Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: The Nail Polish/Anything to Do with Nails Thread

Ahhh! I put that name in Google Images and now I'm blinded. Now THAT'S neon.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Yes! I put 2 coats over white and it glows. Looks great with a tan.

Default The Nail Polish/Anything to Do with Nails Thread

I'd like suggestions on nail polishes - currently I am 100% stuck on OPI. It's the only polish I use that doesn't seem to streak when I apply, and looks professionally done, doesn't seem to chip as badly, etc.

I'm currently wearing Tutti Frutti Tonga, which is an awesome shade. It's this light pink color with more of a pearl finish, it looks great against my pale skin. You can apply one coat, two for more of an opaque finish. I go with two.

I've been kind of on a binge this past week, I also bought Miami Beet again:

Modern Girl, which doesn't appear so orange on me:

and Ate Berries in the Canaries, which looks kind of pink here but it's more of a purple on me:

- ALL of which I would recommend. What about anyone else - I'm looking for great colors.

Also, any suggestions on basecoats and topcoats? I use Essie No Chips as a topcoat but it doesn't work so well since my nails seem to take a beating. I need something that is strengthening, too. Let me know all about your favorites and suggestions!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

This is our family favorite from summer.

OPI Shanghai Shimmer F01 0.5 oz.

I just tried this one last night for fall and was really pleased. Wide brush, works smooth & fast.

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure - Raisin the Bar

I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i think we should probably merge this thread with the 'what colour is your pedicure?' one and have everything in one place. mods?

i wear a lot of black and grey and blue and would probably get scolded by all you colour-whores here for not wearing enough colour but perhaps because of that, i looooove bright coloured nail polish. i don't like pearl finishes though, or anything iridescent really, except for this one mac metallic aubergine polish.
    i like very saturated colours that 'pop' and i'm a whore for blue reds.

i would recommend opi malaga wine:

and essie garnet:

also love dark dark reds.
    chanel rouge noir is a classic.

Last edited by sputnik; August 29th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

No matter what I do, my polish chips. Even OPI. Any suggestions?
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    No matter what I do, my polish chips. Even OPI. Any suggestions?
    Two coats of topcoat or even clear should work.

Sput, I was noticing a silver grey shade. I wondered how that would look with black.
    I love blue reds,also. Orange reds don't do well on me.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

silver grey would look great with black methinks.

and i'm the same with reds - it has to be blue reds. i need cool tones in general, warm-based colours don't work on me at all.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    silver grey would look great with black methinks.

and i'm the same with reds - it has to be blue reds. i need cool tones in general, warm-based colours don't work on me at all.
    When I get cold I swear I turn purple. I have to take care not to clash!

. i don't like pearl finishes though,
    Do you find yourself thinking of them as old? I know I do. I just associate the pearl finishes with old ladies. I guess they were popular at one point and an older generation clung to them as I was growing up. Like those big earrings and oversized beads.

That being said, I do have one in a pinky-beige that I like because it's a neutral yet doesn't look as weird as the same colour would flat. Also, minor chips and dings don't show up in that colour!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^^^
    yes. though there are some 'old lady' things that i love, like large beads lol (in some cases) and retro purses and vintagey stuff.
    but i really hate pearl nail polish and pearly or frosted lip colour too. i like shiny lips but without any sparkly or frosted or iridescent bits. hate that.

McJag, I was thinking about buying that Shanghai Shimmer but got the Tutti Frutti Tonga instead. I actually don't mind pearl finishes if the nail polish is very light or neutral. The one I posted is very pretty but not so pearl-like, if that makes sense, it would look odd if it was matte in my opinion. But yes, frosted lipstick? Hell no! That's a whole different monster, in my opinion. *shivers*

I love all of Sput's choices, but I'm afraid they would look garish on me, especially the Chanel. I have to be really careful with plums/reds/blacks with those overtones. They're the type of colors I always admire on someone else, get them, and go "ugh, why?" It's funny how one person can rock a nail polish and the other can look absolutely awful in that shade.

So, drugstore.com has 20% off of OPI when you buy 2, and free shipping when you buy $25 worth of stuff. I got to use my rewards cash that I had just sitting there and it was pretty sweet. I bought Italian Love Affair:

Japanese Rose Garden:

and I'm Really Not a Waitress:

I'm waiting to see how the last one turns out, could be hideous against my skin tone or it could turn out fabulous - I had a similar color about a year ago that looked amazing.

I'm not liking Essie - every Essie nail polish I get looks incredibly streaky for some reason when I try to apply it.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

i think we should probably merge this thread with the 'what colour is your pedicure?' one and have everything in one place. mods?
    Yeah, good idea. There are some great suggestions over in the pedicure thread. I fell in love with OPI's Got the Blues for Red from that thread.

^^^
    i'm trying to track that one down here, along with opi quarter of a cent cherry. my quest for the perfect blue red continues.

My fingers.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information