Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The 'perfect' smile

^^ I have porcelian tips of my two front teeth. NOt intentionally. They were chipped by a accident.
    The porcelian seems to adhere really well.

yeah i have had my veneers for about two years and i have not had a problem with them yet. but i did have a problem with my original tooth that they put it on it started to hurt and they went in and did a root canal and now it is better.

^ Did having the veneers cause the root canal??

I've been seriously considering the veneers on my front two teeth, since one is already chipped. I've got a bonding or some material that adheres to the tooth.

It would be nice to have a cap because of when I bite down when eating food.
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; November 16th, 2007 at 06:03 PM.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Kind of like getting acrylic nails only your teeth don't grow out? Which reminds me there is this new gel that is used for dental stuff that is now being used for a nail overlay but the nail salons are charging almost $100 for a full set and that's insane.

I love the idea of anything that would fix my horrendous smile. I know that veneers would be ideal because I'm 22 and it's a quick fix, but I also know that my teeth are in pretty good condition aside from being really out of alignment.

I just worry that with braces I'll be living in them for years (not just one) and I'll have to endure a lot of painful procedures to even get them to the point of even being able to have braces on them.

It's not something I need to worry about now anyway, I don't have the money for either option!
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Wow, finding this thread is timely! I just talked about this with my dentist last week. My teeth were horrific when i was young-so bad that the dental college wouldn't take me because my case was so bad. They wanted to break my jaw (mom refused) and as it was, i had permanent molars pulled. I had braces for 4 years and when i got them off, they were great.
    Twenty years later, my teeth have relapsed. They aren't too bad, but my bottoms are quite crooked and one of them has pushed my upper teeth out of alignment. My dentist fit me with some retainers which worked somewhat but i stopped wearing them when my teeth improved . I tried to wear them again lately but my teeth have shifted and the retainers no longer fit. I am an actor, so having a good smile is important.
    My dentist said i have 2 options--Invisalign or veneers.She recently got a full set of veneers and they look great. She seemed to be quite enthusiastic about doing them. My insurance would cover 50% of the Invisalign but none of the veneers. She said i would need 6 uppers to start, at $800 per tooth ( a good rate).
    The veneers looked really appealing but reading this thread makes me really cautious. My ex had 2 awful veneers (chiclets) so of course that worries me. I am also not liking the thought of having unnatural teeth that are not 'me'. Not really sure of what to do.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Slight imperfections give the smile more personality. I hate the bleached, straight-chiclets-in-a-row look.

I prefer imperfect teeth too.

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    My insurance would cover 50% of the Invisalign but none of the veneers. She said i would need 6 uppers to start, at $800 per tooth ( a good rate).
    The veneers looked really appealing but reading this thread makes me really cautious. My ex had 2 awful veneers (chiclets) so of course that worries me. I am also not liking the thought of having unnatural teeth that are not 'me'. Not really sure of what to do.
    What is Invisalign?

Oh, no, chiclets for teeth! That is horrific!

I would never want veneers, but I'm uncomfortable with dentistry and orthodontics in general. I'm lucky in that my natural teeth are very straight and quite white thanks to regular brushing. From the ages of eight to twelve, I had a noticable gap between my front teeth and the dentist tried to talk me into braces. Luckily, I didn't go for it because over time, the gap has narrowed almost all the way thanks to my natural growth - I would have had crowded teeth if I'd gone the braces route.

All this makes me naturally suspicious of veneers. If you have a nice set of teeth already, it's probably better not to mess with good genes.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

I don't know if it's neccessarilly good genes....

Some people just put veneers on the front two, I think?

Update; I like my teeth. The braces did their job. The orthodontist told me that once the brace was off the tooth i didnt like, it would look different, and she was right; the tooth was fine after all; it was just the brace that made it look like it was going to be smaller and not fit with my other teeth.

So no veneers for me. I'm glad because i hate the idea of having something on my teeth that needs maintenance.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    What is Invisalign?

Oh, no, chiclets for teeth! That is horrific!
    Invisalign is touted as the invisible braces. They are clear retainer-like things that are worn 24/7 except for eating. Apparently they work just as well as braces. After the teeth have moved to where they are supposed to, a permanent retainer is fitted on the inside of the teeth so they never slip again. Not too sure i like that option either. I guess i could go on an appointment with an orthodontist to get more information.

Most people's teeth yellow as they age. Genetics do play a big role in the health of your teeth, but diet and hygiene are also important. I prefer imperfect teeth too -- up to a point. I'm lucky that my teeth have always been pretty good and although I probably should have had braces for my overbite, it doesn't bother me that much.

I do whiten my teeth because they are getting a bit more yellow than I like, despite giving up red wine for the most part. But my teeth have never been bright white, and neither are most people's. I hate the blinding white chiclet teeth that seem to be the norm these days on TV and the movies. It just screams fake to me.

My husband had veneers done for a few of his upper teeth recently, and they look better. He had the typical bad, British teeth, mostly due to lack of good nutrition when he was a child.

If you have real issues, I have no problem with getting your teeth spruced up. But I must say, I'm not a fan of the overly manicured Hollywood mouth.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information