try your routine for a while...sounds manageable and hey, my current routine was built upon getting stage makeup off at the end of the night, so it definitely needs an overhaul!
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

MY skin feels so dry. It must be the weather.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have one large pore where a zit used to be when I was very young, and it drives me crazy. Only spackle would take care of it, but I'm sure I'm the only one who notices it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information