Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perfume Reformulations

[quote=WhoAmI;2363906]I noticed that the Love's Baby Soft is totally different from the 70s/80s. Very weird. Also Shalimar is different, as is Emeraude. Emeraude used to be lovely fragrance similar to Shalimar, but it changed drastically in the 1990s.

Confession.......

I saved my half full spray bottle of Love's Baby Soft from 1976 because it reminded me of the crush I had on my English teacher. It still smells good!

Phallic much?

The bottle on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Confession.......

I saved my half full spray bottle of Love's Baby Soft from 1976 because it reminded me of the crush I had on my English teacher. It still smells good!

Phallic much?

The bottle on the left.

that's too funny
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

So far (knocking wood hard) First and Opium smell the same. I've been wearing them since the early 80's and they're my signature colognes. I would freak OUT if they changed them.

Bronze Member

I bought a bottle of the old Lauren about three years ago from Ebay, and when it didn't smell like it used to I assumed that I got a fake and I bought a new one from Ulta. It didn't smell the same either, so now I had two bottles of it that I had to throw out. I've also noticed that the original Poison, Shalimar, Chanel #19, Chloe, and Rive Gauche have also been reformulated. I read on a perfume website that Opium has recently been reformulated too.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeelover View Post
    I bought a bottle of the old Lauren about three years ago from Ebay, and when it didn't smell like it used to I assumed that I got a fake and I bought a new one from Ulta. It didn't smell the same either, so now I had two bottles of it that I had to throw out. I've also noticed that the original Poison, Shalimar, Chanel #19, Chloe, and Rive Gauche have also been reformulated. I read on a perfume website that Opium has recently been reformulated too.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I bought a bottle last year and it smells the same so if they did, I hope it's not too noticeable!

Chanel 19 is another one of my loves, and I can tell it's changed somewhat, but I don't dislike it. Poison has gone to hell. It's sickly sweet and horrible now.

From the original article:

Perfumes are being reformulated at a more rapid rate than they used to. Vanilla, jasmine, oakmoss, coumarin, birch tar, citrus oils, heliotropin, styrax, opoponax…these are just a few of the fragrance materials that are restricted and/or banned by IFRA1 or are under consideration for restriction. The most recent set of IFRA standards (the 43rd Amendment) was issued in 2008; perfume companies are supposed to reformulate all existing perfumes to be compliant with these standards by August, 2010. In practice, if you’ve been doing much sniffing lately, you know that many old favorites have already been redone in advance of the deadline.
    So we're all screwed. It's happening at an accelerated pace. Soon nothing will be the same.

Chalet, I sniffed some Love's Baby Soft again yesterday, and was still disappointed. My sister used to wear it, and I would steal a squirt here and there. It's muskier, yet sharper. I didn't try any, so I don't know how it dries down, but I don't remember it being musky. Just powdery. It was a good scent.

Speaking of phallic, remember Tickle deodorant?

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    So far (knocking wood hard) First and Opium smell the same. I've been wearing them since the early 80's and they're my signature colognes. I would freak OUT if they changed them.
    Both smell like cat pee on me anyway. I tried the new Opium Belle yesterday because the woman said "it's just like Chanel No.19" (my all time fave). Well it doesn't come close, it's not as cloying as the standard Opium but it's still not for me. Too much vanilla or something.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    From the original article:

So we're all screwed. It's happening at an accelerated pace. Soon nothing will be the same.

Chalet, I sniffed some Love's Baby Soft again yesterday, and was still disappointed. My sister used to wear it, and I would steal a squirt here and there. It's muskier, yet sharper. I didn't try any, so I don't know how it dries down, but I don't remember it being musky. Just powdery. It was a good scent.

Speaking of phallic, remember Tickle deodorant?

I remember the Tickle commercial. Oh yes, the Love's Baby soft was all about powdery. I have smelled the new one at the drugstore and it's not the same at all.

I used to wear Halston and Chanel 19 as a teen (everyone was wearing Charlie) and Lauren in my 20's . I've seen the Halston bottle around and wonder if it's the same.

I used to like Obsession, wonder if it's changed.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I know a lot of people like Opium, but I get sick just from a whiff of it. My high school best friend's mother always wore it. She went through a large bottle of it every 2-3 months. The car reeked of it, her office, the house, clothes that had been washed, my best friend....that scent was in everything. Literally, my best friend could ride to school in the car with her mother in the morning, and after hanging out with her all day, I could smell it on me when I went home. Yikes!

My mother always wore Poison and I miss that scent so much. Me, I pretty much stick to Body by Victoria and several different ones from Avon.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Halston has been reformulated more than once, according to the perfume websites. Here's a review a commenter wrote on the 1970's version that I thought was cute:

It goes well with suntan and cigarettes, glam rock, safari clothes and unprotected sex.
    I definitely associate it with safari clothes in my head. Lauren also reminds me of safaris. Was that part of their original ad campaign?

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I know a lot of people like Opium, but I get sick just from a whiff of it. My high school best friend's mother always wore it. She went through a large bottle of it every 2-3 months. The car reeked of it, her office, the house, clothes that had been washed, my best friend....that scent was in everything. Literally, my best friend could ride to school in the car with her mother in the morning, and after hanging out with her all day, I could smell it on me when I went home. Yikes!

My mother always wore Poison and I miss that scent so much. Me, I pretty much stick to Body by Victoria and several different ones from Avon.
    Ack - Poison is exactly that! If you don't like Opium I don't understand how you can even think about Poison. I had a co-worker who used to stink up the entire building with it. You could smell her before she even got through the door. Gag. To be fair, it's not a "daytime" scent anyway.

The perfumes I assosiate with my mother are L'Air du Temps during the day and Je Reviens by Worth at night. It was SO glamorous. Hate both of them on me mind you.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have a bottle of The Body Shop's White musk oil from when I was in high school and it still smells incredible. The smell lasts forever, too. However, I've read recent reviews online and every one was a complaint about how cheap and awful the new version is. Apparently they changed the formula (though they've denied it) and the scent is completely different and no longer lasts. I'm dreading the day my little bottle runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Ack - Poison is exactly that! If you don't like Opium I don't understand how you can even think about Poison. I had a co-worker who used to stink up the entire building with it. You could smell her before she even got through the door. Gag. To be fair, it's not a "daytime" scent anyway.

Well, my mom only ever wore a tiny dab maybe once a month, only on certain occasions so I never had a chance to get sick of it. I agree though, not a "daytime" scent. It's amazing how much a certain scent can be associated with a person, place, event, etc. And how much we can want to strangle someone who bathes in a scent. My SIL kind of did that too, but with Davidoff Cool Water, another one I can't stand now.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Didn't L'Oreal buy The Body Shop a few years ago? I'm not surprised that they changed things. I've pretty much stopped going to the Body Shop--the only thing I like there any more is the Peppermint Foot Lotion, which has become obscenely expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information