Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The 'perfect' smile

^Some people have cosmetic dentistry and you can't even tell (unless you knew their teeth before); thats a good job in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddvideo View Post
    I love imperfect teeth, it gives people character. The whole veneer thing has gotten totally out of hand, it like the new breast implants, everyone just has to have them

To me there is one thing that looks worse than crooked teeth, and that's fake teeth. So if you are going to get them done, be sure your know what your getting... and remember your teeth will never feel normal again.

I actually posted about awhile ago on her about getting my teeth done and I realized it was stupid and I was happy with what I have, a nice normally white, imperfect smile

Just remember...
    Porcelin is meant for toilets, not teeth !!!!
    Update for me, I cracked and got Invisalign I'm such a whore to beauty. It should take about 8 months to re-align my teeth, but the beauty is you really can't see the Invisalign retainers. I didn't really think they would be completely invisable but they pretty much are. I am happy that I will have straighter teeth, but happier that they will still be real

I will admit that I love a perfect smile. I don't hold it against anyone who has an imperfect smile though. I would rather see teeth like Britney Spears (even though I don't particularly like her) than say Kirsten Dunst's fangs.

If you want to get veeners or braces invisalign or other, then I say go for it. Just do your research well first.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by kiddvideo View Post
    Update for me, I cracked and got Invisalign I'm such a whore to beauty. It should take about 8 months to re-align my teeth, but the beauty is you really can't see the Invisalign retainers. I didn't really think they would be completely invisable but they pretty much are. I am happy that I will have straighter teeth, but happier that they will still be real
    Yay! That's cool. Do they hurt? Were they expensive? I went to their website and decided that's what i want to do rather than get veneers.

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    Yay! That's cool. Do they hurt? Were they expensive? I went to their website and decided that's what i want to do rather than get veneers.
    They don't really hurt, well the top ones at least. Bottom are a bit sensitive when I brush but nothing overly bad.

They are expensive it's around 4,000$ for the 8 months. But all my friends think they are cool

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    ^ Did having the veneers cause the root canal??

I've been seriously considering the veneers on my front two teeth, since one is already chipped. I've got a bonding or some material that adheres to the tooth.

It would be nice to have a cap because of when I bite down when eating food.
    A cap is weaker than the bonding material you have on your tooth now. You would have to be very careful biting down on anything with a cap/crown because it will come off or break. A veneer is stronger than a cap because you will have more of your tooth structure left.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Gold Member

I got braces back in December 04 when I was 15 and got them off in Febuary 06 right before I turned 17. I got the clear bands for my top teeth and very much regret that. No matter how hard I tried to keep them clean, they stained oh so easily. I think back and am so thankful I got braces. It didn't make my teeth "perfect", there is one tooth that would still easily turn if I was to stop wearing my retainer to bed and I haven't broke down to bleaching my teeth due to the fact that it could eat the enamel away and my teeth are shiny. I hate that I will have to wear my retainer for a pretty good while, but it's still worth it since they are my teeth and I get compliments on them a lot.

I can't stand Veneers. It's just another superficial thing that Holywood has pressured us into thinking is something we need to be "hot".

Hey Kidd, i just got Invisalign last week and am wondering how you are doing? Mine will take about 8 months. Did you get the results you were wanting?
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Does anybody know what the condition I have on my teeth is called?

Since I was about four I have had teeth that are 'crinkle cut' on the bottom like a potato chip - they're not hugely obvious and it doesn't look like chipped teeth, just small little waves and dips on the bottom.

One person suggested that it was the enamel breaking away, but they've always been this way and they're fairly white and not rotting or anything.

I once asked a dentist and she just shrugged it off and didn't say much - she was a real bitch too! I must admit I fear the dentist but will go shortly to ask if they can reline the bottom I just can't find anything like it on the internet to compare to.
    ssabmud

I hate manicured teeth. Never wore braces because my father didn't want to pay for them (even though he kept mocking me about them). I have buck teeth (I'm sure lots of you would think they are awful), but I can't be arsed to do anything about them now... Maybe when I'm rich...
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Quote Originally Posted by Folieadeux View Post
    Does anybody know what the condition I have on my teeth is called?

Since I was about four I have had teeth that are 'crinkle cut' on the bottom like a potato chip - they're not hugely obvious and it doesn't look like chipped teeth, just small little waves and dips on the bottom.

One person suggested that it was the enamel breaking away, but they've always been this way and they're fairly white and not rotting or anything.

I once asked a dentist and she just shrugged it off and didn't say much - she was a real bitch too! I must admit I fear the dentist but will go shortly to ask if they can reline the bottom I just can't find anything like it on the internet to compare to.

Folie, i think what you are talking about is the biting edge of your teeth? Adult teeth come in with those little ridges on them, but most of them wear off while we are growing up. If the edges don't meet properly, then sometimes the biting surface doesn't get a chance to wear off. My bottom teeth are like that, because the edges don't meet enough to wear the bumps down. You can see the edges in this pic http://z.hubpages.com/u/450149_f248.jpg
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

^ That picture is how baby teeth grow in too. They look weird, like ridges and sometimes look chipped.

I asked about it when my daughter had her first dentist appointment. The dentist said it's normal and they wear down eventually when kids learn how to chew better.

I assume adult teeth would be the same too, just like t13nif said.

My son has those ridges on his adult teeth that just grew in
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    Folie, i think what you are talking about is the biting edge of your teeth? Adult teeth come in with those little ridges on them, but most of them wear off while we are growing up. If the edges don't meet properly, then sometimes the biting surface doesn't get a chance to wear off. My bottom teeth are like that, because the edges don't meet enough to wear the bumps down. You can see the edges in this pic http://z.hubpages.com/u/450149_f248.jpg
    Oh my god. That is exactly what they're like on the top, just a lot less noticeable. I have all my adult teeth though and at this age, you'd think they'd have worn themselves down! Funnily enough, I have never chewed with my front teeth - does anyone? Maybe that's why they're still there. Thanks so much!

I have an appt. in 3 weeks and will see what can be done then... this sounds weird, maybe they can sand them down?

Is there a name for this occurrence?
    ssabmud

^ Yeah, they can totally fix that easily. It's called tooth contouring/reshaping. It's usually something like $50+ a tooth, depending on how bad you need it.

I had it done when I got my braces off. It doesn't hurt and it's quick.

ETA, I found this, it has some good info:

cosmetic dentistry reshaping and dental contouring

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information